View Full Version : Where to buy coconut oil?

hemolymph
June 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I see people talk about coconut oil but I've never been able to find it in stores? What stores sell it and in what section?

jane53
June 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I bought mine at a natural foods store in the oils section.

Some here say they've been able to get it at Walmart or regular grocery stores, but I don't see it at such places around here.

Go to the food section rather than the hair care section!

In2wishin
June 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
If you have a large grocery you might be able to find it. Mine carries it with the popcorn. Otherwise a healthfood store. You can order it online too but if you just want to try it, Ebay has some sellers who sell 4oz for about $5 after shipping is added. Most health food stores will sell it for about $7-$10 for a 16 oz jar.

jeanniet
June 15th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Any natural foods store will have it. Whole Foods does, if you have those where you live. It would be in the foods section with the other oils. Spectrum Naturals and Nutiva are two common brands.

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I also get it at a local "health/natural" food store, in the same section as the vegetable / sunflower / canola / etc. cooking oils.

It took me a minute to find it, though -- I was looking for a "bottle of oil" but it's actually a white solid (like Crisco or shortening) that was sold in a jar with a wide-mouthed lid.

*Rose Red*
June 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I go to natural food stores, too, or I go to internet shops for natural cosmetics.

maybe sparrow
June 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I get mine in the grocery store next to the oils and baking supplies.

Crazycatlady
June 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I found mine at Wal-mart in the pharmacy section, of all places. It was near the vitamins. But they were discontinueing it so I got it for $7. But other stores may still have it.

hemolymph
June 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM
If it's solid then how do you get it in your hair?

missjessiecakes
June 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I get mine at walmart next to the vegetable oil in the baking section

jane53
June 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM

It melts very easily. You touch it and it liquifies. Here in the Alabama summer, it melts if the a.c. isn't cool enough.

It's not QUITE like Crisco! Touch it and it's a light oil.

missjessiecakes
June 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM

It melts if it gets a tad warm. You just scrape some out rub it in your palms and then you can either A)coat the ends of you hair or do what I do B)Use it like hair gel and get it all over your hair.

My scalp really finds it soothing so that is why I do option B

Gypsy
June 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM

when you get it in your hand, the heat from your skin will liquefy it.
That is something to remember when storing it, if you live in a warm climate.;)

In2wishin
June 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM
While we are on the subject: does anyone here use the 92 degree coconut oil? I'm trying to decide if I should get that or the 76 degree. If you do, what is the difference in your hair?

jane53
June 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
While we are on the subject: does anyone here use the 92 degree coconut oil? I'm trying to decide if I should get that or the 76 degree. If you do, what is the difference in your hair?

I had trouble finding ANY coconut oil! Didn't know about the degrees!

Here's what mine says on it:

Expeller Pressed
Organic
Virgin Coconut Oil
Unrefined
For medium heat
Up to 280 F

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
It's not QUITE like Crisco! Touch it and it's a light oil.

Doh! I guess I should have clarified that... it LOOKS like Crisco/shortening because it is a white-ish solid, but the consistency is not the same!!! :p

And as others have said, as soon as you scrape some out, it melts in your hand. I've actually had the stuff in the container melt just because the container was on my lap... and I didn't notice it and spilled some on myself when I moved it too quickly!

In2wishin
June 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I had trouble finding ANY coconut oil! Didn't know about the degrees!

The 92 degrees is still 100% pure coconut oil but is partially hydrogenated so it has a higher melt point. Generally it is preferred in tropical areas (for obvious reasons) and there is no difference between the two as far as soapmaking but I was curious if there is a difference in hair useage.

jeanniet
June 16th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I think in most places it would be softer or at least partially liquefied in the summer. It doesn't get that warm here, and my house is always pretty cool, so mine is usually solid. It will liquefy quickly with the warmth from your fingers.

Kome
June 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Woot! I've been meaning to ask this question as well. I'll have to get some here shortly. I'll probably need the higher melting temperature one as I live in Florida and it was 99 degree's yesterday with a heat index of 105. EWWWWW! I walked outside to go to class and thought I walked into the over instead. Blech.

GRU
June 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Woot! I've been meaning to ask this question as well. I'll have to get some here shortly. I'll probably need the higher melting temperature one as I live in Florida and it was 99 degree's yesterday with a heat index of 105. EWWWWW! I walked outside to go to class and thought I walked into the over instead. Blech.

It doesn't matter which "temperature" one you have -- it's going to melt once you put it in your hand anyway.

If you want it to remain a solid even when it's warm in your house, just store it in the fridge. I prefer it as a solid because it's easier to get just the right amount, whereas it's easy to pour too much with a liquid.

McFearless
June 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I buy mine from an asian grocery store. In the cooking oil section. Make sure its 100% pure coconut oli.

Deborah
June 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I usually get Nutiva organic from either Amazon or Vitamin Shoppe (online). I just ordered 58 ounces for $27.81 from Amazon yesterday (free shipping.)