View Full Version : Is there anything you SHOULDN'T mix with henna?

OperaTeacherMom
June 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM
This is probably an odd question, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Does anyone know if there are ingredients you should never add to Henna? I was considering experimenting with adding proteins (egg, mayonnaise, honey) since my hair LOVES protein, but I wanted to see what the gurus here thought (I may cross post on the henna for hair board). What about oils like olive or coconut? Has anyone actually had luck getting a brighter, more "fiery" color using additives
(other than paprika or cayenne, I'm allergic)?

No worries, I will definitely strand test before I do my whole head:)

kdaniels8811
June 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Why would you mix anything with it? I would suggest doing protein packs separetly. I mix with warm water and some rose water to cut the smell down. That is about it. Henna is fiery on its own, you do not need anything else, just know that it is bulletproof permanent so this is not something to try out. But the conditioning and shine is unbelievable. I love this stuff.

missmandy
June 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I would suggest not adding anything that can spoil in henna... Because you'll have to dye release it for 6-12 hours, and then leave it on your hair for about the same time.

twilight_faerie
June 15th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I've heard that adding wine can make your henna stain a deeper red, but I don't have any evidence that it's true. I've tried it and haven't noticed any difference.

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I would suggest not adding anything that can spoil in henna... Because you'll have to dye release it for 6-12 hours, and then leave it on your hair for about the same time.

FYI, many of us only leave henna on for 1-4 hours (I get great color with only two hours).

But I do agree with not putting anything in that could spoil (ewww, how nasty would sour milk smell be on your hair???).

Nae
June 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I personally wouldn't mix henna with a toddler hehe, can you imagine the mess?

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Spoken like a true mommy!!!! :D:D:D

burns_erin
June 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I use a tablespoon or two of honey to make application and rinsing easier, other than that it does not seem to affect (or effect-I always confuse the two) the dye of henna.

There probably aren't many things you can't mix with henna. most of it is probably more preference. Personally, I found vinegar or wine smelly and drying without any change to color.

OperaTeacherMom
June 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM

:redgrin: I waited til the little guy was asleep so no worries LOL. I ended up just doing what I normally do, Chamomile tea since I've heard it's less drying than lemon juice and you get a faster dye release. I did end up adding a little lemon juice though, and totally forgot the honey, and my hair is definitely a bit dry. My henna never seems to make THAT much of a difference, but I've only done 3 applications so far. How long does it usually take to see a big difference?