PDA

View Full Version : hair extensions - links

dropinthebucket
June 16th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Several people have asked me for the link on human rights organizations fighting the use of human hair for extensions. As some of you may know, I teach aesthetics theory, fashion, and popular culture at the university level and have had several students do research papers on this subject. I'm slowly reconstructing my database of links after a hard drive crash (at least I have a new laptop now! yeah!). I will send each of you who has asked me for it the full list once I have it re-collected.

In the meantime, here is one link to get you started. A pop star visits a temple in India and discovers where the hair actually comes from.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1036155/Why-Ill-wear-hair-extensions-pop-star-Jamelia.html

x0h_bother
June 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Interesting comments from women who actually live in India and practice.

Jammy
June 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Eye opening. I too was guilty of ignorance when it comes to hair extensions. Though I have never worn them myself I never thought of it as something to be concerned about.

Thanks so much for posting this, I know a lot of people who would be shocked to hear this.

Kome
June 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
This is really sad. I had to post it to my Facebook so that other people can see. Thank you for sharing this.

Fethenwen
June 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this. This actually doesn't surprise me at all :( Such a typical exploitation of the poor.