PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of whacking it off.

MissMB
June 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
**************Please jump to the end of the thread, I did not end up cutting my hair. Thank you for all of the help!**************

So I've grown my hair to 35" long from root to tip. Ever since I was little I always wanted long hair and I finally have it. But I think the novelty has worn off. I've gotten so used to it I don't even really even see it as long anymore, or all that pretty. I've never dyed it and it's in good condition.

I have a feeling if I cut it off to my shoulders I'm going to deeply regret it. That I'll be so bored with it after the novelty wears off. But the truth is I'm already really bored with it. It's either down, bun, or braid.

I have a long face, large forehead, and large nose. While long hair is beautiful, maybe I can't pull it off? I tried bangs but had to grow them out, my skin is too oily. :\

Would you suggest cutting it off? Keeping it and trying new styles? Something else? Thank you for any advice.

http://i49.tinypic.com/s4p3c2.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2prb30k.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/20fojnm.jpg

Fractalsofhair
June 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
What about some layers near your face for added interest. That might look lovely! Also, what about trying some different bun styles? Your hair looks amazing!

MsBubbles
June 16th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Oh my goodness your hair is to die for! Healthy, shiny, gorgeous color and full, with some body to it, too.

I have no advice on the rest of your post, however! I do understand what you're saying about feeling like you don't have the face to pull it off. But not about you because I don't know what you look like. I feel that way about myself. I am in the same boat with the bangs/oil too. I do understand what you mean.

If you were to have it all cut off, what style or length would you go for, so that you *knew* you wouldn't be instantly fed up with it?

But oh my gosh. Your hair!! :inlove:

MicheleClaire
June 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hahaha 'whacking it off'. Sorry. xD

Your hair is absolutely beautiful, I want my hair to look just like yours! I have often had the same thoughts that perhaps my face isn't suited for long hair, but that is really just a preference/opinion. Ask your friends any family what they think!

In the end, it's your hair. While it is gorgeous at this length, I'm sure you would be happy with a short and sassy 'do as well. I'm sure this is said pretty often at LHC, but hair does grow back. =)

Kristin
June 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I don't think you should "whack it off" to shoulder-length. Maybe try the layers as Fractalsofhair suggested. You could even cut it back to waist or BSL and get layers around the front. I agree that you might deeply regret it if you cut your hair to shoulder-length. You could also try curling it (without heat, of course). Or learn some new updos?

Pandora.
June 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
It looks as if you've worked really hard for your hair, so it would be a shame to cut it off!

I'm going to give you honest suggestions here: if you want to be happier with your hair, it's not just your hair you may need to change. To feel more confident you coud try wearing make-up that you probably wouldn't wear normally, experiment with different styles of clothes and jewellery, and maybe play around with various hair toys and hair accessories. Be creative! If you try out lots of different things in order to feel happier about yourself then you'll probably end up loving your hair even more. Making slight alterations to your appearance could quite possibly change the way you are seeing your hair on a whole. Bottom line is that there are other alternative ways to feel less bored about your appearance, instead of deciding to chop all your lovely hair off. :)

princessp
June 16th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe you should start wearing it in crazy fun styles (look at some of Bjork's styles). There is an awesome album of great/fun updos on here in someone's album (I commented on it, but can't remember who owns it). Sorry I wish I could point you right to it, but maybe if you search blogs and albums for updos you'll get some inspiration. You could also try putting in some colorful hair extension, get some new hair toys, or like someone mentioned do something just to the front. I think long hair is way more versatile than short hair. Anyway whatever you decide, it is beautiful long.

SlightlySoprano
June 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Question for OP:

Do YOU feel like you can't pull it off, or are people telling you so?

This is of course a non-biased opinion because I haven't seen your face, but your hair is absolutely luscious and gorgeous and I think it would be a shame to cut it. If you really feel like you need a change, why not just take off a little bit of length and see how you like it there?

Medievalmaniac
June 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
It's so gorgeous! I'm mad jealous. Wait two weeks before you whack!! I learned that rule from being here, and it's a good one to follow. :)

May
No don't cut! lol...just kidding, of course if you want to go for it but I suggest going to a quality salon and asking for long layers to add body and movement but make sure you ask for the layers to be VERY blended. If you still can't stand it then go to BSL and if you still want it shoulder then go ahead. At least you'll know you tried something in between. I :heartbeat your hair though. Beautiful.

trillcat
You have drop dead beautiful hair!
That said, if it is not you, and does not make you happy, it can be just that pretty and I would say change it.
BUT!!!
I would also say forgo that 2 week rule we have here
for any major change and go 2 month, if not more. That is some awsome hair, I mean, just WOW.
I would also agree to try some layers around the face first to soften it a bit if you have strong facial features. That can make all the difference.
The all one length does not suit everyone, I am in that boat. I need some layers around my face, My face shape is different, but the big nose, I got it, and well all one length is not very flatering. (on me) The oily deal, I shampoo my bangs (which are longish) every morning when I wash my face. They are bangs, they can take it.
Whatever you decide, you will look lovely, but my gosh that is some beautiful hair.

spidermom
June 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Your hair is beautiful. Work on some new ways to wear it before you cut it off, o.k? Please?

McFearless
June 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
No major chops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I say get a U-shaped hemline. I think it would look great

Deborah
June 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Sweet Girl,

Don't cut it at all. You're just bored. Your hair looks lovely.

How about trying some new hair toys, or interesting ways to wash it, i.e., Indian herbs or CO+citric acid. Do you have any Ficcares or fake ones? Have you tried hair forks or Flexi-8s?

By being able to wear it down or in an updo or in braids, you already have two more options than you'd have with short hair. Shoulder length is, in my not-very-humble opinion, the worst length. It's just long enough to get caught in your collars, necklaces, etc., but not long enough to put it up easily. It's long enough to hang on your neck in hot weather, but not long enough to happily contain.

Don't dye it, don't put in layers or bangs, just leave it alone! It's just right as it is. Honestly.

Lamb
June 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Please don't cut it. I like short hair, but it would be a shame to cut yours, and you would definitely regret it I think.
Experiment with your part. Try "soft", low updos, or new ways to braid. Incorporate headbands into your updos. If you are brave, get bangs. But do choose your bangs wisely if you have a big nose - do you, btw? what do other, unbiased, people say?

