PDA

View Full Version : How to tame top of head stick-ups?

QueenBea
May 12th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I've seen threads about this before, but can't find them----

As I've been growing in my "real hair" since last summer, some of the hairs are grayer and more wiry and curlier, and stick straight up like antennae when I pull my hair back :)

Is this a job for an aloe spray? What is the secret recipe?

I do like to use coconut oil on the ends of my hair, but if I put it on these hairs on the top of my head, it's greasy after a few hours. Spraying with plain water helps for the short term, but when they dry, they sproing up again.

Thanks!!
Bea

n3m3sis42
May 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Have you tried Kimberlily's defrizz spray?

Here's the thread about it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

Jaime
May 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Spray might work, but it may not be thick enough to do the job where you want it to. I use FOTE aloe vera gel - a little dab on the tips of my fingers, and then apply it to the "stick ups" as needed. Works pretty good for me!

8) Jim

Loviatar
May 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I use a spray mister for stickups... my mister is a mix of about 8 parts water, 1 part conefree conditioner, and 1 part aloe gel. Shake well and spray onto the stickups, then smooth through the hair with your hands or a comb. I find they stay down!

HTH.

kate46
May 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I also use a little aloe vera gel to smooth down the frizzy greys but I have noticed that if I try to smooth it more than once they spring back up! so try just rubbing a little gel onto your finger tips and then sweep over the frizzies just one time, works well for me with this method,hth.

chrissy-b
May 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have these too and the only thing that works is KMS Paste. It's the only commercial styling product I use and it is awesome for those little flyaways and hairs that stick up and won't go down. If you try all other recommendations on this page and nothing works, I would give this a shot.

QueenBea
May 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the ideas--I'm hitting our health food store tomorrow to look for wheat berries to grind; will look for aloe vera and possibly jojoba oil and try those first in some combination. And hit the "products" if necessary :)

That spray was the recipe I was looking for, thanks for posting it.

Bea

MeganS
May 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
With whatever gel you decide to use, you might try spreading or spraying a bit on a paper towel, and then letting it rest on top (this is a Curly Girl suggestion). I find this to be very effective in smoothing the top without loading it up with a ton of product.

anna1850
May 13th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I'd actually recommend checking on what shampoo/conditioner you use. I used to have little sticky-upy hairs so bad that I used to tweeze them out to get rid of them as nothing would make them lie down. Now I've stopped using harsh anti-dandruff shampoos with lots of SLS and they've gone. I think they must have been too dry or something because of the shampoo.

QueenBea
May 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I started CO-ing this week and actually haven't had nearly the trouble with sticky-up hairs. I also sprung $14 on aloe and jojoba (same amount total that I spent on all my FOOD at the healthfood store; that's scary to me. I shouldn't spend as much on 2 hair products as 8 food products!) and will try those.

Thanks for the help, ladies, and my hair thanks you too! (And my husband (very gently) plays with my hair more now that it is getting longer and softer, which is good for my stress level, lol)

Bea

flapjack
May 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM
With whatever gel you decide to use, you might try spreading or spraying a bit on a paper towel, and then letting it rest on top (this is a Curly Girl suggestion). I find this to be very effective in smoothing the top without loading it up with a ton of product.

This is a great idea, I've done this before. Another option is to spray whatever you're using on your hands and rub them together well so there is only a thin layer and then gently pat the hair or smooth it down with your hand. Most of the time I won't directly spray things on my hair, I just use a clean and dry hand.