PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hair down........ long hair

fairystar32
June 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I have noticed that most people with long hair appear to wear it up most of the time, I dont like mine up and usually wear it down, only when its hot and humid in the summer do i put it in a ponytail.
Surely I am not the only one?
anyone else keep their long hair down?

jane53
June 15th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I prefer to wear my hair down. I grew it to show it!

I've learned some good updos here at LHC. That's useful to me because I am in my 50s and work at a professional job, so sometimes it's good to wear it up. And I had gotten stuck in a rut of wearing a low ponytail every single day, so I like having the options of new styles.

However, I was surprised when I first came here to see that so many people wear their hair up ALL THE TIME!

Not me!

I like wearing it down!

bte
June 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM
There's every variation of person here.

One that I know always has his hair down is EdG.

For myself, I prefer to see hair in a style which shows at least most of the length, and I wouldn't wear a bun even if I had enough hair for one. A lot of those with very long hair wear it up for protection, which is certainly a consideration with tangles, splits, wear and tear to think of.

Capybara
June 15th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I wear my hair down whenever I want to :)

That being said, I like how I look with my hair up, so I do wear it up quite a bit as well.

eamane
June 15th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I wear my hair down sometimes, or maybe in a halfup like today. At work I have to put it up though so on my days off I enjoy the feel of my hair hanging loose.

Long_hair_guy
June 15th, 2010, 06:23 AM
When its cold and windy I prefer to have my down since it keeps the chill off my neck. In the summer I can't stand my hair being down since by the end of the day it looks messy and unkept.

fairystar32
June 15th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I am glad I am not the only one, Phew :)
I love my hair down and hate my round face so prefer it framing my face.
I find more friction on my hair when it is up and it doesnt really get many tangles unless I am at the beach and its windy..
I catch my hair in a ponytail, far more than when its down ...

thanks x

missmandy
June 15th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I grow my hair because I like the look of it! Down! So I have it down 99.9999999999999999999% of the time. (though that number is slowly decreasing due to me finally getting around to learning pretty updos. :D)

twilight_faerie
June 15th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I wear my hair half up far more often than I wear it completely down (my hair does this thing where it's almost completely straight except for a few random waves, and looks pretty stupid when it's down most of the time), but yeah, I don't think I'd like having my hair up every single day. I'm not the type of person to grow my hair long just so I can enjoy it by myself when I'm at home - I want other people to see it, too. (I don't mean that in a "look at me, my hair's so long!" way, I just want to be seen as a person with long hair...it's hard to explain.)

MsBubbles
June 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM
For me, I don't think I could even have long hair if I didn't wear it up half the time, because my hair is fine and fragile. But I prefer wearing it down.

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I mostly wear it down, probably 98% of the time, although I often end up doing the low ponytail or pulling the top back and fastening it with a claw clip just to keep it out of my way.

I'm starting nursing school in the fall, though, and I'm guessing that I'll have to have it up almost every day for clinicals, so I'm trying to get into the habit of wearing it fully up once a week right now. (It's up today, in fact.)

punkcatknitter
June 15th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I wear my hair half up far more often than I wear it completely down (my hair does this thing where it's almost completely straight except for a few random waves, and looks pretty stupid when it's down most of the time), but yeah, I don't think I'd like having my hair up every single day. I'm not the type of person to grow my hair long just so I can enjoy it by myself when I'm at home - I want other people to see it, too. (I don't mean that in a "look at me, my hair's so long!" way, I just want to be seen as a person with long hair...it's hard to explain.)

I sorta know what you mean, at home there's no one to see my hair so I put it up to keep it out of my way (and it's not even that long yet!). But I love to wear it down when I go out because I love it! That being said, I've mostly worn my hair up until a couple months ago. I hate my hair at the growing out stage between chin and BSL (one of the reasons its taken me this long to finally decide to grow it out again) so I kept it up in a bun or a ponytail most of the time during the past year or so. So when I finally started wearing it down, people couldn't believe how long it was! My sister in law thought I got extensions. :D

EdG
June 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I only wear my hair loose. It's not a problem as long as the weather is not windy. :)
Ed

SlightlySoprano
June 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
When I had my hair long before my big chop in May i wore it down practically every day, and when it wasn't down it usually was just in a single braid, so it was still technically "down"!