Whatever you do, no drastic cuts, please!! Your hair is to die for. :flower:

ptnicole
June 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
WOW...you have the hair all of us want! You've grown such a healthy, shiny beautiful head of hair. PLEASE, if you decide to cut, do it gradually like others have suggested! You may find a length that works for you that is not as drastic as going to shoulder.

If you end up getting to APL...we would love for you to join us in the APL to BSL thread :)!

trillcat
June 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Sweet Girl,

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't cut it at all.
Don't dye it, don't put in layers or bangs, just leave it alone! It's just right as it is. Honestly.

I agree not to dye it, Just why, it is beautiful, but as to layers, around the face, we don't know as all we can see is the back.
Again. All one length does not suit everyone's face, no matter how pretty the hair.

Demetrue
June 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Your hair is too gorgeous to cut short. What about just a trim, maybe up to waist, slight U-shaped hem.

pennylane
June 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS!!!! So smooth and shiny!! :D

If you decide to cut a little I suggest something like this. Layered only on the front and a few long fringes... the photo shows shoulder length but i would cut longer say, BSL or above the waist.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

Jennifer Aniston
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/mikisu/jennifer-aniston-layered-long.jpg

OUKess
June 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I definitely think you should keep it!!! Beautiful Hair!!!

jane53
June 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Don't whack it off!

That's why I first came to LHC. I was thinking of whacking mine off. I've had it long forever and was curious and bored.

I learned some more updos here and do different things with my hair more often and I'm less inclined to whack it off.

Though I understand the impulse.

YOUR hair, however, is too lovely to whack off!

MissMB
June 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Oh my gosh you guys are so nice, wow! Thank you all for replying! I did not expect such feedback. I can't believe you guys think it's so pretty haha!! I'm flattered.

I have been seriously considering taking it off for about a month now. I like the idea of trying layers before I hack it off. Especially framing the face because the length in the front just elongates my face. I'd even consider dying it as a last resort. Go out with a bang, lol. I also like the idea of experimenting with different styles in a general sense first a lot.

I will take everything into consideration for a while longer before I do anything, if I do anything. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

@SlightlySoprano
Some people, even strangers, tell me to never cut it. On the other hand, my "best friend" and my dad tell me they don't like it and to cut it off - among other people. Ty!

@Deborah
I apologize but I do not know what Ficcares, hair forks, or Flexi-8s are. XD That is an interesting perspective on shoulder length hair. I guess I have to agree.. all those stupid websites that talk about face shapes say it's very flattering though. Ty.

@Lamb
Headbands are fun. I love soft, low updos but I'm so bad at them haha. Some people tell me it's big some people tell me I look "fine". Thank you.

@ptnicole
Thank you! What is APL? :)

@pennylane
What is BSL, back shoulder length? Thanks for the suggestion!

[picture]

hemolymph
June 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I would cut it shorter, but not to your shoulders.. what about waist? That way if you regret cutting it, it won't be that bad =) I also second the layers.
I personally hate layers but they are fun to have if you've never had them before!!

Also, I saw a video on youtube where you can do sock bun curls.. and I think it looks especially cool with layers.

PS- Just saw the pic you posted. You are gorgeous! What I wouldn't give to have your face & hair!! Lucky duck!!

justgreen
June 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have an oily forehead, so I've been just washing my bangs every other day or so. It's much easier that way.

Deb!
June 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I have a long face, large forehead, and large nose.

You're hard on yourself!

You are very pretty and your hair is fabulous! Maybe you just need something as simple as a side part.

MissMB
June 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah, with my bangs I'd wash them every day, sometimes they even needed it twice! They were pretty high maintenance and I was very self-conscious of them. But I really love bangs, and I wish I could have them!!

Peter
June 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I hope this isn't out of line, but you're very, very good-looking and your hair is awesome. Try bangs or layers around your face before a big cut, but if you do decide to get rid of it, I suggest doing it in small steps. Cut a few inches off, wait a week, cut another few inches, wait again, and so on until you're happy with it. :)

Yarn Muse
June 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I second the opinion that you are being hard on yourself. You are really PRETTY! With gorgeous hair! If I were you I wouldn't cut it, except maybe a trim. If you really feel the all-one-length does not suit your face, try a few layers in front maybe.

You and your hair are lovely. Seriously.

APL is Arm Pit Length

BSL is Bra Strap Length

trillcat
June 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Oh my gosh you guys are so nice, wow! Thank you all for replying! I did not expect such feedback. I can't believe you guys think it's so pretty haha!! I'm flattered.

I have been seriously considering taking it off for about a month now. I like the idea of trying layers before I hack it off. Especially framing the face because the length in the front just elongates my face. I'd even consider dying it as a last resort. Go out with a bang, lol. I also like the idea of experimenting with different styles in a general sense first a lot.

I will take everything into consideration for a while longer before I do anything, if I do anything. :)

@SlightlySoprano
Some people, even strangers, tell me to never cut it. On the other hand, my "best friend" and my dad tell me they don't like it and to cut it off - among other people. Ty!

@Deborah
I apologize but I do not know what Ficcares, hair forks, or Flexi-8s are. XD That is an interesting perspective on shoulder length hair. I guess I have to agree.. all those stupid websites that talk about face shapes say it's very flattering though. Ty.

@Lamb
Headbands are fun. I love soft, low updos but I'm so bad at them haha. Some people tell me it's big some people tell me I look "fine". Thank you.

@ptnicole

@pennylane

http://i48.tinypic.com/200sgft.jpg
My hair is normally flat as a board at the top, unfortunately, and parted in the middle. But here the grown-out bangs are bouncing up. (Ah this is embarrassing! I hope it helps..)

Girl, you could be a model, I am saying that with seething jealousy. :D
I am not the people you asked, but BLS is bra strap length, APL is arm pit length
Yep you got a big nose, and forehead.
Your eyes my dear, they are your face.
The one length does not flatter your forehead, It is too high on your hair line, makes you look like your hair is receding.
With a few wisps of hair around that to cover, your eyes will pop.
Your jaw line is great as well and with a cut around your face and still the length oh my.

