PDA

View Full Version : Amazing hair sighting - perhaps deserving of its own thread...

chargersfan
June 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM
At my kids' daycare I kept getting glimpses of this little girl with incredible braids, but only catching glimpses so I couldn't see how long it was or anything. I knew she was in the Kindergarten class. Well, yesterday was her Kinder graduation day, and I saw her mom taking photos of her. She had her hair down, and I saw how long and beautiful it was. She was graduating Kinder, which here is 5 or 6 years old, and I have never seen a 5 or 6 year old with hair as long as hers - it was knee length, not an inch less (and thick & blunt trimmed at the ends!). :thud: Am I the only one who has never seen that length of hair on a Kindergartener? Maybe it is more common and I have just never seen it. It truly amazed me. One of the teachers at the center told me that she came into the center w/ her hair perfectly done every day as well and that it was in 'perfect' condition.

Anyway, I have a new goal for my own daughter's hair now. :p If she wants it, of course.

slythwolf
June 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I've never seen that. I think probably a lot of people cut their toddlers' and small children's hair--well, not exactly short, necessarily, mine was what would have been BSL if 5-year-olds wore bras--simply because of all the stuff kids get into and all the extra work it would be. But that is really amazing.

little_cherry
June 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wow! That's amazing! :) I had near tail bone length when I was around 4 years old...so not entirely impossible, just, well, rare!

CrowningGlory
June 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I think it's rare because children are growing in height quickly in their early years and body lines (as far as hair length goes) keep moving downwards. My almost 4-year-old granddaughter has never had her hair cut at all and yet her hair seems to have been roughly at the same length for well over a year now. I attribute it to the fact that she's gotten taller so it just looks the same length.

I think it's great that the child's mother has been willing to put in the time and effort to keep the girl's hair healthy and well cared for. I know how some children that age hate having their hair combed or put in braids (I work with under 5s and I know how often they pull their pony tails out) so it shows a lot of patience and hard work on the mother's part.

I wish I'd seen it. The closest I've come to seeing anything similar is of a pre-teen girl with thick blonde braids with no taper that fell down past tailbone. She was playing hockey and I have no idea if she could even hit the ball - her hair was all I noticed!

chargersfan
June 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I think it's rare because children are growing in height quickly in their early years and body lines (as far as hair length goes) keep moving downwards. My almost 4-year-old granddaughter has never had her hair cut at all and yet her hair seems to have been roughly at the same length for well over a year now. I attribute it to the fact that she's gotten taller so it just looks the same length.

I think it's great that the child's mother has been willing to put in the time and effort to keep the girl's hair healthy and well cared for. I know how some children that age hate having their hair combed or put in braids (I work with under 5s and I know how often they pull their pony tails out) so it shows a lot of patience and hard work on the mother's part.

I wish I'd seen it. The closest I've come to seeing anything similar is of a pre-teen girl with thick blonde braids with no taper that fell down past tailbone. She was playing hockey and I have no idea if she could even hit the ball - her hair was all I noticed!

Yeah, that's true. My 3-year old has almost waist-length hair, and sometimes during a growth spurt it seems like her hair isn't growing at all. And, she hates having her hair brushed and messed with, so I do keep it trimmed (but thankfully she doesn't want short hair). Plus, no matter how I style her hair in the morning it's a wreck by nighttime, she's quite the rough-and-tumble type of girl.

TiaKitty
June 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Wow! That's really, really long. I thought my 6yo had long hair!!! Hers is very, very curly, and when I wash it and pull a curl down, it comes to her waist... Before wetting, it just grazes her shoulders.

It's such a fight, too. I can't imagine how much we'd wrangle if it was knee-length!!! As it is there's plenty of kicking, screaming, and crying involved in fixing her hair. She's rocking lots of little tiny braids right now, which is perfect for summer, and I don't have to "do" her up every night!

fairystar32
June 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
wow amazing
MY DD only has trims since she was born and her hair has never been longer than waist really.
she is just edging up to hip at 13

JenniferNoel
June 18th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Pretty amazing. Where I was living for a while, I saw multiple times the same exact phenomenon, both girls about that age, one with ankle length and the other knee, both with trimmed ends. So beautiful and doll-like. :D

Loreley
June 19th, 2010, 01:57 AM
That's amazing! :D
When my younger sister was 6, she had beautiful wavy, blond thigh-length hair. She had it cut at the age of 7. :(

GuinevereMay
June 19th, 2010, 02:04 AM
My daughter has classic length hair. She turned five in May. About six months ago, I cut about 5-6 inches off. I think it would be knee now if I hadn't cut it. People are always commenting on how long her hair is.

Newniepg
June 19th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Knee length! That is amazing! I don't think I have ever seen anything anywhere near that on a girl that age.

