PDA

View Full Version : What does "blended layers" mean?

jaine
June 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I apologize in advance for what is probably a blindingly obvious question!
I saw some posts about "blended layers" and I just can't figure out what that means for a haircut ... I could visualize 2 different things that it might mean but I don't know which one is right (or maybe neither of them!)

1 - Does it mean the ends of the layers are texturized & wispy so that they "blend" in to the surface of the hair that it's lying on top of?

2 - Or does it mean that the length of each bit of hair (from scalp to end) is similar to the length of the hair next to it? For example if you comb the hair perpendicular to the scalp with the surrounding hair, there wouldn't be sudden changes in length.

Cholera
June 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I think it means that the layers are wispy and blend in with the hair under it. This would be opposed to choppy layers, that are very obvious and thick.

jaine
June 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
That makes sense ...thanks! :)

UltraBella
June 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Unblended layers literally look like steps, you can see the chop, chop, chop....... all the way down. Blended layers all flow together. An experienced stylist will have no problem creating blended layers. A good example of blended layers are mine :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=72404

Speckla
June 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I have blended layers. You can't really tell they're there unless you run your hands through my hair. It takes some of the bulk and weight from my hair without looking choppy.

FrannyG
June 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Blended layers are gorgeous, and many stylists are excellent at doing them. Do be aware that there are some hair stylists who will try to use razors to make blended layers. Do not allow anyone to razor cut your hair, as it can lead to splits, as I've seen first-hand on a few people who were previously split-free.

UltraBella
June 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
My layers are razor cut :) It's not the razor, it's the stylist who uses a dull one that is to blame. If a new razor is used every time, there won't be fuzziness or split ends. The same thing can happen with dull scissors. Make them change the razor in front of you to assure that it is brand new.

jaine
June 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
That is good to know! That might be why my last razor cut hasn't given me splits yet ... it's been 6 months and no splits. But I have gotten splits in less than a month from other razor cuts (and from scissor haircuts too)

Thank you for the pictures!!!