PDA

View Full Version : Pageant Dilemma

joiekimochi
June 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM
This is kinda an odd question...but I recently got into the finals of my country's Miss World pageant (meaning the winner will represent my country in this year's Miss World) and I was told that all the finalists have to have a "hair check". Mine is scheduled for this Saturday.

Apparently I can't opt out of it. I was told that we all will have to trim and color our hair according to the makeover team's vision, and that we cannot choose what we want (we can give suggestions but ultimately the style decision is theirs). Problem is, I don't intend to trim at all, and I had JUST dyed my hair back to black.

Most likely the stylist will laugh in my face if I just tell him/her to micro-trim and my hair is literally a mess of uneven, growing-out layers. I'm really scared and upset about having to cut the hair I had so painfully managed to grow out, or having to dye my hair again. I know it's inevitable but I just need some support right now. And some suggestions on how to tell the stylist that I really, really want my hair long and black even though it looks out-dated on an Asian girl.

I am 99% sure they will want to cut my hair to APL because I am the most petite finalist and one of the pageant trainers had said that the longer one's hair is, the shorter the person will appear visually. ARGH!

HintOfMint
June 15th, 2010, 03:03 AM
First off, congratulations! How exciting to make it to the finals!

Now, down to business. I'm really sorry to hear that they will be imposing a makeover on you. You're obviously a very beautiful girl to have made it, and I think it's silly to mess with a good thing.

You may have to part with your length, but I think there is a good argument to keep your hair black. Personally, I think a non-black color on an Asian woman (most likely not her natural color) is becoming pretty passe. Stylish Asian women have been dying their hair lighter for so long, that one could argue that it is more of a fashion-forward statement to keep one's natural black color. That, and it makes you look like a model of self-acceptance, presumably a good quality for a pageant contestant.

I am sorry to hear that you will probably have to cut your hair. Maybe you can convince them to chop it only to BSL? In any case, I'm sure you will still look lovely, and enjoy yourself through the pageant process. :flower:

Gothic Lolita
June 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Congratulations! What an honor to have the chance to represent your country!

I really understand your dilemma! ALthough I'm nowhere going to compete in a Miss Contest, I'm often told to cut my hair because I'm only 5'0'' and look eveb tinier.

Maybe you could suggest to you stylist to trim, if it is necessary, only to BSL and then set your hair into those really big loose waves. It would shorten your hair visually and also give you nice shine and body plus a luxurious styling. Especially with black/dark hair this looks pretty.
Do you habe to wear your entire hair down? You could also ask for a nice updo or half-up and strands of your hair could cascade out of it.
About the color: I'd ask if they could keep the hair black in general and if they really need to change it, only accentuate. Maybe with strands that get an extra bit of reddish shine, depending on your skin tone. Those would only shimmer reddish in certain light but you overall color would be uneffected.

Please post what they decide to do with your hair and of course eep us updated about the outcome!!!

Dreams_in_Pink
June 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I remember so many waist-length hair in beauty pageants, most of them being extensions. I hardly ever recall APL hair at all. It's true that they'll give you a hell of a trim, but i don't think it'd be because of length. They'll probably give you a "stylish cut" that includes layers and all.

Night_Kitten
June 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Congratulations on making it to the finals! :cheer:
As far as I know, in events like that 99% of the contestants have their hair between BSL and waist, wavy and in some sort of a half-up or loose, so I doubt they'll cut your hair any shorter than BSL...
As for the color - maybe they'll deside not to dye your hair as this color looks really good on you... I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

joiekimochi
June 15th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I remember so many waist-length hair in beauty pageants, most of them being extensions. I hardly ever recall APL hair at all. It's true that they'll give you a hell of a trim, but i don't think it'd be because of length. They'll probably give you a "stylish cut" that includes layers and all.

True, but most of those girls are like, really tall and statuesque so they can pull off the look. I'm only 5'2" and am the shortest in the pageant (I'm still surprised as to how I made it to the finals)...and methinks big hair on small me would dwarf me even further especially when I have to be next everyone else. I'm feeling kinda discouraged actually...

