PDA

View Full Version : The conditioner dilemma

Domino
June 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone :cheese:
I just wanted to tell you about a problem I have with hair conditioners. I have wurly hair that tends to dry out at the ends, so I feel I have to use conditioner. BUT whenever I use it, even the tiniest bit, my face breaks out! This is even after washing my face as the last thing in shower.

I recently realized that my fave condish (for my hair, definitely not for my face!) contains mica. My skin just cannot tolerate mica, it also hates mineral makeup. Also, EVERY conditioner available in my country contains cones (amodimethicone or cyclopentasiloxane, the most common ones) and my skin doesn't appreciate those too.

I wanted to try catnip rinses, but the herb is not available either due to some of its "drug-like" properties :mad:

I regularly henna my hair and I also need something to make washing it out easier.

Can you please recommend something for me??

Thanks in advance :o

PS
I had to use some condish 3 days ago and now my face is a horrible mess and I hate it when it's not because of PMS :( (hey, that rhymes)

lilalong
June 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I can't really recommend anything, but wanted to add that cones give me horrible breakouts.

Fractalsofhair
June 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
How is catnip not available... I have never heard of it being "drug like", for people at least. Have you checked a pet store? Also, have you checked the SUPER cheap conditioners? They are often cone free.

I'd suggest a tea rinse, and see what local herbs are available.With rinsing out henna, have you tried oiling your hair heavily, then doing a mermaid soak in a bath tub? For dry hair, you can dilute honey in water and put it on your head(then in a shower cap) occasionally to ad moisture back in.

Dilute your shampoo heavily, if you can as well. Also, can you avoid putting conditioner on your scalp and near your face?

Domino
June 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
How is catnip not available... I have never heard of it being "drug like", for people at least. Have you checked a pet store? Also, have you checked the SUPER cheap conditioners? They are often cone free.

I'd suggest a tea rinse, and see what local herbs are available.With rinsing out henna, have you tried oiling your hair heavily, then doing a mermaid soak in a bath tub? For dry hair, you can dilute honey in water and put it on your head(then in a shower cap) occasionally to ad moisture back in.

Dilute your shampoo heavily, if you can as well. Also, can you avoid putting conditioner on your scalp and near your face?

Well I have a cat so I figured if I didn't like the catnip rinse I could give it to my cat, but it's not sold anywhere :( I asked 3 pet stores and the all said "it's illegal, can I recommend this bla-bla spray instead? Cats love it" I don't think my hair would like a weird spray though :p

The super cheap conditioners here are like 2$ and still contain amodimethicone. I have a selection of those under the sink, all of which I cannot use :)

I always put conditioner from the ears down, but...with this mica containing conditioner, I had glittery looking hands after washing 4 times so I figured it sticks to the hair and face as well. Same with cones, I feel like they are transferred on to my face well after drying.

May I ask how to oil hennaed hair?

virgo75
June 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have acne prone skin as well and my forehead and back can breakout if I do my hair in the shower(I still do it like this in a hurry though).

But what helps me is to wash my hair using either my kitchen sink or kneeling on the edge of my bathtub and rinsing under my bathtub faucet. Immediately afterwards I squeeze out the extra water and then wrap my hair in a towel or old t-shirt so it won't drip onto my face. Even if something gets on my face it rinses off much better and I wash my face afterwards when I take my shower. Or if I wash at night(usually when I do a deep condition) I'll just wash my face afterwards.

Hope this helps. :flower:

error
June 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I would try olive oil over night and soak it out or use a very watered down shampoo on your head for a few seconds to rinse it out it may help! I sure do hope it does!

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I would try olive oil over night and soak it out or use a very watered down shampoo on your head for a few seconds to rinse it out it may help! I sure do hope it does!

eep! :( olive oil was horrid on my hair. Only use it if you can look lousy until you have a chance to shampoo again, in case it's horrid on your hair too!

Lamb
June 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Domino, I see you are in Turkey. Are there any DM stores (Drogerie Markt) in your area? The Alverde line only has cone-free conditioners, they are really great. Not the cheapest, but not very high-end either.
If you only use conditioner from the ends down, I doubt that is the cause for your breakouts, however. Examine all other products you use in the shower, including the stuff you wash your face with.
Also, very important: make sure you rinse your hands of all product very thoroughly before you touch your face in the shower!
I hope that helps. :)

Fractalsofhair
June 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM
What I do with oil to help get henna out is I just pat on a lot of oil(olive oil or whatever's cheapest, since you use about a cup of it.)and massage it in, to the henna mix right before I'm about to take it off. It's messy, but it can help a bit, though your hair looks quite greasy after.

hoolahooper
June 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I stopped using soap(except in specific areas) shampoo and conditioner. I just use distilled water and my hair and sensitive skin, and dry hair have never looked better. I think chlorine kills good bacteria and that's why bad bacteria gives us zits. BTW, I don't even use cream.

Domino
June 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Lamb, unfortunately I've not even heard of those stores. It's kinda funny though--even the cheapest conditioners contain cones.

Hoolahooper, I totally agree with chlorine being terrible for skin and hair. I wish I could do that, but PMS makes my skin and scalp so oily that I cannot stand it. I guess using shampoo once or twice a month would defeat the whole purpose :rolleyes:

Fractalsofhair, I would love to try some oil the next time I henna.

Thank you everyone for your replies :)

maybe sparrow
June 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
That's bizarre about the catnip. It's a mint, not a drug.

cobblersmaid
June 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM
What about using low-fat coconut milk?

Domino
June 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
That's bizarre about the catnip. It's a mint, not a drug.

Wait--are catnip and catmint the same thing...?

What about using low-fat coconut milk?

Again not quite available around here :rolleyes:

HintOfMint
June 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
maybe you could only use conditioner on your ends, and when you rinse you could tip your head back so the water is flowing away from your face. Also, after you finish applying the conditioner and rinsing it out, maybe you could wash your hands right after. That could have been the problem when you broke out. It is possible that you still had some conditioner on your hands as you washed your face, and not all of it rinsed off.

dawnss
June 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I would suggest using natural hair recipes: olive oil, maybe some vegetable oils, and are there any oils common in Turkish cooking that you've heard family and friends using for their hair?

Deborah
June 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Maybe you could take your whole shower, including hair, but ignoring your face. Then after you are out of the shower, wash your face at the sink. I would think any effect the conditioner might have on your facial skin would be avoided in this way.

Good luck with whatever you do! I hope you find a solution soon. :)