PDA

View Full Version : what popular styles have you had? (yahoo news)

countryhopper
June 18th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I was just reading on Yahoo news (sorry, I'm not great at linking!), and they were talking about the most famous/popular styles over the years. These are the ones I've had that were mentioned on there:

* the "Rachel"

* Meg Ryan's "shag" (at least I 'm about 80% sure I did. I remember when it was "in" I really liked it!)

* Victoria Beckham's A-line bob (this is what I'm currently growing out! I just recently trimmed off the front "points" that were longer than the rest)

Other styles they listed were:
*Farrah Faucet's famous feathered flips
*Michelle Obama's cut
*Dannii Minogue's sleek bob
*Princess Diana's royal 'do
*Marylin Monroe's blonde curls
*Mia Farrow's pixie crop
*Blake Lively's layered locks

Ha! I had 3 out of the 10 mentioned! Not that that's really anything to be proud of :rolleyes:!

It's amazing to see how many people still get these styles done! Have any of you ever had them? Which ones? Do you have any you think should be added to the list?

emma907
June 18th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I have never really been one to get a style based on what's 'in'... I'm very anti-fashion, I go with what I like, and what I think looks good on me... not that I judge others for going with fashion... so I have never had any of those styles...

Any way I saw this lady last night with a 1970's mullet! - one of THE WORST styles I think that was ever 'in' it made me cringe! it looked terrible! some people could pull it off, but why go for something cause it was fashionable, even if you look like a pillock? *mini rant over* :)

christine1989
June 18th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I have admired them all from afar but with wavy hair I would need heat to achieve most of those looks :(. I just stick with inch straight across the bottom when I get my hair cut.

countryhopper
June 18th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I have never really been one to get a style based on what's 'in'... I'm very anti-fashion, I go with what I like, and what I think looks good on me... not that I judge others for going with fashion... so I have never had any of those styles...

I don't think I ever did it because it was "in", but I'm one of those people who doesn't know what she like until she sees it :). So when those styles rolled around, I was llike, "Oh! She has straight hair like me! that's such a cute style!" And then I'd get it cut...

Pumpkin
June 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Oh I did what was 'in'... Let's see...for a short time I had 'the Rachael'. Then the Victoria 'bob', and the Mia 'pixie'. Thank heavens, I have come to my senses and decided what I want...my long hair back!!! :) Decided just to be myself, long hair and all, and not try to keep up with what is 'in' fashion.

Tiina
June 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I had the pixie only because I accidentally set my hair on fire. Before that it was the Beckham bob but that was actually before she had it. :p

halo_tightens
June 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM
My favorite haircut of all time (on me) is a slightly more edgy verson of the popular angled bob thing. I had a very extreme angle, with the front below chin and the back basically shaved at the nape, and angled up dramatically. The back of my hair did the whole "bumpit" thing naturally when cut that way. It just had a very striking shape, overall.

I actually enjoyed it a lot, and I think it looked good on me. I know for a fact that if I ever decide to go back to short hair instead of growing long, that will be the cut for me. Maybe by then, if it ever happens, I won't share the same hairstyle with half the women in my town. :p

I don't see it happening any time soon, though. I like to think that my hair will never be shorter than it is at this moment, and will only continue to grow and grow throughout my life. I've learned, though, to never say never!

Stephichan
June 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I had the angled bob before I realized that Vic Beckham and half of the world had it too (I don't pay much attention to celebrities). The angle on mine was a bit more subtle, but I loved it and so did my bf. I have a picture of it in one of my albums. I didn't have any of those other cuts listed.

LawyerGirl
June 18th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I think I've had some of those styles accidentally... not because of a celebrity but just because that's what I ended up with at the time.

In2wishin
June 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM
The only one of those I had was the Mia pixie. I tried to get one other that was not mentioned: the Peggy Lipton (Julie on Mod Squad) long, straight, parted in the middle.

jasper
June 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM
In the late 70's I had a Dorothy Hamill Wedge, but I think when I got it, I was already behind the times. I know I wasn't trying to emulate the skater. I think I got that cut because A) my mom was tired of my attempt to grow out bangs and B) the stylist in my small town knew how to do that cut.

spidermom
June 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Of those, I had the pixie several times (so easy!) and the Farrah Fawcett layered shag (which worked great with my hair type). The Dorothy Hamil wedge should have been mentioned; I had that (but a longer version of it) along with about 1000 other people in my town.

*Aoife*
June 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
None, thankfully! I was too young for most of these hairstyles. Then I had this awsome layered Japanese style cut.

MsBubbles
June 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Well let's see, I had:

The Farrah
The Lady Di
The Purdy (for all you UKers)
and some poofy 80's perm that could be named after any glam rock band member.

Long_hair_guy
June 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM
When I was growing it out I had a Beatles like bowl like thing (it was longer at he back). I had a few alice bands to keep my hair back

rags
June 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I had the Farrah Fawcett shag (with the feathered bangs you had to use a curling iron and massive hairspray to keep in place!) and the Dorothy Hamell wedge (dating myself there!). Both times were because I wanted something new and didn't know what to do with my hair, and that's what the stylist in my teeny little town knew how to cut!