Hypnotica
June 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
True, but most of those girls are like, really tall and statuesque so they can pull off the look. I'm only 5'2" and am the shortest in the pageant (I'm still surprised as to how I made it to the finals)...and methinks big hair on small me would dwarf me even further especially when I have to be next everyone else. I'm feeling kinda discouraged actually...

Well, you always have the possibility to politely decline your spot?

Gothic Lolita
June 15th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I'd ask beforehand what they're planning to do and then tell them politely that you grow your hair out. As far as I remember all the Misses in the world have longer hair than the average woman. If they are styling your hair anyways, longer hair is better in my opinion since it gives more options to play with it.
You could also politely ask, if they could try out a style with your hair as it is now and then let them show you how your hair would be styled if they do trim it. Imho they should agree to do this. Of course, it is a beauty competition, but they shouldn't handle you like a doll to play dress-up with. As far as I remember, everytime I asked politely and told a stylist what and why I'd rather have my hair this or that way, they cooperated :)

And btw: I just looked at your albums. My, are you pretty! Your lovely face surely makes up for an inch or two. In my opinion, being small is cool. People often underestimate you but they are all the more surprised if you show them the real you!

SHELIAANN1969
June 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Well, you always have the possibility to politely decline your spot?

That's what I was going to suggest.

You can either do as they demand, or refuse their demands and drop out of the pageant.

I wish you well on whatever choice you make.

On the other hand, the stylist may offer something that will assist you in straightening out your layers and look better. You said yourself that your hair is a mess of uneven layers, I can understand the styling team wanting everyones hair to look impeccable for this event. No one wants to see unkempt or messy/uneven hair on a contestant.

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I think any number of updos would give you the visual of having short hair to complement your height, and updos look sooooooo elegant!

(I personally would refuse to compete in a competition that was telling me how to be me -- it was YOU -- just the way you are -- that made it into the finals, not something that they created in an image of their choosing! But that's just redheaded me... I tend to be more than a bit stubborn in most areas!)

I would go in with pictures of your hair in a bunch of different updos, to give them an idea of the versatility of your long hair. (Include pictures of the hairdos that got you into the finals, too!) And a half-up can give the illusion of short hair from the front too, for the visual effect they will be looking for.

I would also mention that really unnatural hair colors do not win the Miss World pageant.... and anything other than dark hair would look unnatural on you, IMO.

And major congrats! Getting to the finals in this pageant is a huge accomplishment!!!!

Tap Dancer
June 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Which is more important to you? Your hair or being in the pageant? That's what it boils down to. Sure, you can grow your hair again, but how do you feel about waiting years to get back to where you're at now? Is being in the pageant worth those years? Will you regret dropping out? Will you regret being in the pageant if you cut/dye your hair and lose? Only you can decide. :grouphug:

Cailie
June 15th, 2010, 08:11 AM
You'll make the right decision, but only you can decide the pros and the cons. I wish you the best of luck !

As for the "short hair" thing, I would propose a small trim, insist on keeping your black hair, and maybe suggest an updo that lets some hair fall out to the desired length. Maybe you can look like you have BSL hair (visually) without actually cutting to BSL ?

And congratulations ! You are really beautiful in your album pictures, I'm not surprised you made it this far

joiekimochi
June 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I've been wearing my hair in loose waves from pincurls with a little pouf pinned up in front to give the illusion of height!

I don't want to leave the pageant; true, it may take years to grow out my hair, but I will never be in a pageant ever again if I drop out now. The main reason why I joined was because I'm fast approaching the cut-off age and I don't want to miss the chance of doing something crazy and different while I'm still young. I guess even if I had to cut my hair and dye it, and then lose the pageant, I wouldn't regret it as much as dropping out halfway in order to keep my hair. It will hurt, of course, but while my hair will definitely grow longer, I will never ever grow any younger!

