PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Driving

rosek
June 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I love to wear my hair in buns. But I have alot of trouble finding a comfortable position while driving. The bun is so big (even when I do a flat cinnabun) that it pushes my head forward too much, its very uncomfortable. I've tried tilting the seat back a little, but it puts the rest of my back in discomfort.

Does anyone have tips for hairstyles while driving? Whenever I wear braids its fine, but I really prefer buns. At the moment I'm just taking them down to drive, and then I have to re-do them when I get to my destination.

Any ideas?

CrisDee
June 18th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I'll be interested to see responses to this, I had the same problem when my hair was long (and will again within the next couple years). I usually wore my hair in a fairly simple updo when it was up, so my "solution" was to just "pull the pin" and let it down when I was driving, then when I arrived at my destination I'd put it back up. Mid-height ponytails were just as annoying, and I don't look good in a low pony. I suppose topknot buns would work...

Yeesha
June 18th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Maybe a crown braid?
Or a braided bun - it's easier to take down before driving and easy to get up again after driving, because you just have to deal with one braid instead of all the hair being everywhere. :)

Siava
June 18th, 2010, 05:55 AM
That's a good idea, Yeesha.

NorthernDancer
June 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I like the idea of a braided bun. I'll have to remember that the next time I have a long drive!

LeaM07
June 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I'd recommend you wear your hair in a bun the next time you go car shopping. :)

I can wear my hair in buns quite comfortably in my car, but not in DH's, no matter how I adjust the seat.

Cheeks1206
June 18th, 2010, 11:03 AM
If you're truly dedicated to the style and don't want to take it out, you could always remove the head rest.

Anje
June 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
If you're truly dedicated to the style and don't want to take it out, you could always remove the head rest.
Unfortunately, the headrest is a safety feature for preventing whiplash. Otherwise, the bun-eating headrest in my Civic would be GONE!

For short trips, I just lean the seat back a little further. For long drives I wear my hair in a braid or two over the shoulder.

LawyerGirl
June 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Maybe lean the seat back and use a small cushion for your lower back? Is that safe?

Heavenly Locks
June 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe you could try one of the buns that sits very close to the top of your head?

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu41/bijouliving/buns.jpg

UltraBella
June 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
When I drive my bun is on top of my head, instead of the back of my head. It's the only thing that I find comfortable.

Cheeks1206
June 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately, the headrest is a safety feature for preventing whiplash. Otherwise, the bun-eating headrest in my Civic would be GONE!

For short trips, I just lean the seat back a little further. For long drives I wear my hair in a braid or two over the shoulder.

Oh, I didn't even think of that! Thank you for bringing that up.

taliarose
June 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM
My day to day bun is the lazy wrap. I've got it centered at the crown. It's just high enough that it no longer gets in the way of the head rest. Plus side is it doesn't look bad all day this way either...

Sunsailing
June 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I could see how that would be a problem (I don't wear buns.)

When we were test driving vehicles last summer for my wife, I had an issue with the headrest in the Honda CRV. It just seems to protrude forward and hit the base of my ponytail (I wear a ponytail most of the time when I'm out and about). The other vehicles we drove did not have the same issue. (We did not get the CRV.)

A few years back, Volvo did a concept car designed for women by a team of female engineers. It had many unique design features. One that I remember was the design of the headrests. The headrests were designed so a ponytail could easily be hung through to the backside, to allow the head to comfortably be against it.

StellaReade
June 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I always pull my hair up on top of my head. My problem is that I have no air conditioning, so in the summer, wispies go blowing around my head.

Anje
June 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm curious, given my own experience (2008 Civic) and Sunsailing's reply (CRV)... Do recent Hondas generally have headrests that protrude particularly far at the back of the head?

I keep looking for replacement headrests that don't stick out so much, but haven't found any that don't have screens in them.

Lielananna
June 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have this problem as well in my Saturn Ion - the headrest leans forward enough that if I have my hair in any style that is in the middle of the back of my head it makes it really uncomfortable to drive.

I usually just wear my hair down or in a braid if I know I'm going to be driving a long way or if I really don't want to wear it like that, I'll try and make the bun sit as close to the crown of my head as possible so it will end up right above the headrest. I'll also put back the seat if I didn't remember to do any of those options, but its not my favorite option since its not as comfortable.

The only problem I have with my high buns is that the roof of my car is low enough that I'm constantly hitting my bun on the roof whenever I'm off the seat even just an inch or two, but if you don't have a low ceiling that shouldn't be as much of a problem :).

CherrySilver
June 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM
When I drive my bun is on top of my head, instead of the back of my head. It's the only thing that I find comfortable.

Ditto! It's the only way I can wear my hair while driving, too, as my bun is quite large. I just wrap it around and anchor it simply with a chopstick. Easy to put in, easy out. Can't be bothered putting it in a braid first....

Gnomentum
June 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I do a braided bun or two braids. If it's a braided bun I don't use an elastic (to save wear on my ends) - just tuck in and secure with pins or a stick. It's flat enough that it's not uncomfortable to lean against the head restraint.

Oh, and on that note? I echo what others have said, it is a restraint, a safety feature, NOT a comfort device. Please don't anyone remove their head restraints just to wear their hair a particular way, style is not more important that safety!

Crackaleen
June 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I could see how that would be a problem (I don't wear buns.)
A few years back, Volvo did a concept car designed for women by a team of female engineers. It had many unique design features. One that I remember was the design of the headrests. The headrests were designed so a ponytail could easily be hung through to the backside, to allow the head to comfortably be against it.

I could see that being a disaster if you have mischievous little kids sitting behind you. ^.^

I'm curious, given my own experience (2008 Civic) and Sunsailing's reply (CRV)... Do recent Hondas generally have headrests that protrude particularly far at the back of the head?

