PDA

View Full Version : Help Please?

rosycoco
June 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post EVER, so I hope I get it right! I am sorry if this has been covered before.

Firstly, I would like to say this site is great! I have learnt a lot here. :p

Ok, so the problem- I have been trying to grow my hair for about a year, and it is finally starting to feel swishy and longer. :D

However, I have recently got a red rash (sometimes itchy) on my back where my hair falls. It does not effect any other area, and only appeared as my hair grew.

I have tried creams and potions, sunbathing, changing my shampoo, and nothing helps. If I wear it up, it does get a little better but I don't really like it up.

I shampoo 3-4 times a week using a t-tree based shampoo, use conditioner on occasion, and oil my hair with coconut weekly. I also use a bristle brush before bed, and normally let it dry naturally. Unless I am in a rush!

Is it possible my hair is irritating my skin? CAN you be allergic to your own hair? Has anyone else experienced this?

I really feel nervous about going to the beach this summer, as it looks icky. Any advice/tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

dawnss
June 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I recommend you see a doctor and go from there. Good luck and I hope everything works out!

spidermom
June 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
You might be allergic to coconut oil. My daughter is.

rosycoco
June 15th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I saw him when it started and he had a bit of a "meh nothing serious" attitude.
He said it was just a few pimples and nothing to worry about.

I feel kinda bad going back again, when I am not actually sick. It is only for cosmetic reasons that I am worried. Vain thing that I am!

I will probably make an appointment though, I guess.

rosycoco
June 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I use coconut oil on the rest of my body and have no problems.

Nor do I have any skin complaints anywhere else. You can actually see how the rash is in relation to how my hair falls. Weird huh.

dropinthebucket
June 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Might also be irritation from excess oil. Soap might be drying and irritating, but you might try an herbal cream - calendula ointment is great for all kinds of skin issues. Or, you could try a combo. of rosemary (astringent) and marshmallow root (emollient) to both clean up and soothe the skin in a natural, healthy balance formula. If you go this route, you would just put them in the bottom of a tea ball or strainer and pour hot water over them to make a decoction, then use this as a wash two or three times a day for the affected area.

Tiina
June 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I think it still might be a reaction to shampoo. SLS allergy may start to show itself only after prolonged use. You should check if both your old and new shampoos contain any sulfates like SLS, ALS or SLES. If the shampoo is the problem, you could try washing with conditioner only or doing CWC.

Also, washing hair 3-4 times a week could be too much. Does your hair/scalp have any other problems?

rosycoco
June 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I will try the recommended herbs and see how it goes. My skin is quite sensitive and doesn't really like chemicals, so I normally am quite successful with natural methods.

I guess my shampoo may be harsh. I had a problem with flaky scalp and read that t-tree shampoo could help clear it up. I have been thinking about going CO, but have been too chicken.

I will cut out the shampoo and coconut oil for a few weeks, coupled with the herbal treatment and see how it goes. I shall be hitting the beach in no time!

Thanks for the tips everyone:)

TrudieCat
June 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
If it is warm where you are, then it might be a skin irritation due heat/moisture and your skin not "breathing" as well when your hair falls across your back. I know someone who gets something like what you are describing on his back in the summer, usually when his skin can't breathe properly if he's wearing layers. It's a minor fungal infection that can form more easily on some people when there is moisture that isn't wicking away from the skin properly (sounds gross, but it's no big deal & easy to treat). He uses a drug store anti-fungal cream and it goes away almost immediately. He also says that using Neutrogena T-Gel used as body wash works for this condition, if it is in fact the condition that you are describing. Maybe that could be it??

Purdy Bear
June 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
It may not be hair related. I get a rash like you describe and I dont have hair at the moment. Iv tried lots of creams etc., but they onlywork short term. The only thing Iv found works for me, is paying special attention to make sure its kept clean.

x0h_bother
June 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
You might be allergic to coconut oil. My daughter is.
Took the words right out of my err mouth. :)
But OP says she's not allergic to it anywhere else. It could be an allergy to a fragrance in a product. Look up your products on the Skin Deep cosmetic database. I had an eye make up allergy, which my dermotologist could not pinpoint with a skin allergy test, and so I paid him $500 for nothing. But this database really helped me avoid possible irritants. GL!

dawnss
June 15th, 2010, 10:50 AM
You could see a dermatologist. You know some people are allergic to the oil their hair produces. I don't know how to help you sorry.

rosycoco
June 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Wow, I guess there are a few possibilities.
I will see the doc and make sure I am ultra squeaky clean.
It is getting hot here actually, and I just came back from Morrocco where I think the heat exacerbated it.

Muchas gracias for the help everyone, sounds like I need a pro to check it out. No way am I cutting my hair now!

Peace and Love

BunnyBee
June 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
It could be dermographism (urticaria). It's basically your body 'overreacting' and releasing histamine when there is no allergen present. Do you get a rash or 'hives' when you scratch your skin lightly? Your hair might be irritating your skin as the ends scratch it. The treatment is antihistamines (such as hayfever tablets).