PDA

View Full Version : What exactly am I doing with this Aloe Vera Gel ??

UltraBella
June 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Okay, I have noticed several people mention using Aloe Vera Gel on their hair, so I bought some. But now I realized I am not completely sure I know what to do with it, lol !
Am I putting in my hair straight out if the bottle while my hair is damp ? Mixing it with something ?
Thank you ;)

Gumball
June 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
If it's 100% aloe vera gel, happily clear instead of Hulkishly green (with drying lidocaine, etc.), then it basically is a great very lightweight water soluble gel, so use it however you'd use that. I've used it on wet hair on occasion (it's been a while since I've used it in general), but more often than not I'd tame my baby wispies that basically cover my head with a combo of aloe gel followed by a boar bristle brush for smoothing. If you feel like mixing it with something I've mixed mine with coconut oil to good effect.

ukuleleclaire
June 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
As far as I know there are at least 2 ways to use the Aloe Vera gel!

There's an SMT http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128
and Kimberlily's defrizz spray which works wonders on my frizzy hair.

spidermom
June 20th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I use it like I would use any hair gel. It has very light hold.

Quixii
June 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I use it as a gel and scrunch it into wet hair. I follow that by plopping or just letting it air dry, but it seems to help my curls while being light weight enough that I don't feel gelled.
You can also use it in the SMT ukuleleclaire mentioned. :)

UltraBella
June 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
It's completely clear, and it says 100% Aloe Vera Gel. I just read the SMT, very interesting ! Going to have to try that. Where do I get info on Kimberlily's defrizz spray ? A quick search didn't yield the info I was looking for.
Thank you all !

katha
June 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I was wondering about this, too. I actually bought seeds for Aloe vera plants because of this. And because I like plants, obviously. ;D
So far no green on it so I'll have to wait.. but interesting, thanks for this thread! :)

Gumball
June 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM
It's completely clear, and it says 100% Aloe Vera Gel. I just read the SMT, very interesting ! Going to have to try that. Where do I get info on Kimberlily's defrizz spray ? A quick search didn't yield the info I was looking for.
Thank you all !

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277)'s the info on the defrizz spray for you, UltraBella!

eyesofsummer
June 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily

here's a link to the Kimberlily Defrizz Spray (I've never tried it, but it looks interesting!)

UltraBella
June 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you, thank you !! Off to get jojoba, glycerin and distiller water. Can't wait to try this !!!!!!! Maybe it will be the miracle I have been waiting for ;)
Any suggestions on which essential oils and how much to add ??

misstwist
June 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Thank you, thank you !! Off to get jojoba, glycerin and distiller water. Can't wait to try this !!!!!!! Maybe it will be the miracle I have been waiting for ;)
Any suggestions on which essential oils and how much to add ??

Remember that not all oils play well with all people. Jojoba oil makes my hair greasy in a way the coconut oil doesn't, even the amount used in this recipe. Grapeseed oil plays with my hair better in this recipe. I used the jojoba oil on other parts of my body.

Another use for the aloe gel is to mix it with coconut oil and use that as a defrizz gel and curl encouraging leave in. That's how I most often use it. A thread for this mix. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6508)

UltraBella
June 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have some grape seed oil, so I might try that.
I did use the Aloe Vera Gel today after my shower. On damp hair I misted my leave in conditioner and then I used the aloe gel instead of my regular $12 hair gel. The aloe worked well and my hair feels nice and soft. I think I am going to try the other recipes as well, and stock up on aloe too :)
I have had aloe in my cupboard for years in case of a burn or something, who knew I could have been putting it on my hair this whole time !

Crazycatlady
June 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Not sure if it's okay to ask this here, but does aloe vera gel clean your hair too? The reason I'm thinking this is because aloe vera is the second ingredient in my WEN cleaning conditioner. Maybe it's there as a conditoner or is it there as a cleaning agent?? Anyway, I was thinking of adding it to some of my other less expensive cond. or putting it on my hair dry before I CO. Thanks!

Yozhik
June 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I've just rediscovered the aloe I bought for SMTs last year in my bathroom cabinet and have been using it to great effect to battle my frizz and give good, non-crunchy wave definition. No special recipe for me -- just a glob of aloe scrunched through my wet hair, then a fingernail's worth of coconut oil.

Now if only I could get my hands on some more exotic oils for experimentation . . .

Crazycatlady, I don't know the answer to your question. It leaves my hands sticky and squeaky after I plop it through my hair, but I don't know if it would work as a cleanser, especially on dry hair. Now adding it to other conditioners -- that's basically like a modified SMT :)

TiaKitty
June 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I really like Kimberlily's defrizz spray. You could try it on your trip to Florida. It *might* be strong enough to fight off the sea spray and hellish humidity causing frizzes...

Since your hair seems to be close to mine in type, I just wanted to tell you about the effect glycerin had on my hair. Very strangely over moisturized, which caused extra frizzies, just bigger curl to them. If I understand correctly, glycerin is a humectant, so draws moisture to the hair...

UltraBella
June 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I really like Kimberlily's defrizz spray. You could try it on your trip to Florida. It *might* be strong enough to fight off the sea spray and hellish humidity causing frizzes...

Since your hair seems to be close to mine in type, I just wanted to tell you about the effect glycerin had on my hair. Very strangely over moisturized, which caused extra frizzies, just bigger curl to them. If I understand correctly, glycerin is a humectant, so draws moisture to the hair...

Yay !!!!!! You are right, I am getting ready to go to Florida !!!! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

I leave Thursday, and yes, I so need frizz help while there. I get off the plane and *POOF*

anthonyswife
June 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM
When I tried aloe vera (the clear kind by Fruit of the Earth) as a leave-in light hold gel, it caused horrible buildup that took three washes to get out (finally had to use shampoo, normally I CO).

However, when mixed with conditioner or other ingredients it makes for a great deep treatment, such as in SMT.

No one else seems to have the same problem with buildup so maybe it was just a fluke. I just thought I'd mention it in case you have the same problem, but I hope it works well for you!

Animae
June 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I mix it half and half with my other hair gel. I've been doing this for a month of so and I really like the fact that my hair seems softer and less frizzy, and my hair gel is lasting longer too. Which is nice for my wallet.