I keep looking for replacement headrests that don't stick out so much, but haven't found any that don't have screens in them.

Just wanted to add that we're a Honda family and I have this problem in all of our cars (my '05 TSX, my husbands '05 Accord, and my mother's '08 Civic). I either just adjust the seat back a little or place my bun in a different spot, otherwise it forces me into a hunched position that makes my back hurt.

StormiDoodle
June 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I do two buns on the top of my head if it's going to be a long car trip. Short car trips, I just have bad posture!

I have had a problem with darling's Honda Civics headrest pushing way further then the head rest of my Saturn. I have to lean the chair further back then what is probably safe. I've also considered getting a lumber-support pillow to see if that takes me far enough away from the headrest.

blackhound
June 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Oh, man. I have the same sort of problem.

*reads thread with interest*

frodolaughs
June 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Oh geez. The bun problem. When I'm driving a short distance I just drive with bad posture. For long drives I do twin dutch braids and pin them like a crown braid. I've never met a headrest I could combine with a bun, I think because I'm too short to get things adjusted properly under the best of circumstances. When I get a new car (years and years from now) I'll try putting my hair in a bun for test drives, but since lots of cars are already ruled out by my (lack of) height I don't think I can really add in too many additional requirements.

atlantaz3
June 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I remember that Volvo and wished it would have gotten further than concept!

A few years back, Volvo did a concept car designed for women by a team of female engineers. It had many unique design features. One that I remember was the design of the headrests. The headrests were designed so a ponytail could easily be hung through to the backside, to allow the head to comfortably be against it.[/QUOTE]

rosek
June 20th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Wow, there are some really great ideas here! I think its just my bun wearing style. I have it projecting directly out the back of my head. I don't like wearing them closer to the crown, it pulls my hair at the front too much. Thats probably why I find it so uncomfortable.
Fortunately, my headrest is not removable.
And unfortunately, I can't see myself going car shopping anytime soon! I'll be graduating from my first college degree this year... to go straight into another. So as a poor student, I don't get alot of choice about what I drive.

I guess I'll just stick with taking it down and putting it back up again when I get there (except on the rare day that I braid!) Everyones suggestions were really interesting, I just don't think any of them will work for me.

RedHed
June 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
In some cars, you can turn the headrest around so that it "leans" away from you.

Not IDEAL, but offers some protection in case of a crash.

Headrests bother the "heck" out of me whether my hair is up or down. I also like to use lumbar supports because car seats are not good for posture IMHO.

mellie89
June 27th, 2010, 08:13 PM

My mom drives a 2008 Civic that I absolutely cannot stand driving for several reasons, one being the headrest. It's really uncomfortable.

I like my Jeep's headrest much better. :o

When I drive, I keep it in one or two low braids brought around front. That's the only style I can stand driving with.

bubblyredhead
June 28th, 2010, 01:29 AM
My 2008 Scion TC is by far the most comfortable with the headrest i can tilt it back or forward that allows for my hair to be up and in a big claw clip and not put pressure on my head. My dad's '06 F-150 also has a ton of hair room .

Angela_Rose
June 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Depends on my bun's placement. I drive a Saturn VUE and I'm fairly tall, so my seat is allllll the way back plus I have the upright bit tilted back a little. If my bun is right smack in the middle of my head, I can't drive comfortably. If the bun's a little higher or a bit lower, I'm good. Often, though, I just let it down and put it in a loose braid over one shoulder before I've even left my office's parking lot.

Capybara
June 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I usually just drive with my hair down, or in braids. It's more comfortable to have the hair down than pushing against the back of my head :shrug:

Pixna
June 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I have this problem both with driving and when I'm a passenger. I prefer flatter buns, but even then, when the brakes are applied too quickly, my head goes "boing" off the headrest. Perhaps a flatter bun style spread evenly over a wider portion of the back of your head would work?

Themyst
June 28th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I have a difficult time wearing my hair in a bun even in my Chevrolet Silverado trruck. I already wear my hair high on the crown and it still mashes against the headrest somehow and puts my neck in a horribly comfortable position. I can't imagine that would be good in the case of an accident.

Sunsailing
June 28th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I echo what others have said, it is a restraint, a safety feature, NOT a comfort device. Please don't anyone remove their head restraints just to wear their hair a particular way, style is not more important that safety!

I totally agree.
It is a restraint and an important part of the safety system for the vehicle.

That being said, I think that Honda could design their's differently and still be safe. The new Toyota we ended up getting (RAV4) has very comfortable head restraints. They thrust forward in the event of a crash, to even better protect the head and neck from injury.
If Honda's head restraints thrust forward in crashes, I would think that since they are already positioned so far forward... it would push the chin into the chest and cause (instead of prevent) neck injury!

Our "old" vehicle is a first generation CRV. The head restraints are fine on it.

Come to think of it, I had my hair in a bun on our 3 hour drive home from camping this weeked (had to take down camp in the rain, so I just put my hair in a bun...which I don't do often). It was was very comfortable driving the Toyota home.

tinti
June 28th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I have the same problem (though I'm not driving I'm often a passenger). Sometimes I just let it be loose, since my hair isn't that long, or I just leave it in a sloppy bun on the top of my head. Or braids :)

AllwaysLovely
June 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM
My car has a hole in the hadrest, they are recaro seats, and if I plan it right my bun/tail hangs right through it. However, I still find it easier to just wear my hair off to the side.

http://image.automotive.com/f/reviews/justdriven/6675622/0308_5+2003_To_2005_Honda_Civic_Si+Interior_View_S eats.jpg