PDA

View Full Version : Extensions to fill terminal-goal gap?

Loepsie
June 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I am trying to grow my hair to tailbone length, but ever since it has reached waist it's growing veeeery slowly. I'm afraid I might be aproaching my terminal length, which is not good since it's quite far from my goal.
Now regardless of whether that's true or not, I was wondering: how do you feel about using hair extensions to fill in the gap between your terminal length and your goal length? Have you ever considered it? Would you use clip-ins or the more permanent type?

I would personally never take those permanent extensions, they're way too damaging and I don't find them necessary since my own hair is fine, just a bit too short. Clip-ins would be great but I'm not sure whether faking it is the best option...
So what are your thoughts on this?

Fractalsofhair
June 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Is your hair tapering? After waist, a lot of hair gets more delicate and needs more careful handling/buns on a regular basis.

Loepsie
June 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure, I'm growing out layers so it's hard to see. But I guess it is tapering a bit, I might have to be more careful

Fractalsofhair
June 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
If it's only a little bit, just be very gentle with your hair! A drastic taper and no growth at all for 1 year is the sign of terminal length. Hair often goes through phases of growing more and growing less.

Angeletti
June 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I'm not against other people doing it, but I personally wouldn't just because when people ask "is that your real hair" I can say yes and also for my own personal satisfaction that I didn't have to buy hair to make it long, but if it makes you feel better along the way in your growing journey I would say go for it

Long_hair_guy
June 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Personally I think hair extensions cheapen the feeling of having longer hair. Your hair is always growing but there are periods of slow growth.

Just keep your hair healthy and you will find your hair growing again.

spidermom
June 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM
My feeling is that you should just keep taking extra-special care of your hair and let it do its thing, whatever that works out to be. If your hair doesn't grow for one full year of good care, then revisit the idea of extensions of you want to.

Kathie
June 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Would you get clip in or permanent extensions? Because I thought the permanent type that they stick to your hair can actually be very damaging? It’s something that you'll need to weigh up in your decisions I guess. Going to an excellent stylist would of course help.

UltraBella
June 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
We do several types of extensions at my salon, but they are so damaging, I just don't understand the appeal. And the clip on ones rarely look perfect, maybe it's just me because of owning a salon, but I can spot them a mile away.
To me, if you are using extensions, it is much less of an accomplishment when, or if, you reach your goal. If the goal is to grow YOUR hair to tailbone length, how would extensions help ?
But that's easy for me to say, my hair seems impervious to damage no matter how awful I am to it and it grows like a weed. I don't know what it's like to be frustrated because it's not growing, so maybe I would feel differently if my hair situation were different.

MicheleClaire
June 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Once I read this article, I decided I would never get extensions EVER. x.x
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1036155/Why-Ill-wear-hair-extensions-pop-star-Jamelia.html

Buddaphlyy
June 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I have braid extension in right now as it is taking FOREVER to get past shoulder length so I can make a decent ponytail/bun. Hopefully I'll be there when I take them out in September. If I'm not, I'll do another set from October to January.

Since I'm growing my hair out for ME and wearing extensions because I want, what other people think about it is of little consequence to me. And if someone is bold enough to actually say something, I very politely tell them they can bit me.

Kome
June 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'd say if you're almost there, and you're having trouble getting longer, extensions are a bad idea. Clips in are uncomfortable. I had them a couple of years ago when my hair was just APL. It looked better, but it was soooooo uncomfortable. I couldn't stand it.

I'd just be genlter with your hair. Put it up more, oil the ends, and condition it more. I'm sure you can think of something you could do differently to baby it more. There is always something! Good luck hair! :D

Igor
June 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Here in Denmark they’re actually talking about banning hair extensions. Too many women have ended up half bald or severely impacted scalps because of them
I guess it’s the “less professional” stylists to blame, but the point still remains. The extensions are sewed on or glued on tightly and will tug and pull on the follicles and will damage them in the long run

I wouldn’t risk my scalp health for a quick fix

julliams
June 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't it also be very heavy? I tried one of those Jessica Simpson things in my hair and I HATED it - they couldn't get it out fast enough. It made my already thick hair look ridiculous and the weight was something I don't think I could deal with.