Lamb
June 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Okay, so I just saw the picture you posted. You have regular, harmonious features, like a Madonna. Don't cut bangs, it would be a shame to break up the harmony. Big nose?? I don't even know what you mean. Honestly.
Have fun with side-braids (they are very hip this summer!), ribbons, accessories, flowers, whatever. But do not cut!

ETA: if you absolutely must do something about the nose, try a side-part. This is also a neat trick:
http://longhairloom.com/changeyourlook.html

heartgoesboom
June 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM
You are pretty! If I were you, the shortest I would cut it is waist length with layers. I find that's a very fashionable hair cut/length that can't go wrong.

pennylane
June 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM
@pennylane

MissMB , BSL means bra strap length. I think if you cut BSL or longer like above the waist plus a few layers on the face only , like the photo i posted, would look nice! :)

Your photo is pretty Miss MB! :D

Katurday
June 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
When I got bored of my hair, I used to cut it off. It worked for like a week, and I'd be back growing it out. Now I just pretend I'm a scientist achieving the perfect harmony of Manic Panic and Henna red. Sometimes you have to do something extreme to be happy.

Elenna
June 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Your hair is stunning.

I bet many of the hair styles here would work great with your hair. Many of these styles with the right hair toys look incredible on long healthy hair.

You are very pretty. I like the way you look, completely natural. It is the overall look that matters, and your features work together beautifully. You look like a real person.

I have a son about your age with a little bump on his nose, and it just looks interesting. Very handsome, I do worry about him. He's a girl magnet!

Carolyn
June 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM
With long hair you have dozens of styles you can do. There are so many braid and bun variations. With short hair, you'll have maybe 2 styles to do. Talk about boring! I think long hair enhances looks. I'd say no no no don't cut it. You'll be sorry. Make a minor change like a U shape hemline. Don't do anything drastic. Cutting gorgeous hair like yours off, doesn't solve any problems. It will only create new ones.

Shadow Walker
June 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I have a long face, large forehead, and large nose.

You're hard on yourself!

You are very pretty and your hair is fabulous! Maybe you just need something as simple as a side part.

I agree, I think you're being too hard on yourself. You are pretty and your hair is simply gorgeous. If I walked by you on the street my jaw would literally hit the pavement. :p

Please don't cut it, it would be quite a shame.

teela1978
Your hair looks great! Cutting to shoulder length seems a bit drastic. If you really need a change though it might not be a bad idea to cut off a few inches at a time and see if it feels better to you. Can you do self trims? Feye's self trim (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) is pretty simple, and would let you try removing a little at a time on your own (going in steps at a beauty parlor can get expensive!).

Also, (looking at your info) I would think your hair was at least a ii thickness, if not iii. Unless you are a very tiny person its definitely thicker than a i.

UltraBella
I personally find long, all one length, hair to be kind of bland and boring. Sorry in advance to those of you who this applies to !!!!!! I don't mean it in a disrespectful way, it's just not MY preference.
If I didn't have lots of layers and movement I would cut all my hair to shoulder length. I just can't stand it all one length and longer than that. It is completely a personal choice, I think your hair is lovely, but if you are bored and unsatisfied with it, what's the point in not trying something different ?? Enjoy it !

yogachic
June 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Or if you do cut, start small instead of one big cut.

PiroskaCicu
June 16th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hmm. This is just my honest feelings about this topic... I think if you truly desire to cut your hair, you should only cut a little bit at a time. Maybe if you cut to waist then you might find that is a wonderful length for you, or not. But at least it won't be all the way to shoulder length.Also, try out new styles or even get face framing layers. :)

Your hair is amazingly gorgeous though. When I saw the photos my heart stopped...it is so shiny, love the beautiful colour and how healthy it looks.

In my personal experience cutting all of your hair off is never a great thing to do, at least not all at once. In 2008 I was nearly at my hair goal of tailbone but I cut all of my hair back to my chin. It was horrible. For the first day I loved it, and then I was depressed for weeks. I cried a lot over cutting my hair.

But in the end it's about how you feel. Do you really feel that you don't want long hair anymore? Or is it others influencing you to feel this way?
Good luck with your decision but remember...your hair is simply beautiful and treat it like lace...whatever you decide be careful.

cindy58
June 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I think you're pretty (great eyes!) and your hair is outstanding! You're way too hard on yourself. Your bangs were probably fine too!

You just need to gain some confidence in yourself. I sure wouldn't cut the length drastically, maybe a little off and some long layers if you're inclined to try something different.

Merewen
June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
It's your hair, so you can do what you want with it, but I thought I'd give you my reaction.

When I saw your hair from the back I said "ooooooooh, very pretty!"

When I scrolled down and saw how your hair looks around your face I did this:
:thud:

I recommend time clicking around on youtube for hairstyle tutorials. Torrinpaige is a great place to start.

lastnite
June 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I have to agree, I don't think you should cut it. You are very pretty, the long hair just adds more beauty. Maybe a few layers, bun or braid waves.. Remember, it took many years and special care to grow, it would be a shame to see it all gone in just a few minutes.

MsBubbles
June 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Well having seen your face now in that photo (you're beautiful by the way), and how your hair grows at your forehead...if my hair did that instead of hanging straight plastered to my forehead I would have probably chin-length layers to add a bit of interest. With that wave thing your hair does at the front I think it'd stay out of your face naturally. But it's your hair and you know how it behaves!

But anyway, you're young and beautiful and carry off your stunning long hair in a spectacular way.

pennylane
June 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I personally find long, all one length, hair to be kind of bland and boring. Sorry in advance to those of you who this applies to !!!!!! I don't mean it in a disrespectful way, it's just not MY preference.
If I didn't have lots of layers and movement I would cut all my hair to shoulder length. I just can't stand it all one length and longer than that. It is completely a personal choice, I think your hair is lovely, but if you are bored and unsatisfied with it, what's the point in not trying something different ?? Enjoy it !