I also had the 80's poodle perm with the mall bangs. Don't think that one has a celebrity, though.

Backliteyes
June 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I've had a bob, only very slightly inverted if at all. If I ever decide to go short again I'll probably go for a more inverted bob. I'm fortunate to have an oval face with decently high cheekbones that looks fine with any length of hair...well, I don't know about pixie. :D

jennylouwhoo
June 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
beckham bob blehhh

Chamomile betty
June 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I don't really know what the style was called but in 1989 I would spray back my sides using a comb and a dryer. It would give me this 'wing' like look oh, and I had huge bangs. Just your run of the mill late 80s hair I guess lol.

Kristin
June 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I had a bob, too, but it was more of the "Nicole Richie bob" (longer with long, sideswept bangs). It was too much work; without all the weight of long hair, my waves and cowlicks completely misbehaved, forcing me to blowdry and straighten all the time.

I also had a horrible poodle perm in 4th-5th grade with ridiculous permed bangs. No celebrity, just a stupid trend.

ravenreed
June 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I haven't had fashionable hair since feathered bangs in the 80's. *shrug*

Kome
June 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
My hair tends to be very wavy and poofy, so I don't think I've ever had any of those. Some of them are very cute though, but I DO prefer long hair best. :)

RoseRedDead
June 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I've never had a fashionable cut! So none of the above.

DakarNick
June 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
My favorite haircut of all time (on me) is a slightly more edgy verson of the popular angled bob thing. I had a very extreme angle, with the front below chin and the back basically shaved at the nape, and angled up dramatically. The back of my hair did the whole "bumpit" thing naturally when cut that way. It just had a very striking shape, overall.

My favorite, too! My fiance had that cut before I met her, only chin length and about a 1/2" long at the back. I hope she gets it again if she ever goes short.

DakarNick
June 18th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I had the angled bob before. I have a picture of it in one of my albums.

I looked but didn't see it!

JenniferNoel
June 18th, 2010, 09:14 PM
The Farrah.
I did not pull that one off, bummer too, because it was such a bouncy, fun haircut on everyone else.
I rocked the Monroe for about a year, and that was definitely more of a success. I'd do that again, but I need my long hair. Yes, need. I need it. I need my... okay, I've made my point.

rusika1
June 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM
The Mia Farrow pixie. (Unless it was the Davy Jones of the Monkees cut.) Back in the 1960's, when I was in elementary school. My mom used to take me to the beauty college for my haircuts, so they probably chose the style.

I've had versions of the pixie a few times as an adult--just slightly longer on the crown.

Never had any other popular cuts.

HintOfMint
June 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Wow, I have had the Rachel, Meg Ryan's shag, and Posh Spice's a-line bob. The shag was multiple times in my life.

Funny enough, in 5th grade, I cut my hair to grazing shoulder length because I loved Posh Spice, and that was her haircut at the time.

Also, Blake Lively is one of my favorite celebrity heads of hair. I loved it in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I'm still kind of aiming for it, actually. Well... it wouldn't be a bad stepping stone as I maintain at hip while cutting out the layers

Mexibeach
June 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I had the Rachel back in the day! LOL

Caldonia Sun
June 19th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I've had a few of them. VB's bob is a retread of the mod styles from the late 60's - I had one then. Tried the Farah-disaster; the Rachel-disaster. Mia's pixie was good, Dorothy's wedge was good, too. My hair is too fine and straight for any curly, wavy or heavily layered styles. I d d have an 80's perm that I liked for a month, then would have to cut because of the damage.

Cholera
June 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I've had a pixie (against my will), the long-sides short-back type chin-length bob, and the super layered scene style hair. It was quite a bit too short to be real scene hair, but it had the mushroom shape to it..

SerenityBlue
June 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Out of the styles listed, I've had the Mia Farrow pixie cut, the Rachel cut and the Beckham bob and in the seventies I had the Farrah. :)

atlantaz3
June 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Do I really have to 'fess up that I had a Farrah? Actually I thought it looked nice but way to much maintenance. PS My mom and her stylist had to talk me into it. I was 16 at the time...

BunnyBee
June 20th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I have only had "the Rachel" when I was about... 12 or something. I wanted my hair short, but my mum wouldn't let me.. so this was her "compromise" <_<

Since I never really blow dried my hair it never looked like Rachel's anyway :rolleyes:

Sarahmoon
June 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I think I can be proud to say I didn't have any of these! :D

Carolyn
June 21st, 2010, 05:11 AM
I've had "Farrah" hair. Did it quite well too! Then I grew the layers out a bit to Jacklyn Smith's 'do. I sent away for exact cutting instructions for that one. I wore my hair like that for quite a while. In 1998 I got real stupid and got a Rachel cut. It was badly done and was a nightmare. Now I'm so over getting a "style".