Demetrue
June 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Once you look for tailbone length extensions, it is harder and more expensive to find beautiful quality hair in that length, so it doesn't seem worth it to me. Also, certain extension methods, even done by professionals at a salon can cause damage high up near the root. I personally do my own extensions to sometimes make my almost-shoulder-length hair look BSL or even waist length, but it does get very hot in the summer time. If my hair were waist length, I wouldn't even bother with extensions - it wouldn't be worth the effort, money or possible damage.

30isthenewblack
June 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
A lot of judgements being made here. I would not risk permanent extensions as someone said for a quick fix as they are quite damaging and would not benefit your hair in the long run. I'm not sure about whether clip-ins damage the hair but if you feel more comfortable and better about yourself wearing them, then more power to you! Do what makes you happy and don't worry about other people's opinions. If it doesn't harm your hair, then I see no harm in it :smile:

HairColoredHair
June 19th, 2010, 07:38 PM
My hair has slowed and stopped numerous times in its growth (for as long as six months!) Did it mean I'd found terminal? Apparently not. My hair has a severe taper, but it's due to old damage, not a natural stop of growth.

Would I do extensions? No. I'd worry far too much about them damaging my existing hair. And besides... they don't make floor length extensions. :lol:

dayonea
June 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Wow it is a hard discision, I think if you are aware that there maybe damage caused to your natural hair and still think it would make you happier then go for it. Remember it is all about YOU! I am growing from shoulder to APL cuerrently but Im spending so much time and effort caring for my hair so it remains healthy and virgin at all lengths to come that as appealing as extentions are right now I remind myself of my goal and that is to have the longest healthiest hair I can grow but as I said your hair is YOUR hair so do what makes most sense to you. good luck!

Pimpernel
June 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I've always found the idea of extensions scary. All of the celebrities I see with extensions look absolutely horrid. Think Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Kate Gosselin, etc. So in my head, I rationalize that if people with millions of dollars and top stylists can't make them look natural, I'm not going to be able to do so on my budget.

lastnite
June 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I considered them a long time ago. from what I've read extensions can damage your hair. the glue and sewing at the roots pulls at your real hair. same with clip ons. If I knew they wouldn't damage my hair I may consider them for adding some thickeness to my hair, but I'm worried it'll make what hair I do have fall out.

toby
June 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I use clips on to help the growing process.. they work for me when i need that confidence boost.. :)

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Another thing to consider...

When you put in extensions they add "thickness" to your hair. As you grow to tailbone, you'll get used to that thickness. However, once you reach your goal and you decide to take the extensions out, you'll find that your hair is a lot thinner and looks different from how your hair with extensions used to be at tailbone. It might make reaching your goal a bit anticlimactic, to put it mildly.

Loepsie
June 20th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Thanks guys =)
I have to agree that achieving a goal using extensions is not the most satisfying. I'm also less scared now of being at terminal (which I'm probably not), but if I am it's ok. Waist is long enough xD
It's also true that tailbone length clip-ins would be very hard to find...

alwayssmiling
June 20th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I bought some clip in ones because I was being impatient to get to my goal. It took me so long to try and get them to look natural (ie no clips showing and no join, trying to get them even, not too much volume that they look ridiculous, but enough so they don't look ratty). I just gave up. I'm afraid I wasted quite a lot of money. I also spend a lot of time caring for my own hair, I found that having to wash and condition my clip-ins was just too much faff. Having said that I know people who absolutely love their clip-ins and wouldn't be without them.

Fractalsofhair
June 20th, 2010, 08:20 AM
It's easy to get synthetic ones as long as you want. They don't look as "real" especially when straight, IMO, but you might be able to get wavy ones. However, I do agree with the other posters about them being damaging, but if your terminal length is shorter than you want, I suppose it wouldn't be such a big deal. xD

dropinthebucket
June 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Pause for thought.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/health/newsid_10050000/newsid_10056800/10056867.stm