PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Massage and Low Manipulation

Jammy
June 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have been getting/giving myself daily scalp massages which help with growth/shedding/FEEL GREAT but I just realized; couldn't the constant ruffling and rubbing of my hair be just as bad for it as excessive brushing?

I guess the problem lies in the fact that I have short hair, and its not just the scalp that's getting a workout. My hair's about 4" long and gets quite roughed up from vigorous massages!

Could you be messing with the cuticle or damaging your hair in any way with these massages?!

:eek:
<paranoid/>

McFearless
June 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Yes unfortunately.. and thats why I stopped. My hair got so tangled even when I was careful

Kalyca
June 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I don't think you're supposed to rough your hair up when you're doing a scalp massage. you are supposed to use the pads of your fingers in a way that massages the scalp only, and not the hair itself. not really sure of any other way to explain it but when you're massaging, you can feel the skin on your scalp kind of moving i guess?.. eh

McFearless
June 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I don't think you're supposed to rough your hair up when you're doing a scalp massage. you are supposed to use the pads of your fingers in a way that massages the scalp only, and not the hair itself. not really sure of any other way to explain it but when you're massaging, you can feel the skin on your scalp kind of moving i guess?.. eh

You mean you're not supposed to move your fingers across your scalp... but instead keep your fingers in place and move your skin back and forth?

Sammybunny711
June 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I have pixie hair but still massage my scalp. I agree with Kalyca that you are supposed to feel your scalp move and use the pads of your fingers without disturbing the hair too much.

Aurantia
June 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
You mean you're not supposed to move your fingers across your scalp... but instead keep your fingers in place and move your skin back and forth?

Yes and no. A scalp massage should be possible even with your hair up (I'm not saying your style will stay perfectly, nor recommending this as an all-over technique but the mussing should be minimal and will not pull strands loose).

The movements are localized and tiny: the motion of your fingers in one place should be less than a centimeter and focused on light pressure and stimulation. Your skin will move slightly.

Kalyca
June 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM
yeah! that's exactly what I mean, thanks :cheese:

sarah061
June 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Ooh, turns out I've been doing scalp massages wrong! Thanks for the tips everyone :)

melikai
June 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
There are different ways of doing it, but think of it like a regular massage on your skin - you don't really rake the fingers over the skin, but you press inwards and massage the area you're pressing in a circular motion (I know there are many different types of massage, but this is what most people think of and do). You can also just press and hold, like a pressure point massage.

If you're being too vigorous and doing it often, I imagine you could cause damage over time. A gentle massage with just your fingertips massaging the scalp should suffice. If you want to reduce friction you could use some oil on your scalp too.

Pandora.
June 17th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Some people just tip their head upside down from time to time, as this creates blood flow to the scalp as well. I don't know if this would be as effective as scalp massaging, though.

dayonea
June 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM
On the weekend I had my head massaged by a Chinese man doing eastern massage at a fair I went too :hollie: It cost me $10 for 15 minutes of amazing joy!!! He used his fingers and also his fore arm to sort of roll over my head, it just felt incredible. I made my other half wait close by incase I felt uncomfortable cause I don't normally like people touching me but it didn't worry me at all. The man was very nice but his hands smelt like rubbing alcohol:puke: but it was worth it. I know I will never be able to do it as well as that.

crazy_margaret
June 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I guess I have been doing it all wrong as well! Well now I know to not rub the hair and scalp but to kneed my head. :)

Purdy Bear
June 17th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Theres a couple of ways I can think of overcoming this.

Dont massage on top of the hair, comb your fingers through the hair until the pads touch the scalp and just move the top of the fingers. When you want to move repeat from the beginning.

The other way is to part the hair and then do the massage down the parting.