View Full Version : Is it ok to leave oil on scalp overnight?

hemolymph
June 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I am oiling the parts of my hair that are damaged and thought I might just oil my whole head with coconut oil for the night.
But I am wondering if I should put it near my roots or not? My only thought is that the oil might clog the pores and stop growth?

Thanks!

christine1989
June 19th, 2010, 01:27 AM
It should be fine. I have done it with thicker oil than coconut and it worked really well. One night is not nearly enough time to clog pores besides, they will absorb quite a lot of the oil especially if your hair and scalp are very dry.

ibleedlipstick
June 19th, 2010, 01:30 AM
It should be okay- especially if it is only one night. I do it twice a week on my hair, and I feel like if anything, my growth has accelerated since I started doing so.

Kathie
June 19th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I find it depends on the person- to much oil or conditioner on my roots is irritating i.e., it actually hurts a little. But that’s just me.

Sunny_side_up
June 19th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I guess everyones different, but the other week i did a scalp massage with olive oil and then covered the lengths, put on a shower cap and left it for over an hour.
It really weighted down my hair! I don't have thick hair. After the 2nd wash it looked ok, then left a couple days and on the third wash had lovely shine and the lengths looked smooth. Don't think i'll do that again though. Way too much for me. I love coconut oil, used to put a little too much in also. Now its just a thumb dab on my damp hair. I have to go easy on oiling:D