PDA

View Full Version : Updos with hats?

Gnomentum
June 20th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I'm trying to keep my hair in an updo every day but now the summer has arrived, I find I need to wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes (shades on their own just aren't enough, I'm very sunlight-shy!)

Does anyone have any ideas for attractive updos that would work with a hat that fits when my hair is down? Normally I wear a Barmah leather hat like THIS (http://www.barmahhats.com.au/squashy.asp#squashyfullgrain) one, or a straw/paper mix hat of a similar shape.

Edit: Yes, I know 'attractive' and 'outback hat' aren't normally seen in the same sentence, but I just don't suit more girly styles!

spidermom
June 20th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I put my hat on and then a low bun under it. It also works to braid my hair, then lift the end/s of the braid/s to the top of my head and put the hat over them, which pins the braids into place. A ball cap is great because I can pull my hair through the gap in the back, bun it, and pin it down with a small fork right at the gap. It keeps my hat from blowing off even in fierce wind and/or activity.

sweet*things
June 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I need help with this too. Is there anything besides a low braid that will fit under a hat? I was at a garden party yesterday and really wished I could have had my hair up, but I couldn't figure out a bun that would work.

Pixna
June 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I've got the same problem with wearing a bicycle helmet. All I've come up with is a braid, too.

Blandine
June 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Gibson braids look cute with a hat. (I have a Barmah leather hat, too, by the way!)

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Check out Gone With the Wind. Those styles would work under that hat.
Also a Gibson tuck might work.

For what it's worth, I actually kind of like that outback hat! I like a wide brim, and more masculine hats as well.

Gnomentum
June 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Low bun should work - and has in the past - as a protective updo, but it generally has to be quite a tight bun to work with those hats; not the prettiest once I take the hat off! I quite like the bun-through-the-back-of-the-hat idea for outdoorsy days.

Sweet*things - I LOVE your avatar :)

Gnomentum
June 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hee! I'm glad my hat meets approval.. I *love* the thing, it's so comfortable and does exactly what I want no matter whether it's tropical heat or sheet ice outdoors! It's not elegant but I kind of think it suits me - sadly my OH doesn't agree.. heh.. one thing I refuse to compromise on if the weather and situation demand comfort.

Angeletti
June 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
so I usually do this style higher up on my head but I saw this thread and thought I would try to make it hat friendly by making a lower ponytail as a start place. Here are the pics, looks like it would work for a hat

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/12.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/13.jpg

IcarusBride
June 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Angeletti, I really like that bun! I looks so elaborate!

A lot of people suggested buns at the nape, but maybe you could also try off to one side?

misstwist
June 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I wear a very high bun with my hat. I have the second hat herehttp://www.bigbendsaddlery.com/hatsp.html that I've shaped to a pinch-front crown.

plainjanegirl
June 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
so I usually do this style higher up on my head but I saw this thread and thought I would try to make it hat friendly by making a lower ponytail as a start place. Here are the pics, looks like it would work for a hat

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/12.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/13.jpg

How did you make that bun?

McFearless
June 20th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I wear a fedora often during the summer and I usually just do a low chignon. It stays in place and its not messy.

JenniferNoel
June 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Gibson tucks and nape cinnabuns work for me when I wear those kinds of hats, but remember, I have shorter hair and bangs, so that makes for tiny buns.
Angeletti - I love the look of that!

TiaKitty
June 20th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I like to make two braids and criss cross them on top of my head first, put the hat on over them, and take each end and go across the back of my head, and tuck it in at ear-level on the opposite side. If the braids are nice and flat, it doesn't really add that much diameter to the hat size.

I think this is maybe Heidi braids?

Angeletti
June 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
thanks! it's super easy to do... I just start with a ponytail then take small sections and twist them around my finger and secure with a bobby pin. I try to place each pinned curl around the base of the ponytail.

Miriah
June 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM
All great ideas, but is there a trick to keeping it low enough that it's out of the way and still just high enough that the nape of your neck doesn't get so uncomfortable?

I'm playing with the idea of making a hat with a bit more room in the crown for the summer. Has anyone else tried this with any success?

Milui Elenath
June 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I have to wear a hat for work and I also need to wear my hair up. If I wear a low bun I get a headache so I usually do a nautilus bun as its flat and secure with a very short hairstick in the middle of my head. Depending on the thickness of your hair, a figure 8 also works for me. I think the main thing is to use a style that is as flat as possible secured by an equally flat or small hair toy.

On a side note

snip

Edit: Yes, I know 'attractive' and 'outback hat' aren't normally seen in the same sentence, but I just don't suit more girly styles!

You are not from Australia are you? :eyebrows: and you haven't seen Mcleod's daughters.

Gnomentum
June 21st, 2010, 01:18 AM
Angeletti - I love that! How did you do it?

I'm going to work on my Gibson tuck (at the moment it's not fit to be seen in public, but neither was my french twist a week or two ago and I seem to have got there now!)..

I'm not sure what Gibson braids are? The only descriotion I have found is Here (http://www.ehow.com/way_5709021_step_by_step-instructions-different-hair-braids.html) and I'm not sure if this is right, and if it is, quite how it should look...

misstwist - a high bun wouldn't work with the hats I have as the crowns are pretty much touching my head.. but you've prodded me into wondering about crown braids.. if I positioned them just right they would fit into the 'corners' of my hat..

Icarusbride - it would look cool but I don't cope well with the feel of asymmetrical styles.. I suppose I could do two low buns though, one on each side!

I think that covers everyone? Thanks for all the responses.. :)

Gnomentum
June 21st, 2010, 01:25 AM
Oops, no I missed a whole bunch of you!

I'm off out just now, I'll respond again later.. but, Milui Elenath, no, I'm not Australian and neither have I seen McLeod's Daughters!

Hiriel
June 21st, 2010, 02:13 AM
If you're wearing a hat to keep sun away from your eyes, not from your hair, you could also try something like this (http://www.headcovers.com/11447/deluxe-sun-visor-for-scarves/). There's room in the back for a bun :)

meph
June 21st, 2010, 03:56 AM
A crown braid ? Braids pinned flat against your head ? Maybe a bun that lays flat ? Don't know if it's do-able, but those are the first things that I think of. I think it's best to experiment and see what feels the most comfortable for you. And trying different updos is fun. :p

Patty lou
June 21st, 2010, 06:10 AM
I love big hats in the summer and find wearing my hair up in Milkmaid style braids
(2 braids pinned across the top of my head) works great.

Patty_lou

myotislucifugus
June 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
I know buns have been mentioned, but a low chinese bun is usually what I do in winter, with the pin low enough it doesn't hit the brim

Anje
June 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
I tend to like a low horizontal bun, like an infinity bun under a hat. That works well with a hairstick, too, which is often the most comfortable way for me to bun my hair. Alternatively, flattish cinnamon buns secured with pins at the crown often work for me. However, I don't have iii hair and I tend to look for hats with some hair room.

For helmets, I'm known to braid my hair, then loop the bottom of the braid up to make a loop. This gets the ends out of the sun at least, and it prevents me from having a long braid swinging near the top tube of my bike.

TiaKitty
June 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Try the Milkmaid braids! They are so comfortable under a hat.

Fractalsofhair
June 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
I think a low braided bun would look great, personally.

Gnomentum
June 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Wow, some great suggestions there, thankyou all! Time to get experimenting.

And that scarf brim looks pretty cute..! Might have to invest in that.. and some scarves.. :)