PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and breastfeeding affecting hair growth?

Flossy
June 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I have had 3 children, all in reasonably quick succession. There's only been 6 weeks in the past 5+ years where I haven't been pregnant or breastfeeding.

Do you think this might be affecting my growth rate? It feels like my hair has been the same length forever. I can understand that it might, your body throws all it's efforts into making and sustaining these little people, rather than producing a Rapunzel-like mane!

I'm hoping that no trims until 2011 will make it seem like it is growing...

UltraBella
June 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, I think it can most definitely affect it. You have been busy !!

May
June 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Actually, I just had my first baby and my hair grew faster while I was pregnant and at a relatively normal rate afterwards. I also did not experience any "post partum" shedding.

That being said, a friend of mine who didn't experience "post partum shedding" after her first pregnany experienced it after her second pregnancy. I suppose this suggests that things like hormones can impact and influence hair growth differently among the same woman and between different women.

Our bodies are amazingly complex...

OperaTeacherMom
June 17th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I did have crazy fast growth while pregnant (or at least it seemed that way), quite a bit of shedding from 3-6 months, and now at 9 months post partum (still breastfeeding quite a bit) my hair seems to be growing pretty normally. Are you eating enough protein and taking your prenatal vitamins?

Arctic_Mama
June 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I've been pregnant or breastfeeding pretty much the last three years, with only a short break in 2009. This is baby #3 and I honestly have never noticed fast growth when pregnant or significant stalls when breastfeeding. It seems like I shed less during pregnancy except this time around (had a huge shed and now I am not shedding much), and had the typical postpartum sheds, but my growth rate seemed fairly steady.

eamane
June 18th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Since I got pregnant in spring 2006, I have been pregnant or breastfeeding constantly and I'm still breastfeeding my youngest a little, him being 19 months old. It hasn't really affected my growthrate, maybe growing a little faster during pregnancy, but I have lost a lot of hair about 4-5 months postpartum both times.

fairystar32
June 18th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Mine was awful when pregnant, it was dry, brittle, broke and shed badly. It has only just recovered now in the last 6 mths and he is 2. i am still BF so maybe thats why it took so long?