PDA

View Full Version : When determining hair type..

hemolymph
June 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Are you allowed to comb your hair or finger through it after it's wet? I want to determine my hair type but now sure what I am allowed to do to it while it's drying.

Quixii
June 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Nope. No manipulation at all.
Believe it or not, one brief comb/brush through after your shower (or whatever) can make a big difference.

hemolymph
June 19th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Nope. No manipulation at all.
Believe it or not, one brief comb/brush through after your shower (or whatever) can make a big difference.

Darn, I already fudged it this round. I parted it to the side so it would dry that way.

Oh well, I'll still take pictures of the results but I'll have to wash it again and not touch it next time.

Ravenne
June 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM
That's an excellent question. I didn't know that... So once you step out of the shower you literally can't touch it at all? What about once it's dry? Can it be fingercombed or is it still off limits until you take the picture?

And for that matter, what about during the shower? Are certain products a no-no because they mess with hair typing?

Sorry for the question barrage. I just never considered this so now I'm curious! :p

MissManda
June 19th, 2010, 05:30 PM
If wish to detangle your hair, you should comb it while you are still in the shower with a wide-tooth comb. Make sure it is slathered in conditioner because that will make it easier to detangle. From what I understand, tangles can affect your typing results just like brushing. Correct me if I am wrong. :)

Other than that, no manipulation. No additional products.

Hope that helps.

Quixii
June 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM
As MissManda said, you can comb it in the shower. But once you step out, you really shouldn't touch it.

I just really want to enforce this because for years I thought I had frizzy, wavy hair, only because I brushed it as soon as I got out of the shower and didn't think about it. It wasn't until I let my hair air dry without touching it at all that I realized I had curls! Maybe for some hair types it doesn't make as much of a difference, but my hair looks enormously different depending on the manipulation.

spidermom
June 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I agree - no messing with your hair once you step out of the shower if you're trying to determine your hair type.

MissManda
June 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Yes, I thought that my hair was 1a stick-straight for my entire life because I combed it right after I got out of the shower. When I let my hair air dry without manipulation, I actually get little waves here and there. I was so happy when I discovered my natural hair type!

julliams
June 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Can you squeeze the water out with a towel? I can't imagine stepping straight out the the shower and dripping all over the house - also my hair would take so much longer to dry this way and it's winter here so...can I squeeze water out with a towel??

HintOfMint
June 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Can you squeeze the water out with a towel? I can't imagine stepping straight out the the shower and dripping all over the house - also my hair would take so much longer to dry this way and it's winter here so...can I squeeze water out with a towel??

I second this. I hate just letting wet hair drip all over my shoulders. *shudder*

spidermom
June 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I pressed water out between two flannel pillowcases when I did my hairtype picture.

Cholera
June 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm afraid squeezing the water out with a towel - especially a terrycloth towel - would pull out potential waves or curls. It's better to just put a towel over your shoulders with the hair draping over it to dry. I have problems not touching my hair too.. I can't stand it just hanging there and dripping. I loathe the day I decide to do a hair typing shot. :(

julliams
June 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM
And I'm assuming I have to dry it indoors? Outdoors would involve some sun and wind so I'm guessing that's out? Indoors I'll have to stay away from the gas heater - doh!!!!

Katurday
June 19th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm all for no combs and manipulating the hair, but I believe in squeezing out water and such. Why? Because even though it might take out minimal waves, you will likely NEVER dry your hair in that manner. So it doesn't matter if its your "true" hairtype, because your "common" hairtype is different. If someone tells me that gently squeezing will give you a mountain of frizz instead of luscious curls, I'd take the frizz.

And apparently frizzy is a true hairtype, because thats exactly what my hair does with zero manipulation.

julliams
June 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Well I'm sitting here two hours later and my hair is looking more like straight hair with a slight wave and I think it's because the water that was in my hair is weighing it down and making it dry straight. I'll be interested to see if it springs up in the next couple of hours.

Quixii
June 19th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hmm. I still squeezed my hair gently with a towel. I wonder how much of a difference not squeezing would have made? I dunno.
Good luck to y'all. :)

Juneii
June 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM
hmm, it made no difference to me, I left my hair to air dry and it still dried mostly straight with a few bends here and there because I had tangles that I didn't manage to smooth out before stepping out of the shower.

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm all for no combs and manipulating the hair, but I believe in squeezing out water and such. Why? Because even though it might take out minimal waves, you will likely NEVER dry your hair in that manner. So it doesn't matter if its your "true" hairtype, because your "common" hairtype is different. If someone tells me that gently squeezing will give you a mountain of frizz instead of luscious curls, I'd take the frizz.

And apparently frizzy is a true hairtype, because thats exactly what my hair does with zero manipulation.

This is my issue. If I decide to let my hair drip dry like that and I finally see my "true" hairtype, so what? It's a hairtype that I'll never have in a normal day, so what kind of realistic routine can I have to encourage my "true" hairtype? I'm pretty set on my routine: CWC, no cones, a dab of oil after the shower, comb. It's working, and I'm pretty happy with my hair.
I guess I'm a 2A. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

ETA: I guess I could comb out in the shower, but honestly, my hair tangles so easily, no matter how smooth it is coming out of the shower, the drying process itself will give me tangles. Go figure.