PDA

View Full Version : Best way to measure hair?

Florida Mom
May 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I switched from a ruler, to a hard measuring tape, and just now used a soft measuring tape.... and each measurement is different. Ranging from 26 1/4" to 27 1/2"

What do you use to measure??? THANKS

Iylivarae
May 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I use a soft measuring tape.
I place the "0"-mark on my forehead, just where the hair starts, then I pull my hair straight and measure how long it is...

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I do the same as Iylivarae, though I don't always get consistent measurements, because I have a V-shaped hemline and I pull my hair straight, so I can get about an inch and a half difference!

Guenever
May 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Same as above.. it's easier with a soft measuring tape..

Lady Godiva
May 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Use something soft, either a tailor's fabric measuring tape, or use a long ribbon or other woven fabric that you can lay flat and measure afterward with a yard/meter stick. Usually the former is easier.

Measure from your front center hairline, over your head and down the center of your back. Pull wavy/curly hair straight. Use the bottom measurement. Measuring over the head adds extra inches, but it provides the most consistent starting place for repeating the task at a later date.

Ohio Sky
May 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I always use a soft measuring tape but even then I get a ton of difference. Last month I measured 26.5-27". This month, for some odd reason, Im not measuring more than 26. I havent trimmed or anything. I think Im done measuring, whats the point if I cant use it to keep track of my progress?

soleluna
May 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I've had that problem too, ohio sky.. I wonder what happened!

OR Cowgirl
May 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I use a cloth measuring tape and always measure my hair wet and combed straight. Otherwise I'd never get a consistent measurement! LOL!

Mariah