PDA

View Full Version : Help! Extremely sensitive scalp & skin!

PiroskaCicu
June 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I have *extremely* sensitive skin and scalp... The slightest irritant makes my skin either horribly dry and scaley or break out! It's terrible. The only moisturizer I can use safely is coconut oil.... but so far have not found any shampoo or conditioner that is truly good for my hair and scalp.

What do you recommend I use to clean my hair? I need something that is perfume free, as I am allergic to it, something natural and simple that will clean without destroying my skin.

Thanks in advance for advice!

MissMB
June 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I would recommend Heritage Olive Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. I only got to use it once, but HOLY MOLY it was fantastic. My hair was soft as anything. It's also hypoallergenic if that helps? I can't find it at Sally's or Wal-Mart, but you can order it online. It's not too expensive.

Good luck!

teela1978
June 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Would a baking soda wash work on your skin?
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/

teela1978
June 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
oops. double post

PiroskaCicu
June 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I've tried baking soda wash and my skin was even worse after wards :(. For some reason my skin can't handle anything.... even water makes it irritated. I am guessing that water irritates it because of the chemicals added into tap water.

HintOfMint
June 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Maybe a filter for your showerhead might be a good investment, since even tap water makes your hair freak out and it is possible you have hard water.

Fractalsofhair
June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Tried(unscented) shampoo bars with an ACV rinse? That might help.

PiroskaCicu
June 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Where do you get shampoo bars? natural health stores?

Deborah
June 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
If you like to CO wash, Sally's sells an uncolored, fragrance-free, light conditioner called CURE CARE CONDITIONER. This works very well for CO washing, or I suppose it would work as a light conditioner too. It's less than $3 for a 20 ounce bottle.

Lately I have been doing all CO washing in a slightly different way, with wonderful results. I take 1/4 cup of the CURE CARE, 1/4 cup of warm water, and 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of citric acid powder, shake them all together well, and wash with only that, after wetting my hair in the shower. No more conditioner is added, so it is a way to CO using much less conditioner. It seems to clean faster and better than regular CO washing. Once I have fully rinsed, I then pour about a quart of cold water over my hair to which I have added 1/2 teaspoon more of the citric acid powder. I don't rinse this out. The result is lovely, shiny, clean hair.

I hope you find something that works as well for you. :flower:

Now, the dry, sensitive skin is something I have always had to deal with. I make homemade cold cream with which I wash most of the time. It works great, and I don't even need a moisturizer afterwards, as long as I don't scrub too hard. When I don't use that I either wash with Sorbolene Lotion or with castor oil. Both of these work well, and I follow them with a layer of castor oil or camellia oil or both (usually both.) My skin does very well this way.

PiroskaCicu
June 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Deborah, thanks so much! The CO washing with that conditioner sounds like it could work for me. What do you use to make the cold cream?

LaurelSpring
June 16th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I have some problems with sensitivity also. Shampoo bars work pretty well but give me build up. I also loved the Flowermoon dairy whip but they arent making that anymore which makes me really sad because I am almost on my last tup of that. Scalp washes opened up some new possibilities for me because my scalp likes shampoo bars and Dr. Bronners but my length didnt. With scalp washes my scalp and hair are happier.

I recently tried an egg wash and was pretty happy with that so that might be something that you can look into. I mixed the egg with aloe and honey. Also there is some good info here on using Soapnuts (aritha). Check out Mellie's siggy link for the article. I have used the actual nuts and soaked them and also have some of the aritha powder which I got on ebay pretty cheap. It works ok for me also. Hope this helps!

LaurelSpring
June 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Where do you get shampoo bars? natural health stores?

It seems that most people here get them online from Chagrin Valley. That is where I got mine.

Deborah
June 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Deborah, thanks so much! The CO washing with that conditioner sounds like it could work for me. What do you use to make the cold cream?

Here's a link to the recipe I use. The thing goes on for many pages, but all you really need is the recipe from the first page. I can answer any questions you may have.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13006

Gilly
June 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I sympathise with you, I spent years trying to find something I could use that would not have me scratching till I bled:(
I currently use Mastey Triate shampoo and frehair conditioner, this combo is great for me, I can even CO wash with the Frehair:cheese:

christine1989
June 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hugo Naturals shampoo is great. It is sulfate, paraben, silicone and artificial fragrance free plus it does a good job of getting rid of build up. :)

urara12
June 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have *extremely* sensitive skin and scalp... The slightest irritant makes my skin either horribly dry and scaley or break out! It's terrible. The only moisturizer I can use safely is coconut oil.... but so far have not found any shampoo or conditioner that is truly good for my hair and scalp.

What do you recommend I use to clean my hair? I need something that is perfume free, as I am allergic to it, something natural and simple that will clean without destroying my skin.

Thanks in advance for advice!

me too have ultra sensitive skin & scalp.
I can't use oil even I react with jojoba oil.now I am using Free & clear shampoo and conditioner.
today I tried DHS clear shampoo.... now my scalp sore.

I heard jr liggett's old fashioned bar shampoo is good for sensitive skin people. ( but I haven't try because I am affraid of the vegetable oil formulation )
hope you can find something don't cause your skin problem.

Purdy Bear
June 17th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I have a sensitive scalp and skin. I can only use certain brands of Aqueious cream which you can use as a soap, and a shaving cream. I have yet to find a shampoo for me, but then I dont need one at the moment.