PDA

View Full Version : Porous hair advice

wendyg
May 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
A friend of mine stayed overnight at my house last night, and therefore I saw her comb her hair this morning. It was an astonishing sight: she has really pretty, smooth short (by our standards) hair (that is, just about shoulder length), and combing it took her probably about 10-15 minutes, during which time she made many very quick short strikes with a fine-toothed comb. She explained that her hair is horribly prone to knotting, and this is the only way she can comb it, and this is how she's done it for many, many years.

I said it ought to be possible to get her hair to be more cooperative than that given the right routine. She noted that her hair person has told her she has extremely porous hair - it's fine, but pretty thick. She also said that she has her hair highlighted (which I knew, although it's actually very skillfully done) and that that makes the problem considerably worse. She's not going to give up highlighting it - she likes the way it looks. She also, I think, is not going to attempt anything particularly long. But given that the way she has to comb it probably inflicts its own damage, I was wondering what might help with the porosity/knotting problem.

Perhaps someone here has grappled with the same thing?

wg

nappywomyn
May 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I'd suggest a ACV or citric acid rinse - or any sort of acidic treatment really.

Porosity is caused by the cuticles 'lifting up' a bit from the core of the hair strand. When an acidic wash is used, the cuticles 'constrict' and lay down smoother again, and when a 'basic' solution is used, they lift up.
All chemical treatments for hair are basic, so her highlights would definitely make the issue worse.

<She>
May 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I really don't know, other than the fact that she is combing her hair so damaging so actually that is causing the knotting? That kind of brushing or combing would most certainly damage any kind of hair, no exceptions, and not to mention fine hair.
Maybe even, that is the reason her hairperson told her her hair is porous and knot-prone, so she should handle it that way in order to look like it is just combed-out.
I don't know if this made any sense, sorry, but what I'm saying is that maybe the treatment is the cause? i.e. if she tries to comb it gentle and not so briefly, she won't need to continue with that damaging routine.

wendyg
May 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I did in fact suggest ACV to her, and she sounded interested, so she may try that.

Thanks.

wg

Nightshade
May 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I would also recommend a shea conditioning cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586&). That made a lot of difference to my damage, porous ends :)

Shermie Girl
May 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I am dealing with very porous hair, right now. I use a combo of a porosity control spray, (available at Sally) and a cone leave in. Redken Anti-Snap is my leave in of choice, right now. I conb out from the ends up, with a smooth, seamless wide tooth comb. Once my hair is combed smooth, I don't comb or mess with it while drying. These allow me to deal pretty easily with my porous, very tangle prone hair.

HTH a little :D

jojo
May 13th, 2008, 06:35 AM
maybe a protein treatment would help?

Melisande
May 13th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Coconut oil? My porous ends love dabur vatika oil (based on coconut) and also, of course, Fox' shea butter recipe.

Two of the best things I found to make hair stronger and smoother. If she uses it before she goes to sleep on a silk scarf... she will wake up with less tangles, I guess.

willowcandra
May 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
A friend of mine stayed overnight at my house last night, and therefore I saw her comb her hair this morning. It was an astonishing sight: she has really pretty, smooth short (by our standards) hair (that is, just about shoulder length), and combing it took her probably about 10-15 minutes, during which time she made many very quick short strikes with a fine-toothed comb. She explained that her hair is horribly prone to knotting, and this is the only way she can comb it, and this is how she's done it for many, many years.

I said it ought to be possible to get her hair to be more cooperative than that given the right routine. She noted that her hair person has told her she has extremely porous hair - it's fine, but pretty thick. She also said that she has her hair highlighted (which I knew, although it's actually very skillfully done) and that that makes the problem considerably worse. She's not going to give up highlighting it - she likes the way it looks. She also, I think, is not going to attempt anything particularly long. But given that the way she has to comb it probably inflicts its own damage, I was wondering what might help with the porosity/knotting problem.

Perhaps someone here has grappled with the same thing?

wg

I had shoulder length very bleached hair. it stuck like chewing gum when I washed it.

I used alot of conditioner and henna wax (a clear treatment available at sallys etc) It's amazing stuff for porous bleached hair.
Also coney serums too worked well.