My feelings exactly! :agree:

Also, BSL or above waist is not and never has been short hair omg!!!! that is still very long! ;)

LisaJaney
June 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM
First off, your hair is really lovely. But you sound unhappy with it. I was unhappy with mine (then again, it was crap, so we're talking apples and oranges here, but still...) I would go for some U-shaping, maybe cut back to waist-ish and see what you think?

And I'd LOVE to have my hair look like that pic of J Anniston that Pennylane linked. That's just a wonderful hairstyle.

melikai
June 16th, 2010, 08:12 PM
You have beautiful hair and a lovely face to carry it off with. If you must cut, I would suggest only a small amount, or add some layers - but not so many that updos are difficult.

You mentioned that you are bored with your hair because it's only ever "down, in a bun, or a braid", but keep in mind that if you cut it short, you'll only be able to wear it down or else maybe in a half-up, and it will require much more maintenance and styling.

Long hair is much more versatile. Maybe try looking up new styles on youtube or here in the Articles section. You could also do something fun like dye the tips of your hair with deposit-only colour (like Manic Panic), or get some clip-in coloured extensions et cetera.

Paniscus
June 16th, 2010, 08:33 PM
First off, my DD13 was standing here when I scrolled down to your picture. She said, "Wow, she's pretty." So yes, you're very pretty! My daughter is always accurate about these things :-)

Secondly, even though I am contemplating a huge cut myself (still debating), I can only say that you do have gorgeous hair and should not cut! Or, if you must change, do as was suggested to me and cut a few inches off or to mid-back.

It's always so much easier to give advice than take it though. So whatever you do, I hope you are happy with the results. I'm waiting for a long period (2 months- maybe 1) before my hair hits the scissors. I hope you take the time and do not do anything drastic too quickly. And yeah, I'm taking my own advice here as well :-)

Deborah
June 16th, 2010, 08:39 PM
What on earth are you talking about child? You are just plain beautiful! I see a classic, elegant face with clear skin and lovely eyes.

I still think you should not cut at all, unless you just want to have a fresh, nice hemline, but even then only cut an inch or a few inches.

No disrespect intended to anyone else, but I believe that with your straight, rather fine hair, layers or bangs will add nothing. Those with ultra-thick, wavy or curly hair may benefit from layers, but I don't think they are attractive on hair like yours and mine. Of course, if your heart is set on these, then do them anyway. You are quite young, and if you don't like them you have lots of time to grow them out. :)

Now, I admit that I don't think dyed hair is nearly as pretty as natural hair, but I think your hair color is just beautiful. It reminds me of honey. Again, do what you like, but there are MANY on this list trying to grow out dyed hair that they regret, hoping to end up with hair just like yours!

Oh my gosh you guys are so nice, wow! Thank you all for replying! I did not expect such feedback. I can't believe you guys think it's so pretty haha!! I'm flattered.

@SlightlySoprano

@Deborah

@Lamb

@ptnicole

@pennylane

http://i48.tinypic.com/200sgft.jpg
My hair is normally flat as a board at the top, unfortunately, and parted in the middle. But here the grown-out bangs are bouncing up. (Ah this is embarrassing! I hope it helps..)

LaurelSpring
June 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Your hair is absolutely lovely and I think that you would regret it. Maybe you are just going through a phase and it will pass. Give it some time. Do something special for your hair to feel excited about it again or look at some encouraging pictures and styles. Torrinpage always does it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1wl8fNvto

Yozhik
June 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I know I'm repeating what most other people have been saying, but let me just chime in with the chorus: you are very pretty and your hair is stunning!

Your face plus your hair and it's length combine for a major "Wow" factor.

How long have you been growing out your hair? It must have been since you were fairly young . . . In any case, I'd definitely consider less drastic measures first before a big chop.

Good luck in whatever you choose -- you're very pretty, so I'm sure whatever hairstyle you choose will look great :flower:

oceanwoman111
June 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
You and your hair are stunning!! I think that your hair compliments your features perfectly. I totally understand how you feel about wanting something around your face. I toyed with the idea bangs lately ,but I know I always end up wishing that I didn't do it.
My hair is at waist right now. My hair texture and thickness is similar to yours and I feel like until I get to your length, it's just ordinary. I wish I could be where you are now, but I do understand how you feel. I have days where it feels blah and others when I Love it!! I think that you should indulge a bit and schedule a photo shoot! Then whenever you have any doubts you can just look at your pics and say, "Wow!!" :flowers:

SurprisingWoman
June 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I don't really see how being bored with your hair will change all that much by cutting to a shorter length. You are still going to have limited choices on what to do.

Your hair is lovely. Rag curls, plopping, new updo's...

good luck

julliams
June 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Another vote for styles. I thought it would be kind of neat to try to do a different style each day until you run out and then cycle them all over again.

If you really are sick of it - should you keep it for the rest of your life just because it's gorgeous? Not really. If you need a change, maybe you need to cut a different style and then become one of the many who are trying to grow to long again.

I've often wondered about what I'm going to think of my hair once I've reached a goal. Will I just think - Ok I've done that - what's next? Do I want to grow it just because it's not long at the moment? Do I always just want what I don't have???

Can you try curling it? This will eat up alot of your length and give you a totally different look. You could experiment with different ways of curling your hair so that it looks and works best for you?

Let us know what you decide.

CrowningGlory
June 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Girl, you must turn heads every time you walk down the street! Your hair is gorgeous and as for your face, I don't know what you're talking about. Now I have a big nose and need bangs to soften it but you don't need anything although if you like bangs why not some super wispy ones that can be worn down or blended back into the length?

As for Ficcares, hair forks, and Flexi-8s you need to spend some more time here and you'll discover that they are hair toys and are wonderful for securing updos and creating interest. Before you do anything, search out the threads on the hair toys and fall in love with some. With an ever-growing collection of hair toys you won' t have time to get bored with your hair.

error
June 16th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Omg if you dont want your hair . We will all gladly take it and share it! LOL

invisiblebabe
June 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
You are beautiful! (And, I have seen models with features like yours. You remind me of Leelee Sobieski, too.)

If you are bored with your look, I would suggest trying a side part, some soft face framing layers while keeping the length (or maybe doing a 1" to 2" trim), and/or some curls or waves.