Now that it's short and constantly in my face, that's a different story. I MISS wearing it down every day!

teela1978
June 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Mine goes up and down throughout the day. I always have a hairstick or fork or ponytail holder with me. It usually starts down (because its chillier in the morning) and then gets put up depending on what I'm doing. I work in a lab, so if I'm working with chemicals it generally gets put up. If the sun is shining in my office and its hot my hair is up. If the sun isn't shining in my office and its cold my hair is down. If I'm walking around and its windy, my hair is up, etc...

Sometimes its put in a braid, but not very often. Usually it just goes up and down all day.

Stephichan
June 15th, 2010, 08:50 AM
When my hair was "long" (before my impulsive nature took over :() I wore it up a lot. It was easy to wake up in the morning and just throw it into a braid or a bun. I was also shooting for some benign neglect to help me along with the growing. I loved wearing my hair down, but it did tangle fairly easily. Not to mention that I was so happy to be able to do some updos that I just had to show them off :D

Loreley
June 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I wear it up almost all the time. I'm affraid wearing it down often would cause a lot of demage. I'm growing out dye demage and it's very fragile. I prefer wearing it down, though, but I do it only once a week and on special occasions. When I'll reach my goal, I'll wear it down more often, I think.

fisher2
June 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM
i used to wear it down or in a ponytail but in the last 2 days its been braided

princessp
June 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I mostly wear mine up too. I love it down, but it is very unruly. I like to go for the 1/2 up/down look sometimes too especially during those times when I'm wearing it up so much it becomes sort of stale.

ETA: I also notice I get more unwanted attention from certain kinds of men (jerky ones) when my hair is down, so as bad as this sounds I have learned to use my updos as a kind of "don't mess with me" barrier. Back off! I have hairsticks and I know how to use them!

tyrant1100
June 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I wear mine down at least once or twice a week to give my scalp a "break". I also usually wear it down or only half up for formal occasions. I prefer it up most of the time due to the fact that I've always been a bad shedder and I'm sure folks would appreciate that I keep my hairs out of food and off furnature. My hair also damages/tangles easily and NM is very windy.

heidihug
June 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Here are links to a couple of threads where this has been discussed quite extensively:

Do you regularly wear your hair up or down? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42648&highlight=wear+hair)

Does anyone NOT wear their hair up? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17369&highlight=wear+hair)

I'd love to be able to wear my hair down, but it's pretty impractical, and sometimes downright dangerous to wear hair down at my length. Plus, all the friction, catching on things, wind ripping it around would cause way too much damage for me to wear it down more than once or twice a year.

HintOfMint
June 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM
As MsBubbles has said, I don't think I could have long, relatively undamaged hair if I didn't wear it up all the time. My hair doesn't just tangle--it mats.

jane53
June 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
My hair sustains more damage from updos than it does from being down. But I'm careful enough with it when putting it up that it's not prohibitive.

Medievalmaniac
June 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I wear my hair down on special occasions and when I am by myself at home, or when it is still drying, but I put it up at work so it stays out of my way, ditto at the gym, and also when I'm around my kids - they're young still and very physical, and if I left my hair down it would just be shredded by their antics - I'm their personal jungle gym. My thinking is, they're only this young once, my hair will be long as long as I choose for it to be - so I will gladly put it up now to tumble around, and then when they are older and not into physically mauling me as much, I'll wear it down more often. :)

Nera
June 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I love wearing my hair down, but i can not do it daily, it would mean I would have to cut terrible tangles out all the time. If it wouldn't tangle that crazy, i would wear it down all the time!

NorthernDancer
June 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think I'm about 50/50. I like wear my hair down, but sometimes (especially now that I'm waist length) it just gets in the way, or gets too hot. So then I'll throw it up into something, usually a bun or a braid. I really do like half-ups to keep it out of my face, but still down. That's what I'm wearing right now in fact.
I tend to sleep with it loose or braided. I think a braid keeps it in better shape, but I don't always want to take the time to do one right before bed.

In2wishin
June 15th, 2010, 11:09 AM
When at work I pull the top back and secure it with some kind of clip. If it is a really hot day, I will put it up.

In my non-working time I usually wear it down or the same "pull the top back" when I am out of the house. At home I generally just braid it in a single unsecured braid.

Angeletti
June 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
whenever I leave my house I prefer to have my hair down because I like the way I look with my hair down better and figure I might as well let it down because that's why I'm growing it out

HairColoredHair
June 15th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I have to wear my hair up at work (laboratory safety!) and when I'm doing house work or yard work (icky yuck, plus I step on it if I kneel down)... so I've just gotten used to it up. I take it down and leave it loose as a guilty pleasure and to simply enjoy it. Occasionally I'll wear it down (or mostly down) for special occasions. For example, for my roommate's wedding it will undoubtedly be down and curled (steam curlers), because she enjoys it when it's down (I think she's proud of it for some reason.) But beyond that I don't wear it down... it just bothers me when I do. (Like going out without makeup for people who tend to wear makeup.)

maybe sparrow
June 15th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Mine is nearly always up, or covered. If I wear it down, I feel like it looks messy.

JenniferNoel
June 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I love buns and braids. However, I love wearing my hair down more so. I grew it to wear it down, just because of the beautiful look of long, flowing hair. I don't mind the tangles. :)

luckyduck
June 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
My hair is almost always contained in some way, either in a bun type updo or in a braid. I am enjoying all the updos that have been posted here. The only time mine is down is when it is drying or sometimes while I sleep, though it is usually in a soft high bun or a braid even then.

It is just too hot to have it down, I still have occasional personal power surges.

Quixii
June 15th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I keep it in a ponytail most of the time. You can still see the length but it's not in my face.
If I want to wear it down, though, I don't stop myself from doing so. I can't bring myself to be so concerned about damage I can't enjoy my hair as it is.

ButterCup02
June 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I wear mine down quite a bit :) It's up for excercise or horseback riding (up or braided), but for everyday stuff (Work in an office, hanging out around home, when we go out) I usually keep it down. I love my hair down and that's why I'm growing it, so it's worth it to me :) I am careful with it like I said, and it's up if I'm doing anything that could hurt it.

SlightlySoprano
June 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I feel like I did more damage wearing it up all the time (tension alopecia) and it doesn't get too terribly knotty when it's down... but the longest i've had it in a long time was BSL...

Charlotte:)
June 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I leave mine down most of the time unless it's greasy or I'm doing something where I need it out of my face. I like leaving it down in snake waves, because people tell me I have princess hair :)

TXbarbie
June 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
It depends. When I'm in class, I'll wear my hair up because I don't want my hair to get stuck in my school bag's straps. When I'm with friends or at work, I alwayssss have my hair down. I feel like it's up only 5% of the time. So you're definitely not alone :D

Igraine
June 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I've worn it today down for the first time in aaaaages. A colleague didn't recognize me from behind :D. Surprisingly long, heavy and slippery as it is (thank you henna!), it did not tangle badly even in the mild wind. But it will still stay as a special occasion....

Lilacs
June 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I usually wear it down everyday, except for the occasional ballet bun, until recently since I have found so many wonderful long hair hairstyles :)

Fiferstone
June 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I go in phases, I prefer to have it down, but now that it's just at tailbone it gets into stuff more readily and has always tangled easily, so it's mostly up or braided. The long horsetail keeps it out of my face but if I don't comb it out periodically during the day I have the beginnings of mats. My compromise is that it's up at work, up whenever I'm doing anything that could be damaging, and down when I'm home and not doing active. For example, I'd typically have my hair down while reading LHC but haven't gotten round to taking it down yet.

lastnite
June 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
After my hair passes bar strap and gets to waist length and longer, it's hard to wear down. Since it's fine it will just hang flat and not really look good. Plus the tangles and it gets caught in things, and what do you do when it's windy? If you hair is long enough it can blow in someone's face or worse places :lol: It also gets caught in seatbelts, car doors, purses, etc...

I'll have to read the other threads posted..maybe there are some tips for wearing it down?

Schefflera
June 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I used to keep my hair in a ponytail most of the time, but I'd cut it back when it got to waist-length because it started snagging in things. If I'm mostly going with ponytail/loose, I can run from just past the shoulders to just above the waist without a great deal of practical difference. The past few years, I've been wearing it up, experimenting a little with updos, and trying to see how long it'll go, but I'm considering whether I'd rather cut back and maintain it just above the waist for a while -- it's a convenient length for me because it's easier to wear down and (I think) small enough for a French twist and big enough for a halfway respectable bun. Plus, it might grow out better the next time if I'm nicer to the ends and canopy....

jane53
June 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I have a boar bristle brush in my home, in my purse, and in my office.

I brush my hair when I wear it down. Not obsessively and not publicly, but I don't let it get snarled or tangled or matted!

I've been wearing it up with new styles learned here at LHC, so today and yesterday were the first days in a row I've worn in down in a while and I kept track of how much I had to tidy it. Not much, as it turns out.

Yesterday, I had the front and sides back in a small Flexi-8 and the rest hanging down. Today, I had it in a long, free ponytail.

I brushed it quickly in my office before I went in to teach class.

Three or four hours later, I brushed it lightly and quickly before I went over to get lunch.

It was breezy on the way back from lunch, so I brushed it lightly when I visited the rest room on the way back to my office.

Four or five hours later, I left the office and checked a mirror on the way out of the building and the hair looked fine.

I'm glad I have other style options and am happy to have learned the updos, but if I were only going to wear my hair up, I'd get it cut off and have a boy cut!

Jenn of Pence
June 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I really, really prefer to wear my hair down. First of all, I haven't had it much past BSL, so it hasn't been a hindrance. I hope to grow it longer and imagine that I will still like to wear it down. However, there may be a point where i find it necessary to wear it up more in order for it to not drive me crazy! :) I am also glad to know I'm not the only one who keeps it down most of the time.

Aliped
June 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I’m the opposite of you guys. I see your point, but I don’t really like my hair down …. It’s at an awkward length, in between BSL and waist, where it looks like a very large triangle with bangs. It’s just not flattering. I very rarely wear it down. I love braids and buns and hair sticks. My hair is for me. I also have family members that have a very strong dislike for long hair, so it’s just better for me not to flaunt it. The fact that updos are protective is just a bonus!

david
June 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I prefer to leave my hair down and only really put it up when I have to. Im of the opinion that I grew my hair long to be long not just tied up all the time.

PiroskaCicu
June 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I wear my hair down almost ALL of the time: ) I just love the feel of hair flowing freely, I mean that is the reason I wanted long hair in the first place. I do also wear up styles but I usually like to show the length with them (i.e. ponytails, long braids).

-simply Venus-
June 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Having long hair and wearing it up all the time makes no sense to me! It defeats the purpose of having long hair.

CherrySilver
June 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Here are links to a couple of threads where this has been discussed quite extensively:

I'd love to be able to wear my hair down, but it's pretty impractical, and sometimes downright dangerous to wear hair down at my length. Plus, all the friction, catching on things, wind ripping it around would cause way too much damage for me to wear it down more than once or twice a year.

I hear you, heidihug! I USED to wear my hair down all the time, too, but I've finally come to the slow realization that it's easier and less work detangling to wear it up, even at home. It feels so good when I do wear it down, but doing it for extended periods or going outside is just asking for trouble. Sigh....

Shadow Walker
June 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I always wear my hair down unless I'm at work, in which case I have it tied back. I like how it feels and looks when it's down.

fairystar32
June 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
thanks for ALL the replies ;)
Its great to see so many like me, I feel the same as most, I really dont see the point of having long hair if its tied back all time..
will check out the links too
thanks again xx

melikai
June 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I clip mine up in a messy bun if I'm doing gardening or work around the house, and if it's very hot outside, but otherwise it's almost always down.

I imagine if my hair was longer, say classic length, I'd have to wear it up most of the time.

slythwolf
June 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I like to wear my hair down, but it just isn't practical most of the time. I always at least put it in a braid or it gets tangled and/or into everything I'm doing.

viking_quest
June 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I wore my hair up all the time when it was shoulder to APL. Now that it's midback I want to show it off and wear it down all the time. I love how it looks and the feeling of it against my back. The only problem I have with wearing it down is it gets into my food when I eat, so I tend to ponytail it because I don't want to eat my hair.

gypsychild
June 16th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I wear my hair down all the time, and did when it was longer as well. It's the idea of "I took so long growing this, and no one can see it up!" as well as the fact I look better with my hair down.

Ash
June 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Mine is down when I am out somewhere. I keep it braided for work and bunned around the house but I prefer it down, it looks better that way.

CaityBear
June 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I would like to wear my hair down a lot, but it gets tangled sooo easily. :( I do enjoy wearing it down every now and then when I get the chance. :)

Angela_Rose
June 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'm another one for the Mostly Up camp. I'm currently encroaching on mid-thigh, so I prefer to have my hair up simply for practical reasons- if it's loose, I sit on the ends and then I can't move my head. Also, it gets caught on things and tangled in a stiff breeze, and people touch it. ::shudders:: I detest that. So usually my hair is in a bun, and I've actually been starting to cover it lately.

On the other side, though, I do *love* having my hair loose and down. It just doesn't get to come down very often, is all.

autumnsakura
June 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
It might just be my personality, but ever since I was little, I've strongly preferred to wear my hair up. I've had it pretty short before, but as soon as it got long enough to pull back, up it went. I don't like the feeling of it getting in the way and getting caught in chairs/straps/doors etc., and getting tangled in the wind. I also think my face looks better with it up. My friends disagree, but I have a short neck, and I feel that updos give the illusion of a longer neck, while wearing it down (at least to me) emphasizes my short neck. A lot of people have nice hair that flows and falls nicely over their face and shoulders, but my hair just *hangs* in an unattractive manner, and it reminds me of a hounddog's ears. I think updos are classy, and better for jobs and the like than wearing hair down.

As a natural redhead, I've always gotten *too much* attention for my hair ("is that your natural hair color?", "where'd you get that gorgeous color?", "I don't think your hair is natural because you have brown eyes, and redheads don't have brown eyes", etc). The comments increase dramatically when I wear it down, and that's another reason why I wear it up.

I do occasionally wear it down, but right now I'm desperately needing a trim to even things out, and I've misplaced my hair cutting scissors, so it will be a while before I let it all hang loose.

VitaR86
June 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I prefer to wear mine down. I don't like how my face looks with hair pulled back. :-(

Hedera
June 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I much prefer to wear my hair up; I think that is much more flattering to my face shape, I have a nice neck and strong jawbones that look much better that way.
It's also much more practical usually.

Besides, I don't really like how my hair looks when it's down; thin, flyaway, and it gets stringy really easily.

That's what I missed most when I had short hair; being able to wear it up!
When it's short, wearing it down is really the only option...

So, for me, 'the point' of having long hair is being able to do dozens of different, beautiful updos! :cheese:

squiggyflop
June 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM
i liked my hair down until i reached hip length.. then it was just annoying.. sure it looks great but it goes EVERYWHERE.. and tangles like crazy

sukhi_v1023
June 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Just a quick question to the ladies and gents who wear their hair down on a regular basis:

Do you have a special routine apart from CWC and/or oiling to keep your hair looking good down?

(In other words, how do you manage to have your hair look good when you leave it down?)

fairystar32
June 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I dont do anything to my hair, I dont oil it I am really lazy. It gets washed once or twice a week with natural shampoos and conditioners (no sls/ parabens or any other rubbish in )
and thats it, i just leave it, usually let it air dry or if its cold I hairdry it low heat. I finger brush it most of the time and get very little tangling. I do have splits but always have had them and S&D as well as trims every 4-6 mths keeps the ends fine.

It has grown much better since I stopped oiling it and using stuff on it and since I moved to Australia where I am a SAHM and dont have to tie it up anymore, my hair broke far more and tangled more when I had to have it tied up for work, since that stopped its grown really fast.

sukhi_v1023
June 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Wow. I have to say, your hair looks absolutely beautiful.

I'm trying to figure out a way to care for my hair so that I can just leave it down. I used to do the Curly Girl thing, but if I skipped washing my hair for even one day in between, I would find lots of product buildup on my hair and scalp, and unlike other ladies who subscribe to that method, I could NEVER EVER get a great look with second day hair.

I think I'm going to try CO washing on a regular basis, and see how that affects my hair. When I do my CWC, it usually doesn't dry down nicely, and even oiling it doesn't leave it looking good enough to wear down out of the house, and especially not at work.

And why is that important, you ask? Because I'm starting to get some really bad traction/tension alopecia, and I need to start leaving it down to let my hair settle.

Khiwanean
June 18th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I used to always wear mine down. I still love the feel of having it down and I think I also look better with it down (wearing it up emphasizes how long my neck is). But I've started wearing it in updos more to keep it out of the way and help it not get so tangled. I've learned to enjoy them. :) I might leave it down more once I reach my goal length, or I might not, we'll see when I get there.

Arniky
June 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi
usually wear it down but when required or hot wear it up, also does not gets noticed easily when up.

Jessikinz
June 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I love wearing my hair down! But only when I'm at home. When I'm outside of the house I must put it up. I know that when my hair returns back to hip length, I won't be able to wear it down as much. Besides, I don't mind how I look with my hair tied back. :) If I'm visiting people I'll let it loose as well, because I like the compliments I get.

jane53
June 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Just a quick question to the ladies and gents who wear their hair down on a regular basis:

Do you have a special routine apart from CWC and/or oiling to keep your hair looking good down?

(In other words, how do you manage to have your hair look good when you leave it down?)

I wear my hair down frequently. I don't oil it. It looks disgusting when I oil it.

I brush it a few times a day.

Looks fine.

*Aoife*
June 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM

I CO which makes my hair silkier and less fly-away-ish. I only wear it down when I'm rocking proper waves/curls. The ends have to be oiled otherwise they tangle like mad. And I have to be so careful combing it out afterwards.

Jessikinz
June 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Having long hair and wearing it up all the time makes no sense to me! It defeats the purpose of having long hair.

It's about personal preference. Some people like to wear their long hair down and others like it up. Makes sense to me. :) I don't see how that defeats the purpose of having long hair. Some people don't like to show off their lengths except to certain people. There are so many reasons why other longhairs keep theirs up.

I love the way mine feels against my back! It's like having my own blanket that I can grow. Haha if that made any sense. :p

spidermom
June 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I find it quite amusing how threads about wearing long hair down and showing it off run alongside threads about people criticizing long hair and saying "you should cut it." So who exactly are we showing our hair off to? Critics - that's who.

Since I work at home on the computer, I can wear my hair down whenever I want to and it's not really in the way as long as I'm sitting here. However, when I go into the kitchen, I have to put it up or risk getting a 3-foot hair in my food or on the countertop. Plus my hair is light and kind of floats around and grabs stuff, like the crack between the wall and the light switch cover. That's a rude head's up, I tell you! So it's far better to wear it up most of the time. I let it down when I have the time to enjoy it and watch out for it. Plus I like having the transition of letting my hair down at the end of my work day. It's relaxing.

Longlocks3
June 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I work in a profession where I can't wear my almost 4 foot long hair down. Don't want to choke the patients out, you know. So I have to wear it up for work. And for school it's also in the way of my activities I'm required to do. I wear it up a lot, IN PUBLIC.

At home, I wear it down for me and DBF. People just don't usually get to see it. Plus when I wear it down in public, I'm much more likely to get suggestions for cutting. I'd rather just have a pleasant day than have to tell a rude person to shut up.

