PDA

View Full Version : Greasy fringe

hybrise
June 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Okay, I love my fringe, I do. But it's causing a problem for me.

When I was doing regular S&C I had to wash my hair every day because it was dry and would turn into an irretrievable rat's nest when I woke up. Now that I'm doing CWC it behaves perfectly, much to my delight, so I only have to wash every other day.

My problem is that while the rest of my hair is fine after a quick brush, my fringe looks greasy and curls up into little springs. I've tried suggestions of corn starch, baking powder, talcum powder etc to massage in and brush out, but my hair is dark and the powder shows up obviously, and makes my fringe look dull and unhappy.

Anybody with fringe now or in the past have any suggestions for how to fix this?

Lunami
June 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I have the same problem. When my bangs need to be washed, it's at least one day before the rest of my hair needs it. It worries me as my hair grows longer and i may want to stretch washes even more than i like to do it now.

breezefaerie
June 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I wash just my bangs. A little diluted shampoo and I'm set to go!

teela1978
June 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
You could try cocoa powder as well to soak up grease if you like that way of doing things. Not sure if it would stain your forehead or not though.

moominhapa
June 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I usually just wash my bangs over the sink. If I don't want to for some reason, I use corn starch. The trick to getting it out of your hair is 1) not to use too much in the first place and 2) to use a towel to get it out, not just a brush. A microfiber towel does an especially good job.

Aliped
June 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm another one that washes her bangs in the sink (daily). I also blow dry my bangs, because they like to curl and flip in strange directions, and need to be tamed in some way. They get trimmed regularly though, so no visible damage!

Arctic_Mama
June 18th, 2010, 03:24 PM
My fringe gets greasy due to facial lotion, I just bend over the sink and give it a quick wash with diluted shampoo. Simple :shrug:

hybrise
June 18th, 2010, 03:28 PM
So this is where I shamefacedly admit that washing my bangs over the sink instead of in the shower and wetting my whole head... never occurred to me.

2) to use a towel to get it out, not just a brush. A microfiber towel does an especially good job.

I will have to try this as well, I was getting so frustrated with it not brushing out!

ravenreed
June 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I either do a quick wash with bar shampoo over the sink, or I spray in a dry shampoo. The dry shampoos brush out nicely with a BBB. I use my bar shampoo because it has no SLS and rinses out easily.

error
June 18th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I have ultra grease ball hair , its gross ,and i had a fringe for a few months a while back. Same exact problem no matter what that grease ball fringe! So instead of massaging the corn starch in I would take my enormous fluffy blush brush put the corn starch all over it and brush it all over the roots of all my hair , let it sit and then brush it out with my boar bristle brush then tousle it a bit . All of my hair would have the same texture and the powder would give it a lot of body , massaging it in makes it look funky especially since my hair is black and yours is dark! Try it that way !

ukuleleclaire
June 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM
You could try cocoa powder as well to soak up grease if you like that way of doing things. Not sure if it would stain your forehead or not though.

I second this suggestion. I have brown hair, and when my bangs/fringe look greasy I just sprinkle in a tiny amount of cocoa powder near the roots, then comb it through. Works great for me!

Drynwhyl
June 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I shower every day, whereas I wash my hair every 3-4 days. In the meantime, I wash my fringe while in the shower, every other day or so.

trillcat
June 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I wash my fringe every morning when I wash my face, and blow dry it, (the hair, not my face, lol) otherwise it just looks greasy and weird. It grows faster than the rest of my hair so with the constant trimming, it does not get dmaged.

AmandaPanda
June 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I wash my fringe every morning when I wash my face, and blow dry it, (the hair, not my face, lol) otherwise it just looks greasy and weird. It grows faster than the rest of my hair so with the constant trimming, it does not get dmaged.

THIS.

Also, I use mousse and hairspray and it seems to help repel the greasies

McFearless
June 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Keep your hands off your bangs! Give them a flip if they're in your eyes..sort of a head toss.. but dont touch them. My bangs get really greasy too. Usually I just wet them in the sink and shampoo the roots a bit. It helps.

BrightEyes
June 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
My bangs get pretty greasy the day before I wash, so I wash them at my sink with a little shampoo. Sometimes I'll try using powder on them, but it seems to only last for a couple hours for me.

I second the suggestion to try to not touch your bangs. I have a habit of brushing them to the side, and it always seems to make them greasier.

georgia_peach
June 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Good posts here. In the last month or two I've noticed the same problem but haven't tried any solutions other than washing all my hair more frequently:(. Now I have some great alternatives to try:D! Thanks!

Culdayne
June 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Ugh, same problem here.

Great suggestions - You could also use a dry shampoo like Batiste: I have had good success with it. I think Tresemme has something new out too...but if I am not sure what the ingredients are and haven't tried it.

Lunami
June 19th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Using something like cocoa powder, how long will it last? When i really want to make sure that my bangs look great i use hair spray and it also makes it last one more day or so. If i don't have time to wash my hair i can use spray to dry the grease out. I also keep my bangs off my face when i'm at home and at night. When i wash my face i use a head band that makes them "stand" up away from the face and i'll brush them right before going out.

ukuleleclaire
June 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Using something like cocoa powder, how long will it last? When i really want to make sure that my bangs look great i use hair spray and it also makes it last one more day or so. If i don't have time to wash my hair i can use spray to dry the grease out. I also keep my bangs off my face when i'm at home and at night. When i wash my face i use a head band that makes them "stand" up away from the face and i'll brush them right before going out.

Generally it will last the whole day for me, as long as I'm not doing something really strenuous/major physical activity. I have dry skin though, so if you are more on the oily side it may not last nearly as long.