It also might be fun for you to experiment with different clothing styles. That helps me when I get bored ;)

HintOfMint
June 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
You are a legitimately and objectively lovely young lady. A real natural beauty. I don't think any of us want to hear any more nonsense about having a big nose.:flower:

Cuts made out of boredom rarely satisfy in the long term, and tend to depress and frustrate. But if you found a cut that you genuinely believe suits you more, then who are we to tell you don't? But seriously, if our opinions mean anything, don't.

I will say, perhaps Pandora is on to something. Maybe shaking it up a bit in another aspect of your looks or life will satisfy you. Scratch the itch, so to speak.

Loreley
June 17th, 2010, 12:39 AM
:thud: Your hair is so gorgeous! Healthy, shiny, beautiful! I'd never cut a hair like yours!

MissMB
June 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I do love some side braids. Torrinpaige just taught me how to do the rope braid, I think I want to try a four-piece braid too! I like the idea of doing some kind of airy, whispy layers - nothing too dramatic, I'm sure a little goes a long way. Tie that in with a u-shaped hem.

I have made a vow to myself though, that once I really cut it, I'm never growing it past below the bust again. I guess I considered shoulder-length hair also boring, but at least it is far more simple. Like maybe somehow my features would stand out more and I wouldn't be all hair. I was also thinking that, if long hair really didn't suit me, maybe I should just appreciate it instead of having it.

I must add, though, that I think it is very interesting how some people are totally opposed to long hair (is there a thread on that?) and others just adore it. A friend recently told me I looked like his niece when she was in third grade with it. And sometimes, I just feel downright like a downright spectacle to people. Occasionally I breathe a sigh of relief when someone doesn't mention it when I wear it down in public, because I don't want them to talk about how totally outlandishly long my hair is (there is longer!). So I guess what really matters is what you think about it. And don't get me wrong, I get compliments too.

I appreciate all of your generous comments. Thank you so much to everyone for giving me your thoughts. I would say that after reading them all I'm leaning more toward keeping it long and experimenting with styles and such for a while. If I'm still unhappy, I will likely cut it waist then BSL.

~ (I apologize for the length of this) Maybe instead of making you guys envious, I could do something positive like take pictures that are encouraging and inspirational to those who are growing. I've done it twice, and I know how terrible it can feel in the beginning. We'll see! ~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@teela1978
What a great length! Yes, even a simple trim at the "cheap places" is really up there. And you have to stand up!! Pff. I was not sure about the thickness, but you are probably right. I'm rather tall. :)

@UltraBella
Your hair has so much volume! That's awesome. My hair is kind of in-between. Sometimes I wish I had that board-straight hair or lovely curls but hey you get what you get.

@PiroskaCicu
Yeah, I had a terrible hair experience myself. I think that's a long one for another thread! :) I think others have had a lot of influence on me with it..

@Yozhik
I have been growing it out since I was 13, so about 7 1/2 years. But I'll admit that in the past year I've just ignored it a lot. Washed it, and put it up. Thank you!!

@MsBubbles
It's actually normally very flat, for whatever reason my grown-out bangs were feeling quite uppity that day. Thanks a lot, you're very kind.

@Merwen
Wow thank you so much!! Haha! Thank you guys for that link, she is great.

@Paniscus
Aw your daughter is sweet! Thank you both. I hope you reach a happy state of mind with your hair choice!

@Deborah
You are so nice! I was always against dying it for the longest time, but strawberry blonde really interests me in changing it. Maybe in the future.

@oceanwoman11
No no! Waist length is beautiful. And I can relate to the hot/cold feelings toward your hair haha. That's a good idea. :)

@julliams
Exactly, I did not really plan anything past growing it back out after it got cut. Now I'm having those "where do I go from here?" phases. Just enjoy it? I think in some cases that really is what it is: wanting what you can't have. But at least when it's long, you can go to short - but not the other way around.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 17th, 2010, 01:08 AM
So many advices given, i'll just add my 2 cents here.

I suggest you gradually trim (little by little) until you feel your hair has changed. Chopping out of boredom isn't good for your health :( I mean it, been there done exactly that!

You can spice up your hair with clip-in colored extensions? :D

Or you can dye a few colored strands (you don't have to bleach for darker colors to show :) )

You can fake shoulder-length hair with this length! As far as i can remember, you tie the ends with a ribbon and then start rolling it upwards, until you reach your shoulders. Then you tie the ribbon around your head like a headband :D Gives realistic results!

Barniie
June 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I second layers! Try some face framing layers and a few long ones at the back, and maybe a few inches off? Just to lose a bit of the weight and thickness, but nothing too drastic, your hair is lovely!

jera
June 17th, 2010, 01:32 AM
What concerns me is your attitude. You say you always wanted long hair but now that you've got it you're bored with it. You mention you want to cut it to BSL but fear after the novelty wears off you'll be bored. :( I think there's an issue with boredom here and your poor hair might end up as the target for your emotions which are indecisive and unstable right now.

If I were you I'd just buy a fun wig, BSL, and see how you feel. They have lots of inexpensive ones at Ebay. I'd hate to see you chop off your beautiful hair only to regret it a couple of months later. :)

share801
June 17th, 2010, 04:42 AM
You have beautiful hair!! I hope you choose to keep it.

Someone here posted once something that stuck with me so I will repeat it here - Your face is your face, and it looks better if you smile. - :) My apologies to OP of this sentence as I cannot recall the name of the person, but the thought stuck!

Fiferstone
June 17th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hi There:

Is your hair fine and straight? If so, it may be like mine, layers do NOTHING for my 1a/F/ii hair, absolutely nothing, but make it look like it's thinning. :shudder: Think very hard before you do layers. I find they work better on hair that is medium to thick texture, that has a bit of a wave already.

You don't know what flexi-8's , ficcares, ficcarissimo's or hairsticks are???

Girl, you need to open your eyes to the wonderful, utterly addicting world of hairtoys and the fun you can have with them. That will absolutely help out with the "boredom" factor.

