PDA

View Full Version : Cinnabun off-centre

chopandchange
June 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
My cinnabun will not settle in the right place. It looks like this:

http://my.picresize.com/vault/UM9KQZTNO1.jpg

I just can't get it to sit in the centre. I am right-handed, so this means I should start the twist more towards the left to counteract the whole thing coiling towards the right. Correct? But even when I do this, I can't get it right. Why not? What am I doing wrong? :(

Any tips?

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
You can shift where you start the original ponytail to the left, then it will end up more centered when you're done.

Heavenly Locks
June 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Are you maybe tilting your head itself when you are twisting?

Tiina
June 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Maybe the problem isn't where you start but that you move it when you pin it down?

teela1978
June 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Do you have layers or a lot of taper? I could see that making the first part of the first twist very large and making your bun somewhat lopsided. Maybe if you started the twist more to the top than from the side?

chopandchange
June 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Tilting my head! Aha! I never thought of that! I don't really know...

Yes, I do have layers, so that means I have a lot of taper, and the first part of the "sausage" is thicker than the end. I hadn't thought of that. I didn't think that would affect it. Edit: oh, I see what you mean, teela19178. Looking at my picture, I seem to be arranging the start of the twist towards the right. Do you mean it would work better if I pointed it towards the top?

I have just tried (yet again) starting the twist more towards the left, but I'm not sure if it's made much difference. I will go and take a photo/ check in the mirror to see...

GRU, I don't start from a ponytail. I like to make it without any hair ties, so it's just a twist.

rusika1
June 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Try coiling it in the direction opposite to the one you usually use.

I'm a lefty, and there are some buns that I have to reverse in order to center them.

ETA: Duh. Translation of the gibberish above: Twist and coil clockwise instead of counterclockwise. Or vice versa. Another thing to try--make your bun, then wiggle it into place before you pin it.

Cholera
June 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'm right-handed, with lots of layers, and I have to start my cinnabuns to the left. It didn't take long to get used to. :)

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
GRU, I don't start from a ponytail. I like to make it without any hair ties, so it's just a twist.

That's what I meant -- not necessarily a tied-off ponytail, but where you gather your hair to start the form the bun. Just shift that over to the left more when you start, and your end product should be centered.

teela1978
June 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I wore a cinnabun today and noticed it was off center. Apparently I have this problem and didn't even know it!!!

Yozhik
June 15th, 2010, 08:05 PM
chopandchange, I think your bun is charming slightly off-center :)

That said, I can see how it might be annoying to have it always on one side. I recently realized I have been accidentally centering my buns more to the left (I'm a lefty), so I followed GRU's advice, and just gathered my hair off to the right of my head -- this time, it came out dead center! Thanks for this thread and the suggestions!