I'll try to convince the stylist to let me keep the length, and I guess neatening the layers would help somewhat. I just don't want to be a complete diva and be uncooperative. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

Chestershire
June 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM
ow, it's kinda painful to make that decision! I can imagine
But they'll probably dye your hair in a color that suits you best, so maybe they can make your hair even prettier! :)

naereid
June 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM
It must be a very difficult decision, but you'll still have a chance to grow your hair later, whereas you won't have the chance to become a miss world pageant later. ;) That's just pure cold logic talking, of course. When it comes to hair, emotions rule. :o

Maybe they won't cut it a lot, just give it some shape. I took a look for you through the winners since 2000 to note their hair lengths (kinda hard to find their pictures from the back - oh well!):
2009 - Kaiane Aldorino (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2009.jpg)
2008 - Ksenia Sukhinova (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2008.jpg)
2007 - Zhang Zilin (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2007.jpg)
2006 - Taťána Kuchařová (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2006.jpg)
2005 - Unnur Birna Vilhjálmsdóttir (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2005.jpg)
2004 - María Julia Mantilla (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2004.jpg)
2003 - Rosanna Davison (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2003.jpg)
2002 - Azra Akın (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2002.jpg)
2001 - Agbani Darego (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2001.jpg)
2000 - Priyanka Chopra (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/anthyh/LHC/miss/2000.jpg)Most of them range between waist and APL. Unnur's is the shortest at between SL and APL, I think. And we have two very neat updos in 2000 and 2001! And the 2009 picture is just chock full of long hair. :grnbiggri
As for the hair colour, the blondes look dyed to me. But both the chinese and indian winners seem to have long black, natural hair. So maybe there's still some hope for you, too. :)

joiekimochi
June 15th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Ohhh thank you so much for the pictures. I'm starting to doubt that they would make me part with my long hair, since it wouldn't make sense for a beauty pageant. At least it's not like ANTM and I won't have to do something crazy like shave my head bald.

spidermom
June 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Congratulations. If it were me, I'd do the pageant even if it meant sacrificing my hair because you can grow it out anytime, but you can't be in this pageant anytime.

GoddesJourney
June 15th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Usually, they leave the hair longer for pageant girls and do some kind of curls or waves to make it more formal. I'm going to give you just an honest opinion, I have never liked fake blonde or rather brassy coppery looking hair on Asian girls. There are a billion in the college town in which I live. It makes them look a dime a dozen to me. I feel like I can't tell them apart. Actually, there's a lot of that in this town. I feel like a lot of people can be put into categories in which they all look more or less the same to me. I always admire the girls who keep their color and have really beautiful natural hair because it looks shiny and beautiful. YOUR hair is beautiful the way it is. I think, if they are smart, they will just shape it for you and otherwise leave it alone. Large pageants are for classic style, not for fad hair cuts.

bahoban
June 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
first congratulations!!

they must learn to the beauty of long hair is nothing wrong in pageants!!!

just look the beautiful Aleksandra Ivanovskaya winner of the miss russia 2005,, with only 16yo!!

http://aleksandraivanovskaya.fansiter.com/pictures/single-braid-of-long-hair.jpg
http://aleksandraivanovskaya.fansiter.com/pictures/hair-past-butt-tight.jpg
http://aleksandraivanovskaya.fansiter.com/pictures/crowned4.jpg

bahoban
June 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
btw,, sorry for the BIG pictures, i didn't know they were so big, sorry

nowxisxforever
June 16th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Here's hoping they let you keep your hair pretty similar to how it is! You're beautiful, you'll do great :)

naereid
June 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
first congratulations!!

they must learn to the beauty of long hair is nothing wrong in pageants!!!

just look the beautiful Aleksandra Ivanovskaya winner of the miss russia 2005,, with only 16yo!!

http://aleksandraivanovskaya.fansiter.com/pictures/single-braid-of-long-hair.jpg
http://aleksandraivanovskaya.fansiter.com/pictures/hair-past-butt-tight.jpg
http://aleksandraivanovskaya.fansiter.com/pictures/crowned4.jpg
Whoaaaaa. That's got to be the biggest braid I've ever seen. :thud:

Aurantia
June 17th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Congrats on the pageant! You'll have to keep us updated on the results!

freckles
June 17th, 2010, 01:43 AM
congratulations, good luck, and let us know how it goes :)

joiekimochi
June 18th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Thank you everyone! The hair check is tomorrow! I sure hope they don't give me too many drastic layers or take off too much length!

joiekimochi
June 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Just an update: I'm back from the hair check!