I also love your color, I am a henna-head myself and remember, if you do dye, then you are making a committment to maintaining whatever color you choose, and do learn from my fail, if I may offer advice. Go to a professional whom you trust, do not trust yourself to pick out the correct color of something from the supermarket (which is what I did). Several years of supermarket permanent color left me with very badly dried-out hair and ultimately led me here, where I'm now doing much better as a henna-head. But that too is a commitment. There are times I wished I hadn't messed with my natural color, but I wasn't fast in love with it to begin with.

Hope this helps, and yes, your hair is gorgeous and you are very pretty.

jane53
June 17th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I vote against layers too!

I have hair your length and I have a U shaped hem, blunt cut bangs, and some slightly shorter front layers, but layers throughout would be disastrous in my hair.

I cut bangs years ago out of boredom, but discovered that they gave a lot of variety to my styles and had the added benefit of making my updos and backdos look less severe as I got older.

Pixna
June 17th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Your hair is gorgeous!!! You are BEAUTIFUL!!! Your features are classic and lovely -- nothin' "big" about 'em.

I also vote against layers. They are great for some people, but my personal view is that they work better for curly hair than straight. They would limit your ability to do updos and braids, and they are a royal pain the butt to grow out. No, no, no!!! :no:

I do vote on trying more and more fun styles. Although you are already familiar with Torrin Page, she has so much variety you could never get bored. You can try so many different kinds of braids, including a crown braid, which is so beautiful and feminine, and buns. To keep up interest, why not get some interesting and unusual hair toys? That's where I indulge myself and keep my interest going. I'm not all that adept with fancy styles, but a special hair toy will set off my bun miraculously, and for the most part, I don't even have to learn anything new -- the hair toy does it all. Cinnamon Hair (one of our members here) has several videos for updos for very long hair. Your length and texture remind me of hers (although her hair is a bit longer). With your thickness, you could do tons of buns without having them be heavy on your head.

Cupofmilk
June 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Whilst yo uhave the most amazing hair. I would try this - a cut to say waist or hip - take a bit of length off and then have fun with styles and see how you feel after a couple of months, if you still dont' like it cut shorter.
I cut my tb/classic hair off to short bsl and I regret it. I don't regret cutting it - I just wish I had gone to waist. My hair is now boucier and I can do more with it. I don't feel like I am sleeping with a python round my neck.
I have now also tried shorter and decided I want longer again. I think TB would suit me fine!

breezefaerie
June 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I know I'm coming late to the party, but I wouldn't cut. I think your hair, and face, are lovely. Perhaps some long bangs might make you feel a bit better.

I also second cutting only to waist and learning some cute updos.

evampr18
June 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
well, first of all i saw the words "whack it off" and hoped you were talking about a tree in your back yard and not your hair.

i think maybe seeing your hair and considering its beauty id cut it in layers. frame the face.....or keep it long but one constant straight length all around.

maybe you could henna some?

RecklessCharlie
June 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to say you've got some of the most amazing unspoiled, healthy looking hair I've ever seen!
Whatever you choose to do with your hair definitely make sure it is what you truly want at least 99%.
Lastly, your nose isn't a ski jump and thank god! Your face has uniqueness and that equals beauty because perfection is booorrrring.

mellie89
June 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Personally, I think I would trim a couple inches off and put in some soft, face-framing layers. You are really pretty, and I think if you need a change, that would be a great way to complement your features without whacking all your hair off!

By the way, I know pictures can be deceiving, but it looks to me like you are more like a ii thickness than a i. :)

Kome
June 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'd say try some layers. There are some really fun long hair cuts that can be done. You could have it cut to waist length with a bunch of layers, or maybe longer. These aren't the best pictures, but it's what I could find. I had multiple layers and my hair cut in a V shape. I did it at home, but I'm sure if you went to a professional they'd do a better job. :P

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/305f60e8.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/18190f12.jpg

DakarNick
June 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I agree that it should not be cut much, if at all; you and your hair are beautiful. If anything, cut to tailbone and see how you like it. A lot of people would die to have your hair, but you're the one who has to live with it. I just hope you don't do anything rash and then regret it. But, it will grow back regardless.

msdespondent
June 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM
You don't need a haircut! What you really need is new hairtoys. Shiny new ones which you can't wait to use in your hair. Try out new styles. New buns. Different braids. Try herbal rinses. Vinegar rinses. Coconut oil. Jojoba oil. Lightening your hair with honey. Or darkening it with henndigo. Go for months without washing. Or washing with only water. Or washing with only conditioner. Buy a new brush. Try a new comb. Take a picture of your hair everyday. Measure your hair everyday. There's so many things to do to with hair that length.

Surf the forums, be inspired by all the experiments, home treatments and hair toys. You'll find that 24 hours is not even enough to finish your search about some new toy or rinse that got you interested. Enjoy!

Sam-I-Am
June 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I can tell you my story but I can't tell you what to do with your hair :)

I wanted to grow my hair long enough to sit on. I did so. Guess what? It hurts to sit on your own hair. And since at that time I worked around typewriters and copiers and some moving parts, my boss asked me to wear my hair up at work so I never really saw it. I kept my hair at sit-on length for a year. Then I really started to get bored. I didn't want to go any longer. Since my hair is pretty curly most updos caused it to tangle badly and I would spend an hour combing, washing, conditioning, and pampering my hair twice a week. It was just too much. So I chopped 20" off and went to shoulder length.

I am so glad I cut my hair. I met my long hair goal and am proud of that, but I seriously don't miss all the high-maintenance hair crap I went through to keep my hair looking nice.

Also, now that I'm not obsessed with growing my hair it seems to be doing pretty well on its own! I cut it 6 months ago and it's already nearly BSL again. I want to go get it cut and styled but just haven't done it yet.

Do what you want to do! It is your hair and if you are unhappy or bored with it then do whatever you want to make you happy. I don't think wanting to cut your hair reflects negatively on your emotional state and I don't think you should keep your hair long just because you did a nice job growing it out.

Ninika
June 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM
You're really pretty, girl! I thought of Botticelli's venus when I saw that pic :). Everyone has been giving great advice already, and I just wanted to add that I think you'd look absolutely stunning with henna red. It would work great with your lovely eyes and skin tone.