Witchy
June 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I don't think I've ever worn my hair in a bun, and only a handful of times I've ponytailed it.

I like to show my hair off and wear it down like a mane, its very flattering for face and personality.

Jezerellica
June 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I love the feel of my hair down. It gets in things as you know, like cooking and general wear and tear. So I end up wearing my hair up to protect it more than I like. I always sleep with it free.

I really need to post a pic, but I am computer illiterate. I have a pics but am clueless how to get them up on the site. Sigh! LOL!

Jezerellica
June 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Wrong place, sorry! = )

Fethenwen
June 21st, 2010, 06:15 AM
I have finally started to appreciate how I look with my hair down :)
Before, I sort of thought that long hair emphasizes my jaw and makes me look like a witch! But now I think the opposite, it actually softens my features, mostly due to the fact that I always wear it down with waves. I tend to look horrible with dead straight hair though.

Shield31
June 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
Count me as a hair down person. Around the house, sleeping at night and more and more around town doing errands and just being out and about. It's a freedom thing for me. And there is much interaction too. My hair lets me know when the weather is warm and humid. The wind also works with my hair to provide feedback as to strength and direction. And now that it is long enough to get caught in various snares, I have an even better relationship with it. If I treat it with care and respect, it provides me with satisfaction and pleasure.

sukhi_v1023
June 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Thank you guys for your suggestions.

Aoife, I've also started CO washing my hair on a regular basis, and I can see the difference already. My hair doesn't have as many fly-aways and it looks great down in its natural form. Well, as great as it has ever looked. :-)

I'm loving my waves, and the way my hair flows. It's awesome! Woo hoo!

GRU
June 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM
Thank you guys for your suggestions.

Aoife, I've also started CO washing my hair on a regular basis, and I can see the difference already. My hair doesn't have as many fly-aways and it looks great down in its natural form. Well, as great as it has ever looked. :-)

I'm loving my waves, and the way my hair flows. It's awesome! Woo hoo!

Welcome to The Dark Side of the hair world... :luke:

Someone will have to teach you The Secret Dance one of these days! :taz::waltz::wethree::hollie::cheese:

GeoJ
June 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM
I used to wear mine down all the time, until after I passed waist length. The longer it got the more I wore it up. Now (fingertip length) I only wear it down for special occassions.

dancingbarefoot
June 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
I used to wear mine down all the time, until after I passed waist length. The longer it got the more I wore it up.

Same here. In the US, I biked to work/campus, so I didn't wear it down very often. Now I'm in Paris, where I'm leery of loose hair getting caught in metro doors, escalators, etc. (Not to mention that I don't want it accidentally brushing the steps when I go up or down stairs - the Paris metro is seriously dirty - yuck!)

Dolly
June 25th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I wear mine down most of the time, except when it is hot and sticky or I need it out of my way. I feel like I want to show it off, so I want to leave it down to do so!

Ella Menneau P.
June 25th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Mine is finally long enough (hip at the moment) that I can do some of the really cool poufy hair styles like the renaissance bun and the odango (sp?). I love wearing it down, too. This length seems so much more versatile than BSL.

jane53
June 25th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I like hip length too.

wormwood9
June 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
i always wear it down!
it's such a great feeling, to feel the hair on my back :D

RachelRain
June 25th, 2010, 07:16 AM
mine is usually down, except for when I get out of the shower. I notice it's easiest to brush then, so I'll brush it over one shoulder really quickly before I squeeze any water out, and then braid it while it's still soaked. Once it's tied off I'll squish it as much as I can.

the only time it really seems to be up is when I'm at my mom's. she can't understand why I keep it long, because she couldn't handle hers anymore, but she likes to play with it all the same, so she'll braid it and do all kinds of weird stuff to it. She even used to dye it for me, when I wasn't all lazy and used to keep it dyed paprika red. :)

ETA - I should add that I'm usually up nights, and that's when I take a shower, so usually as soon as it stops dripping (maybe four hours later?) I'll take it out. As it dries it frizzes up and that drives me nuts, so it doesn't stay in very long after I catch a glimpse of it in the mirror.

