PDA

View Full Version : Insect bites??

StormVixen
June 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
there are millions and billions of miges, gnats, mozzies, what ever you want to call them where im living atm... i cover myself in Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil to stop them biting me (which really works!)... But... I dont know if its ok to put on my hair/scalp so i havent put any there...

now i have loads of bites on my head and they itch...! (im scratching alot and im worried im going to get a scalp infection the same as i got about 10 years ago from an insect bite)...

Is Avon SSSDO safe for hair/scalp? or Is there anything safe for hair/scalp to stop insects biting and to treat the bites that are already there?

Thanks so much!

xXx

jera
June 17th, 2010, 02:52 PM
there are millions and billions of miges, gnats, mozzies, what ever you want to call them where im living atm... i cover myself in Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil to stop them biting me (which really works!)... But... I dont know if its ok to put on my hair/scalp so i havent put any there...

now i have loads of bites on my head and they itch...! (im scratching alot and im worried im going to get a scalp infection the same as i got about 10 years ago from an insect bite)...

Is Avon SSSDO safe for hair/scalp? or Is there anything safe for hair/scalp to stop insects biting and to treat the bites that are already there?

Thanks so much!

xXx

I don't know if Avon is okay for use on your scalp and hair. What is the ingredient list?
Please find some way to keep your poor scalp healthy and free from insect bites. You can suffer hair loss from bite infestation and that would be a shame. :rolleyes:

StormVixen
June 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I don't know if Avon is okay for use on your scalp and hair. What is the ingredient list?
Please find some way to keep your poor scalp healthy and free from insect bites. You can suffer hair loss from bite infestation and that would be a shame. :rolleyes:

Thanks... it has a VERY long list of ingredients! um... I've read thru it and decided im not going to put it on my hair... there are soo many chemicles and it smells really strongly of alcohol!I suppose ill just have to cover my head with scarves and hats! hopefully it will stop itching soon too!

thanks again xXx

Lykaios
June 18th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hmm, for the bites already there, I tend to turn to natural remedies. you could use witch hazel water (which you can usually find in your local pharmacy or make yourself if it grows where you live) or you could use a poultice of plantain which you would crush up and put on the bites. I am quite sure it won't hurt your hair either way. Here are the plants I am talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Plantain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hazel

Stephichan
June 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Aloe might be good for your scalp, and it's okay to put on your hair. I think to keep from getting new ones, just wear hats, scarves, bandannas, etc. Good luck!

Kome
June 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I feel your pain. I lived in an apartment with kittens who had flea's. I decided to count my bites one day, as everyone else only had like 15-20 bites. I had OVER 150 flea bites. They love me, what can I say? Hah. I was miserable though, so I hope you find a solution! I wasn't using anything as I didn't know of anything to use. Good luck!

jera
June 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I feel your pain. I lived in an apartment with kittens who had flea's. I decided to count my bites one day, as everyone else only had like 15-20 bites. I had OVER 150 flea bites. They love me, what can I say? Hah. I was miserable though, so I hope you find a solution! I wasn't using anything as I didn't know of anything to use. Good luck!

Some people are delicious, (I think it's the blood), and it's not funny. They can swell up and have all sorts of negative side effects. Insect bites are a bummer. Calamine lotion sooths the itchies and burning feeling but it's bright pink and would show on your scalp. Would a cortisone cream help? It would relieve the inflammation and itching for sure. :)

hybrise
June 18th, 2010, 04:22 PM
People think I'm crazy when I tell them this, but if you have honeysuckle anywhere handy you can either chew or mash it well into a poultice and apply it to a bite. I've always found spit poultices to work best, but some people are unenthusiastic about chewing leaves, haha. It stops the itching and the swelling. If both the honeysuckle and the bite are fresh it can even make the bite disappear within a minute or two.

Of course, if you're using this on your scalp you would have plant matter to wash out of your hair, but it is safe.