One more thing: Is it just possible that you confused ponytail circumference with diameter? Your hair does not look like i to me...

teela1978
June 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Sam-I-Am makes a good point. In the end, its just hair (I know a lot of people around here hate that term :evil:). If you're bored and want it short, do it. It'll grow back if you change your mind. I've cut to chin and grown it back out many many times. You're allowed to do that :)

ravenreed
June 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I would be much more bored with my hair if it didn't have layers. I just got mine redone and it makes all the difference in how much I enjoy my hair.

restourceful
June 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
When I saw your hair from the back I said "ooooooooh, very pretty!"

When I scrolled down and saw how your hair looks around your face I did this:
:thud:

My sentiments exactly. :agape:

When I saw your hair I thought how gorgeous and shiny and healthy. Then I saw your face. You are breathtakingly, stunningly beautiful! There is nothing big or long about your face. You've gotten tons of good advice already, so I'll only add this: remember you can cut it off in the blink of an eye, but you can't put it back once it's gone. It will take years to get back what you have.

And one other thing, hairtoys and hair videos cover a multitude of boredom.

MissMB
October 6th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I apologize for my long absence. I have left my hair as it was and have greatly appreciated all of the tips. I am quite happy with it now. I wear it in hair sticks most days and I go nuts when they go missing on occasion. It is just a few inches shy of classic length now. I also love a good S&D. :)

Take care
MissMB

FrannyG
October 6th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Thank you for the update. You and your hair are just beautiful. I'm so happy that you didn't whack. :blossom:

Irnann
October 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I am glad you didn't cut it! It is so stunning!

Ten years ago i had hair darkbrown and hiplength. It was very healthy, but i feeld so bored about it and about me. I felt getting older, i wanted to change something. So i cut it off to my shoulders. It was so sad to see all this hair cutted off on the floor at my bathroom, i was crying right away.
And i didn't like my hair at shoulder lenght at all.
Because of this, i changed my color to red, i didn't liked it. Then i changed it again and i startet perming. I destroyed it even more with it.
Now i realized finally, its not my hair which was disturbing me, it was myself.

Lisa R
October 6th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Yay!! That is great news... I'm so happy for you. There are so many hair styles for your length. I enjoy watching Torrin's page, JJJ long hair and also Cinnanmon Bun's hair tutorials. Though my hair isn't very long (YET) I love seeing what they can do.

Happy Hair Fun To You!!

Addy
October 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM
It's so gorgeous! I'm mad jealous. Wait two weeks before you whack!! I learned that rule from being here, and it's a good one to follow. :)

Me thinks you should wait 2 years before you think about "whacking" it off!!! :D

sophiamarie
October 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Miss MB. I am fairly new here, joined in August. I just wanted to tell you I am so glad you did not cut your beautiful, beautiful hair. I used to have very long hair at different times in my life. The last time I cut to shoulder length, I liked my hair for about two days. Been trying to grow out this layered cut ever since! You are beautiful and your hair is beautiful.

Beatrix_Kiddo
October 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Don't cut your hair!!!!!!!! I had the same feelings 2 years ago and here I am, craving for my hair to grow. Buy new hair toys, try different braids or buns, but If you want a change anyways, ask for layers to add movement and wait a few weeks.
Your hair is gorgeous!

DarkChocolate
October 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Where is there a picture of her hair?

Beatnik Guy
October 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Where is there a picture of her hair?
First post in this thread. It's :thud:.

KristiLe
October 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I think layers too, you can do that gradually until you find the length and amount of layering you like.

VenusHalley
October 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I apologize for my long absence. I have left my hair as it was and have greatly appreciated all of the tips. I am quite happy with it now. I wear it in hair sticks most days and I go nuts when they go missing on occasion. It is just a few inches shy of classic length now. I also love a good S&D. :)

Take care
MissMB

Glad to hear it. YOu have amazing hair.

TinaDenali
October 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Wow, just found this thread. I'm so glad you didn't chop it! It's soooo pretty :blossom:

Angelica
October 6th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I am so glad that you did not cut it. It looks absolutely beautiful. I wish my hair was like yours. Yours is amazing, in such good condition, you can do many styles with it. I am sure that lots of people get bored. I have gotten bored with mine occasionally, but have resisted chopping because I know I would only grow it back again.

JuneBride
October 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I am new around here, and just saw this post. What did you end up doing?

My advice would have been to cut off a few inches...maybe 5 at most and ass in some (not a lot) of blended layers...just for some variation. But I would not go to much shorter than that.

Most people on here would die to have that long HEALTHY hair...and I have worked hard to get my little bit of hair back to health...so I personally would be so sad to see you lose it.

Capybara
October 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I am so glad that you are happy with your hair now :) And, that you didn't have to change it to be happy with it. You have gorgeous hair, lucky you!

MissMB
October 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM
@Irnann
I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'm glad you finally figured out what was bothering you though, that is really what's important.

@Lisa R
Yes, there are so many styles I have no idea about. I am quite satisfied with all the variety I can achieve now. I will be sure to check out all that you mentioned because I like Torrin's tutorials.

@sophiamarie
Thank you! This is a great community and you will love it. There is much to learn about hair even when you think you've got it down. Good luck to you on your growing journey. :)

@Angelica
I always wished my hair to be anything but what it is. But I realized that if you work with your hair's strengths instead of against them you will love your hair too.

Getting layers no longer interests me, because I enjoy the way the weight of it sways these days. The layers would also interfere with hairstyles for me. When I get the time I will add some new pictures to my album like the others here.

Thanks again everyone!

Karala
October 8th, 2010, 07:56 AM
You don't need a haircut! What you really need is new hairtoys. Shiny new ones which you can't wait to use in your hair. Try out new styles. New buns. Different braids. Try herbal rinses. Vinegar rinses. Coconut oil. Jojoba oil. Lightening your hair with honey. Or darkening it with henndigo. Go for months without washing. Or washing with only water. Or washing with only conditioner. Buy a new brush. Try a new comb. Take a picture of your hair everyday. Measure your hair everyday. There's so many things to do to with hair that length.

Surf the forums, be inspired by all the experiments, home treatments and hair toys. You'll find that 24 hours is not even enough to finish your search about some new toy or rinse that got you interested. Enjoy!

