PDA

View Full Version : Just had my one length hair layered; Now it's knottier than ever!

pinchbeck
June 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM
When my hair gets longer than mid back length it gets hard to manage and it gets cut off; it must be my hair type and no matter what I do or what I put in it my hair knots up.

I decided to put layers into it (what a bizarre feeling it is having six inch pieces missing on my canopy). It looks okay, but it is knotting more than it ever did! I probably made a big mistake and now it will lead to more damage of my already fragile hair as the shorter pieces snag on to the longer pieces.

Does anyone else have horrible tangle issues with layers?

ETA: I should add that my hair no longer looks like it is thick. The layers somehow make my hair look thin and my waves are no longer apparent. I don't see how this could have happened since hair cannot suddenly decide to take on a different identity, but mine has and I am really not liking it. I wonder if there are any long hairs who have layered hair who like it and know how to work with it...

spidermom
June 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I have tangle issues no matter what - a side effect of having crazy, mixed-up hair, I think. I'm sorry to hear the layers didn't help.

MissMB
June 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'm not really sure if i can help, but I can list two circumstances in which my hair gets VERY tangled. I avoid them.

2. Low ponytail and sitting down against anything.
1. Putting it half up and tying it off. Oh. My. God. I've almost had to cut it.

pinchbeck
June 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I have tangle issues no matter what - a side effect of having crazy, mixed-up hair, I think. I'm sorry to hear the layers didn't help.I have mixed hair, too. Could this be why it tangles a lot? I get so fed up.

squiggyflop
June 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
my hair always tangles.. always.. when my hair is layered it tangles even more because the short hairs dont like to play with the long ones

*Aoife*
June 20th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Joining in here. My hair gets very tangley no matter what. Layers just make it worse! Sorry you have to go through this too.

LadyMydnytMoon
June 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I used to like layers because it helped me managed my shoulder length hair back in HS but not anymore now that I'm growing my hair long. It's hard to put my hair in neat braids or buns so I'm getting rid of them bit by bit. My hair usually tangles near the end too...

Wanderer09
June 20th, 2010, 09:52 AM
This is exactly why I'm growing out my layers. Sorry you have to go through this too. :(

Heavenly Locks
June 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Are you no cone? I hear that tangly hair can benefit from the slip of coney products...

pinchbeck
June 23rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Are you no cone? I hear that tangly hair can benefit from the slip of coney products...I am no cone and it has been suggested that cones may help. I am just worried about the potential for cone build up and than drying my hair out further by clarifying it because of the build up.

If I can find an unscented product with cones in it - I just might give it a try!

jane53
June 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
I don't know why my hair isn't tangly.

One thing: I never comb. It exacerbates tangles.

I let my hair dry as much as possible before brushing.

When I wash my hair before bed, I don't brush or comb it at all. I just braid it as is. When I wake up in the morning and unbraid it, I can run a brush through it without any tangles.

The only time I get tangles in my hair is if I ride in a convertible without an updo or a hat!

spidermom
June 23rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
I just don't see how a comb would exacerbate tangles and a brush doesn't. I always detangle with a comb before brushing because it's a slower, more careful process. With a brush, I'm more apt to rip through a tangle without even realizing it's there.

Anyway..........

Do you have a picture of the layered haircut in your album, pinchbeck? Because if you do, I couldn't tell it was layered.

pinchbeck
June 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Anyway..........

Do you have a picture of the layered haircut in your album, pinchbeck? Because if you do, I couldn't tell it was layered.No, not yet. I will upload one.

ETA: I added two images of my layers. Although they're blurry, one can get an idea of where the problems are coming from.

ifyouforget
June 24th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Not sure why it is, but I have to agree that combs cause more tangles than brushes. Perhaps more accurately, I can't seem to get all the tangles out with a comb, especially a wide toothed one. Hate to just throw an opinion out there without a good reason, but that's been my experience, at least.

YesitsReal
June 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
My hair is layered and tangles like crazy. I'm not sure if it's because of the layers, though. I can't stand not having layers right now because I suffer from severe triangle-head without layers. :p I had to switch back to cones because the tangles got so bad.

spidermom
June 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Those are blurry pictures, but far as I can tell, at least your tangly hair looks beautiful.

Mexibeach
June 24th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Oh no, and I have to grow out layers... ahhhhhhhhhhh:rolleyes: