PDA

View Full Version : Shedding!

Eireann
May 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Since joining LHC, I have been finger combing my hair while it's wet to minimize damage, and I've been noticing a LOT of shedding. I don't know if it's more than before, or I just notice it more because it's in my fingers instead of a brush or comb, but it seems like quite a lot. Could this be a seasonal thing? :eek:

<She>
May 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
It may be a seasonal thing, but it may be that when you finger-comb wet hair, the strands kind of stick to the fingers and that pulls them out. I don't know for sure, it seems to me that because the cuticules of the strand are not laying flat when it's wet, they somehow catch up on the surface of the skin and either fuzz up, break or fall off the root. I have concluded it from my finger-combing.
Were you always doing this kind of combing before you joined here? Sometimes when we want to minimize damage and do things differently, unknowingly, we still do damage.

boukje
May 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have a massive shedding at the moment, it started two days after the weather became real hot here. I am not sure if it is related but it looks like it (I had a massive shed last year during hot weather as well :()

twilight
May 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM
i don't know about the weather where you are, but it's pretty hot/humid here and oddly enough i've noticed a drastic reduction in shedding since i stopped using store-bought shampoo. (i've been using shampoo bars instead.) maybe you want to try that if you don't already?

i'm sure someone has addressed this 1000 times before, but i just thought i'd share.

OhioLisa
May 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
It could be a combination of the season, and you just noticing it more because its in your hand rather than in the brush or comb or falling onto the floor. Just double check to see that there is a root and all on the end of the hair. If the hair was ready to fall out anyway, there will be a little bulb on the end. If not, you might be finger combing a bit too rough and are accidentally pulling the hairs out before they are ready to. That being said, a lot of people have seasonal sheds, so just keep an eye on it, but don't sweat it too much.

frizzinator
May 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Have you tried waiting until it is dry before fingercombing?

chrissy-b
May 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I think it's probably a seasonal thing. I've noticed an increase in my shedding in the last few weeks. Also, you may have been shedding the same amount prior to finger combing (if you were brushing and combing a lot before you started finger combing) but didn't notice because the hairs were stuck in your brush. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're losing a lot of hairs or if the shed rate increases.

Leisa
May 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hi:) Conditioner makes me shed.

granitbaby
May 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I second the seasonal shedding.
May is always the worst shedding month for me. It feels like I'm loosing tons of hair but when I measure my thickness it isn't really noticeable.