How unusually lovely. :)

SerenityBlue
June 19th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Wow, that is long, but I definitely can see it happening. My daughter just graduated pre-k and her's is down to her butt. She starts kindergarten in August and by kindergarten graduation if we do not get it cut, I can definitely see it being down to her knees- or at least close to her knees.

For pre-k I put it up in either a pony tail, pig tails, two braids, a single braid or a french braid, but that sometimes comes out before she gets home. For kindergarten I intend to stick only with braids for less swing. I am worried about her hair brushing up against someone elses. They had a lice break out a few years ago when my sister's kids went to the school she will be going to and I am terrified that her hair would be too swingy in just a pony tail or pigtails.

IcarusBride
June 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I saw an adorable little Spanish girl, around 4-5 years old, with soft loose shiny black curls to classic length. I felt like a wicked creep trying not to stare!

Medievalmaniac
June 19th, 2010, 11:12 AM
For pre-k I put it up in either a pony tail, pig tails, two braids, a single braid or a french braid, but that sometimes comes out before she gets home. For kindergarten I intend to stick only with braids for less swing. I am worried about her hair brushing up against someone elses. They had a lice break out a few years ago when my sister's kids went to the school she will be going to and I am terrified that her hair would be too swingy in just a pony tail or pigtails.

My daughter has bcl hair, on her way to classic, and she just turned 6. In kindergarten, she wore her hair in beebut and cinnamon buns regularly. She would have worn a bun every day, if I let her! She has been wearing buns for a few years now, because she takes dance. I thought you might consider bunning your daughter's hair for school, too - especially considering the daily wear and tear of PE and such, plus lice outbreaks. :shudder:

FrannyG
June 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I've never seen a child with hair that long! I do know that my own daughter, even if her hair were never trimmed, would not have had hair that long by that age.

This little girl must have had a combination of really strong hair and fast growth. And of course parents with the patience to care for it. Incredible!

SerenityBlue
June 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM
My daughter has bcl hair, on her way to classic, and she just turned 6. In kindergarten, she wore her hair in beebut and cinnamon buns regularly. She would have worn a bun every day, if I let her! She has been wearing buns for a few years now, because she takes dance. I thought you might consider bunning your daughter's hair for school, too - especially considering the daily wear and tear of PE and such, plus lice outbreaks. :shudder:

Thank you for the advice! My daughter did start ballet about 10 months ago. I have had to do a few buns for performances, but need way more practice. My own hair is only shoulder length at the moment. I just got some of those new spiral bobby pins and will be trying those. I usually put her hair in a ponytail, braid it and then loop the braid flat on her head and insert the bobby pins. I usually need about 6 pins to keep it from coming out while she is on stage. I am hoping the twisty ones work better. I would love to bun it for school and have it stay in all day, at least until I know how safe it is to have it down. She told me she doesn't want it cut and as long as it is healthy, I will let her grow it out. :)

Gnomentum
June 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Wow, my 3yo DD has what would be BSL hair, thick and gorgeous, and I'm always getting comments on how long and beautiful it is; it's quite unusual. To think of what some of you including the OP are describing is quite amazing!

My DD has a fringe (bangs) which I'm not entirely happy with.. it suits her, but it is far too thick and takes from hair far too far back on her head. I'm trying to work out how to grow out only the back half.. maybe I should just grow it ALL out a way and then re-trim when it will stay back. But she has quite a big forehead so I'm not keen to do it that way..

MissMB
June 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
In Kindergarten my best friend's hair was probably tailbone to classic length. It was dark and curly, really pretty!

chargersfan
June 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I've never seen a child with hair that long! I do know that my own daughter, even if her hair were never trimmed, would not have had hair that long by that age.

This little girl must have had a combination of really strong hair and fast growth. And of course parents with the patience to care for it. Incredible!

Yes, definitely her genes + her parents and her own patience all play a role. I have a friend who is jealous of my old 3 yo's waist-length hair - her own 5 yo DD's hair still hasn't grown out to her shoulders yet (she was bald for a looong time). Everybody's hair is so different, especially at a young age. I just saw that young girl's hair and almost fell over b/c I had never seen anything like it.

Sarahmoon
June 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I've seen some girls from India with knee length hair, they were around 5 or 6 years old. I think they never had a hair cut. Keep in mind young kids are small, so what looks knee length on them could just be mid back or whatever on you. Imagine how long your hair would be if you wouldn't cut it for 6 years ;)

iShampoo
June 29th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Well, maybe not quite as amazing, but there's a girl I go to church with who has hair down to her butt. She's 11 now and decided she wanted to grow her hair out when she was 4 or 5. It's blonde, pin straight and kinda thin. She's also short for her age though. :p

Oooh, and on another note, my boyfriend's cousin has perfect straight black hair. It's so perfect that the army approached her parents offering to buy some of her hair to use in gun scopes (as cross-hairs.)