Good news is, the stylist let me keep the black hair and did not re-color it. He quite liked black hair on me. Not so good news is that he did cut my hair, but not the length ("I'm not going to touch your length, but I'm going to streamline your hair and give it more volume," was the first thing he said!). He trimmed my scraggly layers to make it look sharp and bouncy because apparently my hair "looked like a wig" to him due to the weightiness.

He asked me if I use curling tongs on my hair and I replied, "Only for very special occasions, usually about twice a year or so."

"Lazy," he replied.

"But I can't possibly do it everyday, right? Heat will damage my hair!" I protested.

"With hair as healthy as yours, you can heat style everyday!" was his sage-like reply.

I did get a free hair treatment though, plus a couple of nice head and shoulder massages. Then my hair was blown dry into big bouncy curls for the test shoot, and it looked nice up till the minute I stepped out into the windy street and my hair returned immediately to its usual 1a stick-straightness.

ericthegreat
June 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Good news is, the stylist let me keep the black hair and did not re-color it. He quite liked black hair on me. Not so good news is that he did cut my hair, but not the length ("I'm not going to touch your length, but I'm going to streamline your hair and give it more volume," was the first thing he said!). He trimmed my scraggly layers to make it look sharp and bouncy because apparently my hair "looked like a wig" to him due to the weightiness.

He asked me if I use curling tongs on my hair and I replied, "Only for very special occasions, usually about twice a year or so."

"Lazy," he replied.

"But I can't possibly do it everyday, right? Heat will damage my hair!" I protested.

"With hair as healthy as yours, you can heat style everyday!" was his sage-like reply.

I did get a free hair treatment though, plus a couple of nice head and shoulder massages. Then my hair was blown dry into big bouncy curls for the test shoot, and it looked nice up till the minute I stepped out into the windy street and my hair returned immediately to its usual 1a stick-straightness.

Its hairstylists like him that give all hairstylists a bad name. Does he not understand that the very reason that your hair is healthy is because you DON'T heat style your hair everyday?

Gothic Lolita
June 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
That's great news! I'm sure you look very pretty with you newly cut hair! And what a nice compliment. It's cool that he didn't touch the length and that he said that you have so healthy hair. I still wouldn't heat style it daily, but I think you will be happy with your new cut. What does streamline mean? New layers? I'd love to see a pic, but I'd understand if you can't make some until the contest is over.

In2wishin
June 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Good news is, the stylist let me keep the black hair and did not re-color it. He quite liked black hair on me. Not so good news is that he did cut my hair, but not the length ("I'm not going to touch your length, but I'm going to streamline your hair and give it more volume," was the first thing he said!)

That sounds like a great compromise: you get to keep your length and color and he made your hair more "pageant worthy". Good luck in the pageant!

HairColoredHair
June 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Its hairstylists like him that give all hairstylists a bad name. Does he not understand that the very reason that your hair is healthy is because you DON'T heat style your hair everyday?

Hey, at the very least, he admitted her hair was very healthy! :cheese::cheese:

You kept your length and it's still black! :cheese::cheese:

This is probably the best outcome there could have been (aside from them saying they weren't doing anything at all to it! :D )

joiekimochi
June 19th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Gothic Lolita: I think he meant to make my hair look sleeker and to blend my existing layers so they weren't so chunky and draggy! I'm *quite* happy with the results; my hair looks a lot better down now, but the sad thing is that my buns have shrunk! I would post pictures but I'm just soooo tired. I promise to take some ASAP!

