PDA

View Full Version : How high above the split end should I cut?

MarlieJane
June 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm determined to get rid of these nasty split ends that are plaguing the bottom of my hair and the ends of all of the shorter layers in my hair. Yesterday I bought a brand new pair of scissors from Sally Beauty Supply and I am ready to go to work on my hair. I've used the search and destroy method before, but the hair scissors I was using weren't sharp enough and I think I was doing more harm than good.

How far above where the split stops is best to cut? I know that if I don't cut enough above the split and don't get all of the damaged area that the split ends will just come back. I've been googling and I've read numbers from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. What do you guys recommend?

moominhapa
June 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I think 1/8 of an inch is enough to get rid of the damage, but 1/4 is fine if you want to be extra sure. As long as your scissors are sharp, you're good.

Igor
June 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
For me, it depends on the size/type of split. If it’s a barely developed split, just out of the “white dot” stage, I snip just above it. If it’s a big “real” split, I snip about 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch above

Hana
June 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
personally, i like to snip a whole inch! but thats just me. I'm pretty ruthless (by some standards) when it comes to self-trimming.

also maybe its a little to do with the paranoia that i dont know how far up shaft the damage is. seeing as i still have a few inches of bleach left on my ends, i figure its probably better in the long run.