PDA

View Full Version : strand thickness and frizz

christine1989
June 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I was just wondering if there is any correlation between the thickness of hair strands and frizz. Do people with fine hair get more than those with corse strands? Personally I have VERY thick strands and get a good amount of frizz which is the opposite of what I would expect.

mira-chan
June 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
The amount of wave/ curl and frizz are interrelated. As for strand thickness, I guess we'll see.

I have coarse hair (9 to 10 um strands) and plenty of frizz.

MissMB
June 17th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Hmm.. I once knew a girl who had a hair type similar to mine, who had really really bad frizzy hair. Then again, it could have been because she dyed it like there was no tomorrow. Really. XD

Loreley
June 17th, 2010, 12:45 AM
My hair is M/C and it's a little bit frizzy, especially when the weather is hot. Oiling always solves this problem. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 17th, 2010, 01:00 AM
YES! I totally think frizz is somewhat related to coarseness. I have very coarse hair and i always, ALWAYS have frizz :(

Curl pattern is another thing that increases frizz IMO.

freckles
June 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I have fine hair and no frizz, DBF has coarse hair and a fair bit of frizz. So, that's a datapoint.
But I'm a straightie and he's a wurly, so that's probably more related.

Pandora.
June 17th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I have some fine and some medium strands. Some days I'll get frizz, other days I won't, which is weird considering the amount of times I've bleached and heat-styled my hair.

Athanéis
June 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM
My hair is very fine and very frizzy. I think it is more related to hair type. My hair is wavy so all the shorter hairs want to curl up and stick out of my hair. Only some kind of gel can tame it a bit.

LoveMyMutt
June 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
My hair is very fine, very thick and very frizz-prone. A lot of it was due to dryness, but even after changing my haircare routine to Curly Girl (CO washing, lots of conditioner, no heat styling, no brushing) I still get frizzy on humid days. My hair is porous, so perhaps it absorbs moisture from the air more which makes it pouf out? And it is wavy/curly. I have to use a leave-in conditioner and gel otherwise it looks horrible.

GRU
June 17th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I too think it's more a matter of wave/curl pattern than strand thickness.

Frizz happens when the hairs aren't all aligned like soldiers in formation. People with stick-straight hair are more likely to have hair that stays "in formation" than people with wavy or curly hair. Wavy/Curly hair that has been manipulated (brush/comb/fingers, wind, etc.) is less likely to remain "in formation". Straight hair that has been manipulated INTO formation will be less frizzy, whereas straight hair that has been manipulated OUT OF formation (like with wind) will be more frizzy.

dropinthebucket
June 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Static electricity is a major culprit for frizz. I've never actually rubbed one of those dryer sheets on my hair, but yeah, frizzy straight thin hair is different for me than the days it's wavy and "frizzy looking" from being pumped up by humidity. Either way ... mine's gonna frizz! :)

lapushka
June 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I have F hair, sometimes it's extremely frizzy (I can spot that quickly, just by the way it's starting to airdry), other times not at all, and there's lots of inbetween... but my hair is still F, so I don't think it depends on the thickness of individual strands. Henna seemed to make my hair rather more N, strands were a little thicker, and still it got frizzy.

GoddesJourney
June 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have M/C hair and it is both straight and wavy. I used to get horrible frizz until I accepted the whole CO thing. My hairs are flat, like those of a curly only my hair is not curly. My hairs look coarse from the flat side but almost fine from the thin side.

ETA: It's always frizzy when it's damp, but not wet.

CrystalStar
June 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Earlier, I was playing with an electric micrometer, and apparently my hair is 0.4-5mm thick on hennaed parts, and 0.3-4mm thick on the undyed roots, whereas my boyfriends is 0.1mms thick. My hair has a tendency to get far more tangly, frizzy and windswept than his!