After all the blowfrying today, I'm not going to touch any heated appliance for as long as possible!

Ericthegreat: Yeah, he's also one of those stylists who believe that expensive hair products can heal the damage from daily styling! He was also quite annoying; he tried to blowfry my sopping wet hair and used his fingers to finger-comb my wet hair WHILE WEARING HIS RINGS. My hair kept tangling in them and it was quite painful. He had the cheek to say, "Wow, your hair tangles really easily!"

Fiferstone
June 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Any chance of pictures of the new 'do?

GoddesJourney
June 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, he's also one of those stylists who believe that expensive hair products can heal the damage from daily styling! He was also quite annoying; he tried to blowfry my sopping wet hair and used his fingers to finger-comb my wet hair WHILE WEARING HIS RINGS. My hair kept tangling in them and it was quite painful. He had the cheek to say, "Wow, your hair tangles really easily!"

Well, hopefully you won't have to deal with him too much more. I agree with ericthegreat that he is not the guy to represent all hairstylists. What with that added comment about how "your hair tangles easily", it sounds to me like this guy just doesn't have a good grasp of cause and effect. At least his condition is not contagious. :p I'm glad it worked out for you. Good luck!

Kome
June 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Congratulations! I just finished reading all of the posts. I'm glad it worked out well for you and that stylist seems like a real pain, and not very bright to boot! We can't wait to see pictures of your new hair and good luck in the pageant! :)

embee
June 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Glad you could keepyour length and your color! You already know how to have healthy hair, and the stylist must simply not understand what it takes! :)

Best of luck with the pageant. It should be lots of fun, and you're wise: you can grow your hair to the floor starting next year, but you cannot be in this pageant again.

LisaButz2001
June 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Whoaaaaa. That's got to be the biggest braid I've ever seen. :thud:

In the first picture, I cnnot decide if I'm more jealous of the braid or the necklace!

Sammich
June 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
In the first picture, I cnnot decide if I'm more jealous of the braid or the necklace!

Amazing, I have to use that for hair inspiration! :D

Congratulations with the pageant by the way, hoping you win! ;) Would be cool to know a pageant winner, lol! :p
Happy about your haircut outcome, woo! You go girl! :cheese:

jera
June 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Good point. Eric, you're so cool. :D

Congratulations! I just finished reading all of the posts. I'm glad it worked out well for you and that stylist seems like a real pain, and not very bright to boot! We can't wait to see pictures of your new hair and good luck in the pageant! :)

Ditto. This is really exciting. Please tell us how it goes for you. I'd love to see an LHC member become Miss World. What a kick in the face to conventional hair stylists everywhere. :)

joiekimochi
June 21st, 2010, 07:13 AM
I took a picture just now, after my shower, and I'm not wearing any makeup, so I hope you guys wouldn't be too horrified at my un-painted face, which is VERY different from when I do wear makeup, so I've been told.

I can't find my camera so this one is taken with the cell phone hence the low rez!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5413&pictureid=74863

The biggest difference would be the Veronica Lake-ish bangs...before the cut my grown-out side bangs would just hang there in my face. Now it has a bit of wave!

Also, I notice how short my hair looks when put in front of my body as opposed to hanging down my back. From behind I'm almost waist, and from the front I'm APL. :(

ETA: I have no brows...

GRU
June 21st, 2010, 07:17 AM
You're BSL, not APL, from the front!

And you're lovely, even without (or especially without) makeup!

spidermom
June 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM
I'm glad the stylist didn't do something drastic to your lovely dark hair.

joiekimochi
June 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM
I'm glad the stylist didn't do something drastic to your lovely dark hair.

I'm glad too!! I noticed some of the other pageant girls were getting streaks or getting their entire head dyed a different color and super, uber-layered cuts, but I had the simplest style there!

Milui Elenath
June 21st, 2010, 08:30 AM
Just jumping on the glad wagon. I didn't post before but I was worry for you all the same.