PDA

View Full Version : Do I trim too much and a dye question

juliaxena
June 14th, 2010, 11:46 PM
It is June. I think starting december I have had 4 trims in the meantime. Two very small trims-just 1/8 of an inch, one half inch and one 0,6 inch. My average hair growth is about half inch a month. Do you think I trim too much to see my hair growing?

And second, I have dyed my roots about 10 days ago and I already have 1/8 inch of roots. This seems much to me. I THINK the dye worked well. As far as I could tell, it lightened my hair as always. I could be wrong though, but can a hair dye fail even though it worked other times or am I just growing a bit faster at the moment?

Thank you for your opinions.

Backliteyes
June 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
If you want to maximize the amount of growth you see, my advise is to trim only as much as you need to to get rid of damage/split ends. This means different amounts of trimming for different people depending on a lot of factors. Don't put off trimming off damage though, you'll only end up having to trim off even more in the long run due to the damage creeping from the ends.

As for the dye, maybe you didn't get the roots as well as normal? I've noticed if I don't get really thorough coverage of my roots clear down to my scalp my roots show a lot earlier than if I do. If it really is that much growth, though, then the upside is that you're gaining length that much faster. :D

serious
June 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM
My average hair growth is 1/2 inch per month. I hennaed two weeks ago and now my visible roots are about half inch already! I guess it is what people call summer growth spurt :) ( it's been extremely hot these days! )

jera
June 15th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Hair grows a half and inch a month so even with 4 trims since December you should be seeing some length. In my experience, I've gotten the most noticable growth when not cutting and trimming maybe once or twice a year. Every one is different of course. :p
As for your viisible roots, hair does grow faster in warm weather as was previously mentioned. Has it been warmer where you are?:)

juliaxena
June 15th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Oh yes. It suddeny got really hot here. I do hope you are right :).

Calista
June 15th, 2010, 02:46 AM
If you are going for length I suggest not trimming at all for as long as you can stand. Try to find hairdos that cover up an uneven hemline or ends that are not in great shape, preferably buns. Your goal length isn´t super long, so it might be worthwhile to grow close to your goal length and start maintaining then.

juliaxena
June 15th, 2010, 03:03 AM
If you are going for length I suggest not trimming at all for as long as you can stand. Try to find hairdos that cover up an uneven hemline or ends that are not in great shape, preferably buns. Your goal length isnīt super long, so it might be worthwhile to grow close to your goal length and start maintaining then.

That's just it. I'm a sucker for even ends and blunt blunt blunt hemline. I am starting to wear updos but i want to wear my hair down at least three times a week. That's why I'm growing it.

Calista
June 15th, 2010, 03:14 AM
In that case you might want to keep your hemline even. Frequent trims mean slower growth progress, but as long as you don´t trim all your grwoth off you´ll still gain some length, just much slower than if you don´t trim at all. It´s up to you what is more important to you - keeping an even hemline or gaining length fast. Both ways are equally possible.

dropinthebucket
June 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM
ten times three for one month, three times one-eighth, just under a half inch - sounds about right to me.

jane53
June 15th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I'm a fan of trims.

I've had long hair for decades--from tailbone to waist length and back to tailbone. My usual length is hip length.

When I first grew my hair long, I resisted trims. I just wanted length.

When I first started trimming, I was delighted by the results. My hair SEEMED longer because the ends were more robust.

Now, regular trims are just part of my routine and I keep my hair about hip length. Sometimes tailbone, then back to hip.

I advocate trims for healthy hair.

But that's just my hair and my way.