tofuowl
June 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I used to wear my hair down all the time when it was still BSL. Now, it's about hip length, but pretty "fairytale-ended." I guess I just feel more comfortable braiding it while the edges catch up, because I'm reluctant to cut across and lose the length :P

Now that I've been braiding it frequently for a while, I think I might just prefer the braids to wearing it down anyway! They're definitely more convenient (no more shutting my hair in the car door by accident >.<; )

MuzicalH3rb
June 25th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I love wearing it down, but I don't like it in my face when it's hot outside. So, it really depends on the weather for me.

PhillyGirl1978@
June 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I wear mine down most of the time...I keep a clip in my purse to do a peacock twist when I eat or when it just starts to bother me..but it's down most of the time....even when I think I (as a whole) look better when I put it up.lol

ericthegreat
June 25th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I love wearing my hair down too most of the time as you guys can tell from my pics. I figure why hide it, if I've got all this beautiful length I'm going to show it off.

And even my up styles tend to reveal my hair length. I like to wear my hair in both low and high ponytails, or one single braid tied at the back. Only if I'm really not in the mood to deal with my hair do I twist it up into a casual bun.

klcqtee
June 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Well, I wear it up 95&#37; of the time with, but that's with certain...exceptions. I keep my hair down when I sleep, and just lay it over my pillow. I also keep my hair down while it's drying. But any time I' awake, it's generally up. It flatters my face more with it up, but guys tend to prefer it down (what can I say? I'm a teenager!), as do I. If it's down, I usually put it in a half up.

ButterCream
June 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I wear it up 99,99 % of the time, mainly because I decided not to wear it down until it gets longer and my layers are closer to my ends than it is now and to protect it as much as I can while growing.
I will start to wear it down some, when my hair is more even.
Can`t wait for that to happen:cheese:

MementoMori
June 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I always wear my hair down. Partly because I like the feeling of my hair on my arms and partly because the only style I know how to do is the ponytail.

Dragon
June 29th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I normaly always wear my hair down. Have only worn it up once this year which was only for half the day.

UP Lisa
June 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I would love to wear mine down, but I rarely ever do except when it's drying. It just tangles too badley. Then I have to cut knots out of it because I can't get them out any other way. Oh! the joys of having baby-fine hair!

Debra83
June 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I prefer wearing my hair down, but I don't think it looks "nice" all the time like I see with the long hair ladies on here. Just recently read a thread about "tugging on the hair make it grow faster" and people were talking about ponytails can help to make it grow longer faster. I'm going to try that for July and see what happens. (I'll vary from braids to ponytails).

Stine
June 29th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I wear it up most of the times. Honestly I hope to get at a point, where most people don't know how long my hair really is...

And now since I know so many hair styles and hair toys, it is not going to get boring! :-)

I only wear it down when it is drying, when I am asleep, I am braiding it.

tinti
June 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I like my hair up, but I like it down as well. But since I'm in the Wear hair up challange, my hair stays up at all times, except for when I wash it. But when I don't have bangs I hate how big my forehead looks, all big and stuff, so then I just let some strands frame my face :) Anyways, I LOVE the messy updos, so when I'm at work it's either down or in a messy do, or bun :)

pineconejg
June 29th, 2010, 12:29 PM
The last time I had long hair, I wore it down a lot and would have to unmat it every night. It was awful. Of course, then I only knew shampoo and conditioner, and I blow-dried 5 or so times a week. Now I'd like to wear it down, but not until it is long enough to stay behind my shoulders. I do enjoy updos, though.

eresh
June 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I still enjoy wearing my hair down, but during the week it has to be up otherwise it is a risk at work (I work with animals)
At weekends or when I go out I wear it down, or in a ponytail.
But in public transport it's usually up (since I ran into a scary hairf* guy that followed me around)

Also it's fun making all kinds of updo's :-)

suncica
June 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I love to keep my hair down but because I wear hijab, I put it up whenever I go out. I just make sure I let it breathe while I get the chance at home :)