PDA

View Full Version : How many WO'ers out there?

hoolahooper
June 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
How many have tried WO but it didn't work because of build-up. I've been at it for 6weeks, and nervous eventually it will happen.

Witchy
June 14th, 2010, 09:17 PM
WO is the only thing that keeps my hair from drying to a crisp. Going strong for 6 months so far :)

I haven't had any problems with build-up, no funky smells, no anything. Any real change between pre- and post-WO was pretty intense static with my favorite hairbrushes, I learned not to brush before going anywhere important ;)

Witchy
June 14th, 2010, 10:01 PM
How many have tried WO but it didn't work because of build-up. I've been at it for 6weeks, and nervous eventually it will happen.
Worst case scenario, you get some nasty build up and have to use a clarifying shampoo to wash it out. Its not the end of the world.

Just for funsies, here's a personal anecdote: when I was doing CO, I was really determined not to let shampoo touch my hair -- not for any particular reason, but just out of principle. Of course, my hair was still producing sebum at a ridiculous rate, and very quickly it got really nasty and waxy, very itchy and there was this yellowy buildup which just wouldn't wash out. Yuck. So I broke down and shampooed the nastiness out, and never had that problem again.

Lesson learned: standing by principle is nice, but its better to be practical when you have to. You're better doing a one-off clarifying wash if you really think you need one (although sometimes a baking sode + vinegar rinse can be much less harsh on your hair).

I don't think you'll undo 6 weeks worth of effort adapting your hair to WO with a once-in-a-bluemoon maintenance wash before you're off shampoo/conditioner entirely.

Rivanariko
June 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I tried WO on for about 8 weeks I think. I was determined to stick it out long enough to get a good idea of what it would do with my hair. I didn't have build-up problems, or greasies or waxy or anything. My hair did become much more brittle and tangly though, which is why I switched back to CWC with cones. Good luck on your WO journey though! Hope you find what's going to be best for your hair!

jera
June 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Mr. Spunk Ransom uses WO and his hair is awesome. :) I have to use 'poo because I work out and my scalp sweats. Need to get rid of the sweaties. :o If you do use WO try using some fragrant EO around the pulse points under and behind your ears because going 'poo-less for long periods can make hair smell dirty even if it isn't. ;) Best luck !

Loreley
June 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I wanted to try it in January (after months of CO-ing). I did it for a week or so. My hair was waxy, sticky and my scalp was itching like crazy. It looked disgusting and even flakes appeared. I know it must be much better after the transition period but I couldn't do it longer than a week. :(

lilravendark
June 15th, 2010, 04:47 AM
WO for a few months now doesn't feel greasy in fact its maintained a nice balance, plus if it feels a little lank I just wash it Baking soda and rinse with acv I do that once a month and my hair looks and feel great. No smell no complaints from DBF he cant even tell I stopped using shampoo lol

hoolahooper
June 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM
WO is the only thing that keeps my hair from drying to a crisp. Going strong for 6 months so far :)

I haven't had any problems with build-up, no funky smells, no anything. Any real change between pre- and post-WO was pretty intense static with my favorite hairbrushes, I learned not to brush before going anywhere important ;)
will it matter if i don't brush? I do use a shammy to brush when wet

hoolahooper
June 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Worst case scenario, you get some nasty build up and have to use a clarifying shampoo to wash it out. Its not the end of the world.

Just for funsies, here's a personal anecdote: when I was doing CO, I was really determined not to let shampoo touch my hair -- not for any particular reason, but just out of principle. Of course, my hair was still producing sebum at a ridiculous rate, and very quickly it got really nasty and waxy, very itchy and there was this yellowy buildup which just wouldn't wash out. Yuck. So I broke down and shampooed the nastiness out, and never had that problem again.

Lesson learned: standing by principle is nice, but its better to be practical when you have to. You're better doing a one-off clarifying wash if you really think you need one (although sometimes a baking sode + vinegar rinse can be much less harsh on your hair).

I don't think you'll undo 6 weeks worth of effort adapting your hair to WO with a once-in-a-bluemoon maintenance wash before you're off shampoo/conditioner entirely.
Everyone talks about waxy feelings too. I feel it with tap water, and 10min worth of water does nothing. But with just one cup of distilled water, caught over and over, I have yet to feel it. What a water savings! Anywho hope it never happens

countryhopper
June 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I'm not WO, but i am No Poo (dilluted baking soda and tea rinse after). Transition for me was 2 weeks for the worst of it. through that I tried to do WO a couple of times, but I found I really had to get in there and scrub my scalp really well with my fingertips and change the water temperatures.

hoolahooper, what exactly is your WO routine? How often do you wet your hair? Do you scrub at the scalp, scritch, preen, etc? Maybe detailed info will help the more experienced ones to troubleshoot.

tmgianna
August 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
i'm going into my 5th week of WO. i've broken the rules a couple times and done acv rinses (even tried an egg to cut the greasiness -- that was an adventure). my hair is pretty unattractive right now: i haven't been able to wear it down for a really long time. i'm not sure if i should stick it out longer or just give up and start experimenting with herbal washes (and i've NO idea where to start with those!) the few times i've broken down and used baking soda and/or acv really haven't done me much good.

Amber_Maiden
August 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'm actually going to start WO soon, I think... Currently only COing once a week....

DoubleCrowned
August 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'm WO for over 4 months. It isn't wash 'n' wear hair yet, but looks nice. It seems like I have to balance my hair after each washing with just the right amount of brushing and sometimes "mopping" with cotton cloth. What I think is happening is that my hair needs about 8 hours to readjust after the water--as if it needs to absorb oils or something. Next time, I will wash in the evening, not brushing until morning.