PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cut off about 3 inches....any opinions?

pinklemonade
June 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hello LHC,
To make a long story short, my hair (just my ends/layers) are drivin me nuts. They are not lovely and fairy tail-y as I wish they were, but they're see through, thinning out and just... very old. I s&d but they still get tangly and feel ratty. So I fixed an appt at the hair salon and plant to get about 3 or 4 inches cut off.
I am upset about losing all the length (I'll be back to bsl) but I have been trying to grow these layers out for two years and they've really gotten out of shape...what do you ladies/gentlmen think? Some of my friends say my hair looks just fine, so it could be a mental thing, but my aim is healthy hair (as much as I want long hair). Do you think cutting off this amount would improve the appearance of my hair? Because of all the layers I have, I'm not sure if just 3 or 4 inches would help...

here are some pics:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5419&pictureid=73595

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5419&pictureid=73592

DakarNick
June 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I think your hair is beautiful the way it is, but then again, I'm not the one taking care of it. I'm guessing the 3-4" off would bring that layer up to the next closest?

Oskimosa
June 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM
It's all about what you want to see in the mirror. I don't think it looks too wispy, it looks fine to me. If you want a thick blunt cut, either with a u, v or straight hemline, it's all about preference. But your hair doesn't look bad or off to me.

ButterCup02
June 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Your hair doesn't look bad to me either, but if you'd like a thicker/blunter hemline I think 3 - 4 inches would do the trick. I think it looks nice the way it is, but it'll look nice with a blunter hemline too! Up to you and your preferences :)

Love your colour!

x0h_bother
June 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Yayyy!!! Get rid of those layers! (Not that they are bad...it just seems like you are growing them out.) 3 inches will basically take you to another one of your major layers, and you will be SO much happier I just know. Then all your hair can grow to the great length you are at now- together! :) Go for it!

Peter
June 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I would say yes, your hair would look better if you cut some of the longest layers. But that's just my opinion.

jeanniet
June 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I think if you do the cut you're talking about, you'll still be about an inch or so below BSL, and your hemline will be much thicker. You really do have beautiful hair!

TheCatSaidQuack
June 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I say cut off 3 inches, and it'll bring you up to the next major line of layers - and your hair will look much thicker and not quite so wispy at the ends. You'll still have the layers around your face, but not so much at the back, giving it a slight V look. Go for it!

Loreley
June 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Your hair doesn't look bad at all, but if you prefer blunt hemlines (as I do) trim about 3 inches and it will look much thicker. :)

Lunami
June 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
It will look great when you've cut it it will be and look more healthy :)

missmandy
June 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Your hair doesn't look too terrible to me, but I agree, it has the potential to look miles better with a substantial trim!

Quixii
June 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM
It doesn't look bad as it is, but I do think that 2-4 inches off will improve the look of your hair. :)

ButterCream
June 14th, 2010, 11:09 AM
If they irritate you that much, as they really seem to do, (reading your comments here and the ones under your pics, lol:D)
- then cut your hair free of those layers.

I really think you have lovely hair wether you cut it or not!
But it seems like you would be happier and not irritated every day that you have layers if you even the hemline and make it thicker.

Cholera
June 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I think your hemline would look much better with the bottom layer cut off. Go for it. You'll get the length back pretty quick, anyway. :)

Addy
June 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I didn't read any of the comments as to not skew my opinion but I did look at your pics so here goes...

I'd definately cut some of it off if it were my hair. I want long hair too but right now, I'm playing the layer game which is grow and cut, grow and cut, only because I am so sick of the layers <I cut off my color hence the layers>.

It seems to me that you have a ton of layers and I can see how that would bug ya. The only thing I can reasonably do <in my mind> would be to get rid of them.

It's your hair. You have to do what you think is best and if cutting 3"-4" will solve some of your issues, by all means, do it! I would also like to add that I think your hair is beautiful! Good Luck with it and let us know what you decide. :)

squiggyflop
June 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
well i think its just the way the layers are behaving.. perhaps layers are not the best thing for you if the longest ones are looking too thin to you..

perhaps you could take off a half inch.. often thats all thats needed

GoddesJourney
June 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, I say cut that longest layer off. It is disappointing to have to go back to a much shorter length, but it is worth it in the long run. This is what I've been doing and, although I am actually shorter now than what I started off with, at least I can put a comb through it. I hate the ratty ends thing. It drives me crazy when it snags and I know I'm damaging it more when it gets pulled like that.

pinklemonade
June 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I just read through all of your replies, and want to say THANK YOU! Your comments made me smile, thank you for the compliments and for the encouragement/advice. Sending out some :pizza: and :heartbeat y'all are so supportive ! :)
I will go ahead and get a cut to get rid of that icky layer, BUT I just realized 3 inches means 6 centimeters? Whew that's a lot. I think I'm gonna say less to the hairdresser, because everytime I get more cut off than what I asked for! :rolleyes:
Happy growing everyone!

spidermom
June 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM
If it were me, I'd cut the longest layer back to the next-longest layer and in a gentle U.

urara12
June 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
your hair is so beautiful. but if it' bothering you the hem line.maybe cut 2 inch at first?

I also trying to grow my layers and havent cut since last July.
even no dust cut.
last night I did cut 1/ 2/1 my end:)and I am so happy with the result. now my hair much thicker than before and more bounce than before.

my stylist is very nice. ( first time last night )I told him many stylist would cut than what I ask.
he recommend me to bring ruler measurement to show to Stylist exactry how much I want to cut.
even he showed me as using the ruler how much he will cut from my end before he cut . and he also did pick up my hair from the floor
to showed me how much he did.

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 03:39 PM
urara12, I'm glad you got such a good stylist! Mine is good like that too!

Juneii
June 14th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Your hair doesn't look bad but if it eases your anxiety over your ends do it :) my ends were just fine but I trimmed off a few inches to even up the hemline and it looks better and healthier (in my opinion).

Hair grows and it's not a drastic cut, I say go for it.

urara12
June 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM
urara12, I'm glad you got such a good stylist! Mine is good like that too!

jane53. thank you very much. I found him by yelp.
someone commented that he is using really nice Japanese scissor.
also some people visit him from 150mile away.
so I decided to go :)

May
June 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I vote 'yes' to cutting the last 3-4" off. I think you'll like it better and I also think it will look less disconnected. You could also request blending of the rest of your layers so they are less noticeable but only if it's a really really good stylist. Can't wait to see the 'post' pics :p

Islandgrrl
June 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I think you should do what you think will make you love your hair.

I don't really advocate cutting, but If it were me, I think I'd cut those 3" off. :) I've dealt with the mad layers thing...no fun.

Carolyn
June 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Sometimes there are trade offs. You'll lose some length but you will gain a thicker hemline and get rid of some layering. It's all steps in the journey. It's difficult to lose length but you'll be gaining towards the hair you want.

hemolymph
June 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I have layers and hate 'em and I say GO FOR IT!!

hoolahooper
June 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm a stress cutter. I'll chopchop when my ends feel dry, but instead of getting my hair in better condition, I just chop off and regret it later. I think wait it out

Sherwood
June 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
For some reason (maybe I'm too new?) I can't see your photos, so have no opinion on the trimming. However, if it feels better to you to have the ends gone, I say go for it. And, just for informations sake, 3 inches is actually about 7.5. cm.

going gray
June 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Sometimes there are trade offs. You'll lose some length but you will gain a thicker hemline and get rid of some layering. It's all steps in the journey. It's difficult to lose length but you'll be gaining towards the hair you want.

I completely agree, excellent advice.

Yozhik
June 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Your hair looks very nice and long to me -- I think you can afford to lose a couple of inches and still be past BSL in length. Plus, of course, you'll have the wonderful benefit of a blunter cut, and thicker ends, healthier ends!

It sounds like you're going ahead and getting it cut, so good luck, and I want to see after photos :)

Arctic_Mama
June 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I am fighting layers as well, I feel for you! My ends were also highlighted and flat ironed, so their texture isn't as nice as it could be, either. I have been able to hobble them along with no damage or breakage, but they still don't feel or look as nice as the rest. I need to do a big chop off of a few inches as well, but I honestly think I may do it from hip to waist in two years, rather than from waist to BSL now, just given my personal style preferences (I can't do the buns I like any shorter than waist length on me!).

If they are bugging you, with how lovely your hair looks, I know it will still be beautiful shortened up a bit. I definitely see the wispiness you're talking about - it is a function of your layers more than damage, from the looks of it, but it can still be frustrating. So from my position, at least, I fully endorse a 3-4 inch cut if you can deal with less length and better condition.

Cailie
June 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I think it would help grow long and make your ends feel better too. (you hair is really pretty as it is though)

If it were mine, I would cut here :

Edit : ** sending picture via MP, as I am not sure you want it here... **

and then dust the ends every 2-3 months :)

you will have GORGEOUS think hair once the few inches grow back. I'm sure the thick hemline it worth the trimm (I trimmed 4 inches a couple months ago... it did feel really short but I do not regret it. It looks so much more healthy now !)

Debra83
June 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I would wait until it was past hip, and THEN cut off that much like the photoshopped pic above. So you would have waist length hair or so. Believe me, I cut off about an inch around/before Christmas (I was supposed to be microdusting), and I totally regretted losing the length. BUT, having said that, LENGTH is where it is at for me - more important than hemline. I think if I had one little hair longer than the rest, I would keep it. It would be my scout!!!

UltraBella
June 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I would cut it now, they are driving you nuts and it's no use fighting with them anymore. I don't mean this in an unkind way, so please don't think I am trying to be harsh - you have some of the strangest layers I have ever seen ! I have layers and I adore them, but I wouldn't if there was a giant gap between my longest layer and the next. My layers are very blended. Yours are not and it's almost like your longest layer is wasted length because of it :(
You have lovely hair. I would trim it and then enjoy how beautiful it looks, and keep growing it without that one thing driving me nuts :)