YES! Exactly what I was thinking reading through this thread.
I'm glad that you didn't chop it off after all, it's gorgeous!!

DarkChocolate
October 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I can now see your pictures:) I am glad that you left it the way it was:) Your hair is breathtaking:) It is so shiny and thick too:)

LocustSpawning
October 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Noooooo!
I would absolutely kill for that hair! I can almost promise that you'll regret it soon after if you do decide to chop it off, people always seem to :( All that dedication! And it looks gorgeous too.

Eire
October 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Your hair is pretty, but if you want a change:

Maybe trim it to about hip length, with a U shaped hemline and some subtle layering for body? I think such a cut would be gorgeous with your texture hair.

If you don't like it, you could always cut more afterward, but it's worth a shot right? :)

Katharina
October 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
hi,

I know this thread i old but I HAVE to tell you that you are really pretty! Your hair is fantastic... and your face, too. You can put on any make up you like, it will make you look different. You can curl your hair, wear a bun, wear a braid, wear hairtoys - everything.

And be sure: shorter hair will soon enough bore you, too ;)

be nice to yourself :)

BrightEyes7
October 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
NO!!!!! AHHHHHH!

Don't cut!! It is soooo beautiful! I found anytime I get much past waist I'm not really happy with it. Maybe try cutting back to the length you remember that you still liked your long hair...

Just think about it.... I'd hate for you to regret the CHOP!

Cowgirl16
October 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Take care
MissMB

I am so happy that 1.)you didn't cut your hair, and 2.)YOU are happy with your hair. I think at one time or another we all go through the "ok my hair is long now what?" stage. I actually thought of cutting my hair (before LHC). I weighed the pros and cons and like you decided not to cut. I don't know if I'll ever cut my hair, there are so many more ways to wear your hair when it is long.
Your hair is beautiful and so are you.:D

p.s. so glad no layers either:cheer:

jeanniet
October 15th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Your hair is really beautiful. I would be really careful in considering what to do--remember that with short hair, the options for styling are very limited. You won't be able to do buns, or much in the way of braiding. I would instead look at ways to change your look without losing much length. I think face-framing layers might be a great choice, or cutting back a few inches (to waist or so) to see how you feel about having it shorter. I wouldn't cut back as short as shoulder or APL unless you're sure you won't regret it.

Annalouise
October 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! So I don't think you should cut it off. But I will say that I share your temptation to cut. Sometimes I feel so drab with my hair long and one length. My husband hates it when I braid it. And when I bun it it pulls on my scalp. And when its down it gets in the way. And I love bobs and bangs and so sometimes I just really want to cut off my hair and have something stylish and easy to manage.

So I hear ya. But I will say that we would probably both regret it if we cut it. And then it would take 5 years to get it back. Thats a hellofa long time.

So I always tell myself that the urge to cut will pass. And usually if I wash my hair and make it so that I like it then I don't have such an urge to cut it. I usually want to cut it when it looks bad or is inconvenient.

But I have people tell me ALL THE TIME, that my face is small or long and I REALLY need some bangs or layers.

They act like I NEED bangs like I need water and fresh air.

I don't know? Maybe one day I will get bangs and then wash my hair daily (I have an oily complexion too). Or maybe one day I will get layers. Would it be so bad if I did? Not really.

You can always go and grow it back but don't do anything drastic. Just do a little change if you feel you have to. Or bite the bullet and keep growing it.

Honestly, your hair is really pretty even if you don't always appreciate it.:) I don't think it would be the end of the world if you got bangs or layers.

MissMB
October 17th, 2010, 01:16 PM
@jeanniet
I gotta agree with you, short hair is quite limited as far as updos and braids go. But maybe it makes up for that with its great convenience. :) Anyway, thank you for the comment - I really just needed to get some hair toys and try new things. I am loving my hair again! And yes, it's very smart to cut a few inches and see how you feel about it first.

@Annalouise
Thank you very much! I was having the same scalp pain too until I started using hair sticks. Even then sometimes I have to redo it. I agree with you on sometimes wanting a stylish short cut. Hey, let me teach you my mistake from one oily complexion girl to another - do not convince yourself you love bangs enough to wash them every day if you know darn well you won't want to! What I'm trying to say is don't lie to yourself on how much maintenance you're willing to do. (If you are really cut out for it though then please don't listen to me).
Oh my god, I am so sick of hearing about my long face too!! They really do act like that. Some people think I have a big flashing sign above my head that says "My long hair is taboo please instruct me on my life since I'm obviously doing it wrong." Then I have a perfect stranger order me to never cut it ever. Lol!

Niwa
October 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I had this urge once I hit waist length. I experimented with my hair for a year, coloring it, having it layered, and trying new styles. After about a year, I found that my interest in my hair came back and I am very glad I did not cut it. Now, I have a new goal to be excited about: growing my hair out to its terminal length.

I am glad you did not end up cutting your hair. Hair boredom happens, but it passes.

Spike
October 19th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I wore my hair long (with a couple of big chops, but none that lasted more than a few months) for thirty-odd years.

I cut my hair short when I was planning to buy a convertible. I kept it short for . . . three, four years before deciding to let it grow again. So I've seen both sides of the long hair/short hair issue.

Short hair stays out of your face and food. Short hair doesn't tangle.

Short hair requires frequent trims/cuts to keep the shape, and often needs product to make it stand up or lie flat.

If your short hair won't cooperate with the style on that day, your options for covering are limited. I've seen baseball caps with "Bad Hair Day" emblazoned on them in rhinestones. Cute!

Long hair worn up stays out of your face and food, doesn't tangle, doesn't require frequent trims and heavy use of tools and product to make it look "right." If my hair won't bun one way on a given morning, I can braid it or try another bun.

I'm glad I chopped this last time . . . but I think it's going to be THE LAST TIME. I just haven't found a compelling reason to go short again.

d1angel
October 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I just wanted you to know - I have a 9 year old daughter with beautiful, BSL, stick straight, glossy hair. When she saw your pictures, she gasped and said, "I WANT MY HAIR TO LOOK LIKE THAT! That's so beautiful!"