PDA

View Full Version : Um... I think I need hairtyping help...

Ravenne
June 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Well.. after a recent "how to hairtype" thread, I decided to try hairtyping again to see if I got it wrong the first time around.. My results this time are dramatically different from last time. If I had to guess I'd say I was a 1c or even a 2a, but I'm really not sure... Any help would be appreciated. Here's what I actually did (let me know if I did this wrong... :o

I did a CWC, like I normally do. Tresemmé Naturals for the first C, Suave Cherry Blossom for the W and White Rain Lavendar & Vanilla on my whole head for the second C. I didn't comb at all in the shower and carefully blotted it dry with a towel. Normally I squeeze it with the towel, but I tried not to mess with how it was laying as much as possible. I didn't touch it at all except for right before I took the picture. I kind of "fluffed" my scalp hair a little so it wasn't flat but I didn't run my fingers through the length. So.. here's the results...

Here it is with no manipulation other than the scalp fluffin'.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4935&pictureid=74814

And here it is combed with a wide tooth comb. Sorry this one's so fuzzy. I tried to take a better one but my camera's batteries died right after taking this.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4935&pictureid=74815

I'm wavier than I thought...

loralie
June 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
The most important part about hairtyping is NOT using conditioner- conditioner does weigh the hair down and impair a clear idea of hair texture. It's exactly why I haven't done a hairtyping check- I'm too afraid to not condition my hair... I think I'm paranoid it will be so dry and start breaking.

That being said, I think you're probably right about 1c/2a... as it would be a little wavier had you not used conditioner.

Either way, your hair is beautiful!! Love your natural color.

hemolymph
June 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I second the 1c/2a.. I just looked through some pics for comparison purposes! Love your natural color, as well. Are you growing it out?

Sarahmoon
June 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
It's definitely more wavy than 1b. 1c/2a seems a good guess.

Ravenne
June 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys. :) Maybe I'll try again in the future to do this without conditioner but.. I just keep remembering how in middle school I never used conditioner and shampooed my whole head daily... Nightmares ensued. Lol!

Love your natural color, as well. Are you growing it out?

I am. :D I can't wait for completely virgin hair. The more it grows out the more I love my natural color and want the dyed portion gone. Lol. Thank you. :)

spidermom
June 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have never heard "don't use conditioner."

I'd type you at 2A.

jane53
June 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I haven't a clue what my hair type is, even though I entered a type in my profile.

loralie
June 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM

I'd type you at 2A.

Sorry spidermom! I swore I read somewhere not to condition, but I think I must have misunderstood the "do not use product" guideline. I guess I figured it would give a more accurate representation of curl, but yeah. we condition normally so why wouldn't we.

OperaTeacherMom
June 20th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Me either, I couldn't do it if I wasn't allowed to use conditioner since I co-wash! I even turned my head upside down and tousled it a little when I washed mine for typing, since my fine hair tends to stick to my head if I don't.

OP, I think you are a 2a, maybe a few spots are more 1c though. Your natural hair growing in is a very pretty color :)

melikai
June 20th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Your hair looks extremely similar to mine! I vote 1c/2a. :)

teela1978
June 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'd call it 2a. And I've always used conditioner for hair typing :shrug:

Katze
June 21st, 2010, 04:13 AM
Hi hairtwin, in color and waviness! :cheese:

No, I have always understood it to be 'wash and air dry, do not use styling products or comb or manipulate in any way.'

Our hairtype is hard to deal with but can do many different looks, from mostly straight to very wavy.

Barniie
June 30th, 2010, 11:42 PM
O, i need hairtyping help too, ill post a piccie soon!

Barniie
July 1st, 2010, 03:14 AM
Here we are! Just a shampoo/condish wash, then parted my hair, and let it be!
Not as curly as i thought. First picture is with all my layers down, second is without.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZfFbfxHi-y4/TCxcOInu70I/AAAAAAAAABk/AJZRAtaugZk/s1600/190558.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZfFbfxHi-y4/TCxcCO1HtjI/AAAAAAAAABc/qJ-L-Jiyk9I/s1600/190635.jpg

Any help guys? Thanks!

Barniie
July 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM
*bump*

anybody? pleeasse

Kaileida
July 1st, 2010, 03:34 AM
Barniie your hair is lovely :) But you will have a more accurate hairtype if you let it grow more, looks like you have potential for well defined wurls but as it stands, maybe a 1b?

Barniie
July 1st, 2010, 03:37 AM
Great thanks :)