PDA

View Full Version : More shine when curly for me

julliams
June 17th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I've noticed (through photographs only) that my hair seems to have more shine when curly than when straight. I see loads of people with straight hair that is very shiny. Since I am naturally wavy, I'm wondering if when my hair is in an altered state (ie straight) that whatever normally gives it shine, is not in a position to be able to "do it's job"???

Do any other wavies find this? Or is it just something to do with the flash?

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Well, your straighter hair has more to do with cone build-up than styling, right? That would proably explain the dullness.

share801
June 17th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Unfortunately, no. If i wrap it and let it dry "straighter" (I don't heat straighten) it looks much shinier than its usual wavy self.

julliams
June 17th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Well, your straighter hair has more to do with cone build-up than styling, right? That would proably explain the dullness.

Kind of. At the moment I'm coned to the eyeballs but I have pics where I was totally cone-free but my hair still was straighter as I was brushing it and there is just nowhere near the shine I get when my hair is in it's curly state. I'm wondering if it's just a flash/lighting thing.

Nae
June 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I think that my hair is similar. My hair just looks kinda coarse and not silky when it is straight (you know, on day two after the wurlies fall out lol.) My curls seem to pick up the light better maybe because overall they lay together smoother. I guess......never really thought about it before.:confused: Now I have something to think about on my way to work! YAY!:D

Purdy Bear
June 17th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I read somewhere it is just the fact the hair has more of a kink then straight.

With straight hair its easier for the light to catch it so looks like it has more shine, but with a wave or curl the light bounces off less so looks like it has less shine..

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I read somewhere it is just the fact the hair has more of a kink then straight.

With straight hair its easier for the light to catch it so looks like it has more shine, but with a wave or curl the light bounces off less so looks like it has less shine..

Yes, but that doesn't explain going from curly to straight hair, and how it has more shine CURLY than it does when STRAIGHT, essentially the opposite of what you've posted.

I'd know how to answer if it were heat-styled. Often, the hair is duller when it's heat-styled down from curly (as mine was yesterday), but beyond that, I dunno.

Also, with brushing, it might roughen the cuticle up a bit--killing shine.

anniemae
June 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Yes, I notice this at times, too. Sometimes I notice that my hair does seem shinier when it's wavy/curly. I think that this might be because I'm using more products in my hair - leave-in & gel - which make it shine.

When I straightened it, the ends always looked a little dry.

LoveMyMutt
June 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
My hair always looks kind of dull when it's straight. It is definitely shinier in its natural wurly state.

I think it has something to do with the way the cuticle on curly hair doesn't lay down as smoothly and tightly as on straight hair. So it looks shinier when the strands are curling, but when it is straight it probably looks rougher?

MissCoco
June 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM