PDA

View Full Version : Summer solstice

lynnala
June 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM
The summer solstice is tomorrow (at least here in N. America). Wondering if there is any hair lore associated with it? Like, is it a good time to trim, or make it grow.....anyone have any stories?

teela1978
June 20th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I don't know how much lore there is into it, but I trimmed yesterday because I won't have time tomorrow. I've been trimming on solstices and equinoxes for a little over a year I think. Every 3 months feels like a good period for trims :)

hemolymph
June 20th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Trimming on the solstices/equinoxes is a COOL idea!

I am a winter gal myself, so the thought that the days are about to get shorter instead of longer makes me super happy!

We were up very early this morning and it was so bright out! Definitely almost to the peak!

Medievalmaniac
June 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM
well, traditionally the Solstice is a time for reflecting on your burdens and problems and asking for guidance and aid with them - so I should imagine that yes, if you were to have some specific hair issues that you were obsessing over, the Solstice would be a good time to seek spiritual aid in your hair quest. My recommendation is to wear a yellow or red hair toy, to honor the god of the sun, and maybe burn some herbs you might use in your hair with a few drops of the essential oil / oil you use in your hair in a ritual. :)

Rapunzal2Be
June 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM
According to this chart, which I started following just a little over a month ago, the Summer Solstice is the best time during the summer months in which to trim your hair!

https://morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-chart

It's been working wonders for me, in even just this short of a time.

On June 4th I measured at 22.75" and on June 6th (one of the days recommended to thicken) I trimmed back to 22.25" and tonight (June 20th) I just measured and it is already 22.5".

(Considering it took me from February 25th until May 26th to go from 22" to 22.5" you can see why I am overjoyed at this new rate of growth!)

I am planning on trimming/dusting tomorrow. I do not necessarily want to lose too much of my new growth, but I am trying to thicken up my hemline and I completely believe that trimming on the lunar schedule is helping to boost my growth rate.

lynnala
June 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for that link, Rapunzal2Be. I think I'll give myself a little Power Dusting today! Happy solstice, everyone!

NorthernDancer
June 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM
I love the idea of cutting on the solstice/equinoxes! What a great way to keep me from trimming to often. :D

Blessed Solstice!

Tiina
June 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Where I come from (Estonia) there are no traditions that directly link hair and the solstice but there are a few that improve a persons health (thus maybe hair health as well). In the evening we light a bonfire and staying in it's smoke is supposed to have healing properties. It is also common to jump over the fire as fire has cleansing properties.

Another thing that cleanses the body and the soul is wind. On solstice many go to large wooden swings that can fit a several people. http://www.vanakivi.ee/admin/gd/image/0_3870831893c9.jpg <- this is what they look like. :)

It is also believed that the morning dew after the night of solstice brings beauty.

I don't know much hairrelated lore but I do know that you must never simply throw away the hair you have cut, trimmed, shed or broken. You have to burn it or bury it because it is a part of your body that is now dead and you have to give it a 'funeral'. If you don't, the rest of your hair will want to come off as well.

jane53
June 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Well, I can tell you that the solstice here is NASTY.

98 degrees, very humid and sunny, with an air-quality alert in the danger zone.

Ai-yie-yie! Save me!

halo_tightens
June 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
Well, I can tell you that the solstice here is NASTY.

98 degrees, very humid and sunny, with an air-quality alert in the danger zone.

Ai-yie-yie! Save me!

Are you my neighbor? :p

That's exactly what it's like here today. It really feels like stepping into a sauna when you walk out the door.

Actually, it's been this way for several days now, and is predicted to be the same for several days to come! I'm so glad to have air conditioning at home and at work. I think I would faint without it. :o

jane53
June 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM
Are you my neighbor? :p

That's exactly what it's like here today. It really feels like stepping into a sauna when you walk out the door.

Actually, it's been this way for several days now, and is predicted to be the same for several days to come! I'm so glad to have air conditioning at home and at work. I think I would faint without it. :o

And air conditioning in the car. I duck from one air conditioned environment to the other and can't stand to stay outdoors!

Actually, I'm probably 500-600 miles south of you in Alabama.

eschmi1
June 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM
I know how you feel. Eek, it is pretty toasty down here too. I think the high is going to be 106 F. At least we don't have the humidity, though.

jane53
June 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM
106 is HOT HOT HOT, with or without the humidity!

But the humidity is truly nasty.

And because of the geography/geology here, we get massive temperature inversions, which means very bad air quality.

halo_tightens
June 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
And air conditioning in the car. I duck from one air conditioned environment to the other and can't stand to stay outdoors!

Actually, I'm probably 500-600 miles south of you in Alabama.

Yes, in the car, too! But it's so hot when you first get in... even hotter than it is outside, know what I mean? It's like an oven on wheels! (And I'm afraid to leave a window open because a wasp might get in. :D) Once it gets cooled off, though, I can set it to recirculate the already-cooled interior air, and it's heavenly. :)

jackiesjottings
June 23rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
I agree, having the solstices and equinoxes as trim day is a brilliant idea :) I only do micro trims anyway. But it would remind me to check if I need to do one!

ericthegreat
June 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
I'm actually going to limit my trimming this summer. Since the hottest months are also when your hair typically grows the fastest, I certainly don't want to cut off all this great new growth!
I think I'll just limit myself to a slight dusting every six weeks or so, so I'll only do about two trims total this summer.

RedStripe
June 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Where I come from (Estonia) there are no traditions that directly link hair and the solstice but there are a few that improve a persons health (thus maybe hair health as well). In the evening we light a bonfire and staying in it's smoke is supposed to have healing properties. It is also common to jump over the fire as fire has cleansing properties.

Another thing that cleanses the body and the soul is wind. On solstice many go to large wooden swings that can fit a several people. http://www.vanakivi.ee/admin/gd/image/0_3870831893c9.jpg <- this is what they look like. :)

It is also believed that the morning dew after the night of solstice brings beauty.

I don't know much hairrelated lore but I do know that you must never simply throw away the hair you have cut, trimmed, shed or broken. You have to burn it or bury it because it is a part of your body that is now dead and you have to give it a 'funeral'. If you don't, the rest of your hair will want to come off as well.

Oh, that is cool! I want to ride on one of those swings.

atlantaz3
June 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
I can just see the look on my stylist's face when I ask for the hair she cut off so I can bury it. (But if it makes shedding stop!!) My dh would put me away. :cool: