PDA

View Full Version : Jojoba Vs. Coconut oil? Info needed.

nankipoo
June 14th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hi,
I was wondering which oil was best for deep conditioning pre-wash treatments? I've used coconut and evoo in the past (prefer coconut) and was thinking of using organic jojoba -- but is this better for a leave-in and, if so, why?
Thanks in advance.

hemolymph
June 14th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I'd like to know, too..

naereid
June 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
AFAIK, coconut penetrates the hair, while jojoba doesn't. So coconut is good for deep treatments and jojoba is good for shine.

Beatrice
June 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM
AFAIK, coconut penetrates the hair, while jojoba doesn't. So coconut is good for deep treatments and jojoba is good for shine.

I second that. Jojoba as a deep treatment didn't do much for me. I needed more conditioning. I think it's better as a leave-in on moisturized hair with a strong curl or wave and lots of thickness. People describe it as light, but I think that's because it sinks into skin. On hair, it just coats the surface. It's also a bit waxy and will make your hair stringy if you don't have lots of body. I'm not a fan myself, but it might work for you.

virgo75
June 14th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I second that. Jojoba as a deep treatment didn't do much for me. I needed more conditioning. I think it's better as a leave-in on moisturized hair with a strong curl or wave and lots of thickness. People describe it as light, but I think that's because it sinks into skin. On hair, it just coats the surface. It's also a bit waxy and will make your hair stringy if you don't have lots of body. I'm not a fan myself, but it might work for you.

3rd all of this.

Coconut oil will sink into my hair eventually even when I use it straight, but jojoba just sits on top. At the same time, jojoba is GREAT at detangling. But you should start with a small amount at a time because it can make your hair greasy & limp with too much. <-- this said by someone who has to literally POUR on tons of coconut oil or evoo for my hair to 'look' greasy.

Evoo is also great in treatments. :thumbsup:

Edited to add: for prewash treatments I like to mix coconut oil & evoo or castor oil & evoo.

Hope that helps. :flower:

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Just wanted to add my different experience: EVOO was HORRIBLE for my hair.

Coconut oil was okay.

Haven't tried jojoba.

GRU
June 14th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Throwing out another option... I did Sweet Almond Oil this weekend, and it was amazing! I liked it even better than coconut oil!

However, it might be too heavy for some folks. I have fairly coarse, very curly hair, and my hair felt kind of like it still had some oil in it after I CO-washed it. I couldn't actually SEE any oil, and my hair didn't look greasy, but when I rubbed a tress between my fingers, it had that slippery feel to it. Or maybe it just made my hair so soft that it *seemed* oily just because it was so smooth??? I dunno.

I just bought some Jojoba il this weekend, but haven't tried it yet. I do know that I'll be doing the Sweet Almond again in the future, though!

Cholera
June 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Jojoba oil is a liquid wax, very much like sebum, but it doesn't penetrate the hair shaft. Coconut oil is said to be able to penetrate to the kortex of the hair, and would be better for conditioning.

I use a blend of coconut, jojoba and shea butter. I think the jojoba helps to tame the frizzies the best :)

emmabovary
June 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Almond oil works great for me too. I find it lighter than EVOO. Not sure how to compare it with coconut oil... Haven't tried jojoba.

Chestershire
June 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM
does coconut oil makes normal hair too greasy?

Beatrice
June 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
does coconut oil makes normal hair too greasy?

In most cases, no. You just have to use a small amount. Start out with a smidgeon as big as the fingernail on your index finger (the whole nail, not just the tip). A deep oiling for me is 3-4 times that amount on my hair, which is just past shoulder. Even if it starts out slightly greasy, chances are it will sink in after a few minutes.

I should add to my previous post that jojoba is probably easier to work with if it's mixed with something else. It clumps very easily, and I think the trick is spreading that one drop all over the hair. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep has a tiny amount of jojoba, and I have no problem with it.

anna francesca
June 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Although I cant say anything about jojoba, I can definetley recommend coconut.

After heavy pre wash oiling and washing my hair is usually still a bit stringy, when I comb it out and let it dry its still a teeny bit greasy but the second day the oil has vanished and my hair is miraculously shiny and silky. Hair Mystery???

I think it prooves that the coconut oil sinks in more than other oils!

sensisweetie
June 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
i can't choose because i absoloutly love both.

coconut oil like others said, penetrates the shaft and prevents protien loss for i love it for my ends, but i shed like CRAZY if it touches my scalp

jojoba oil is very similar to sebum on a molecular level, so it is very scalp friendly and the perfect carrier oil for scalp massages. :) i use it on my ends too, but not as much as coconut because its more expensive and also my facial oil.

Schefflera
June 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
The last time I applied coconut oil, my hair felt... not exactly sticky, but inclined to stick to itself. The time before that, it was too greasy to wear down, but made a really lovely braided bun, but last time I was having trouble braiding it.

I probably used too much -- misjudged because it was liquid or something. I might try sticking it in the fridge for the summer and see if that makes things easier.

My mother-in-law, though, has thicker, coarser, wavier hair than I do, and we were trying to put it up one day when she'd recently washed it and rinsed a bit too hot, so it was being a little uncooperative. It just drank the coconut oil I tried on it. Detangled beautifully and got really soft.

pennylane
June 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM

And i 4th that. :)

As a pre-wash treatment jojoba is like water, meaning it does nothing to my hair (also it's expensive) while coconut oil is very effective. Coconut oil is one of the best oils out there.

ancilla
June 14th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I agree with others that have said that Coconut oil is best for conditioning (deep treatments) and Jojoba is best for a light finishing.

I actually prefer Jojoba oil on my skin than in my hair, though I do oil my wooden comb with Jojoba.

ktani
June 15th, 2010, 06:11 AM
This is a good thread on oils, especially coconut oil http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30171 and there is discussion of jojoba oil as well.

dawnss
June 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Maybe its my hair type (type 4a) but jojoba oil does actually seem to penetrate my hair.However, my hair is pretty dry even when I moisturize and deep condition regularly. I think I have tried coconut oil but if it has protein like coconut milk then it might be good to help with a moisture/protein balance. If you are looking for a sealant to keep in moisture jojoba oil is the way to go since that is its objective, but I can tell you that it does not do a good job for conditioning. I can tell you that evoo is way too heavy, but I want to try it again. If I may recommend a few oils: Africas Best Herbal Oil (it can be purchased at walgreens and walmart) and NOW Foods makes GREAT oils and butters at reasonable prices: 4 ounces of jojoba oil is $10 or 16 ounces is $25 I also like there shea butter. As far as the NOW Foods is concerned you can buy there oils online, at Lassen's, and GNC and there are probably other stores but I do not know of them.

ktani
June 15th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe its my hair type (type 4a) but jojoba oil does actually seem to penetrate my hair.However, my hair is pretty dry even when I moisturize and deep condition regularly. I think I have tried coconut oil but if it has protein like coconut milk then it might be good to help with a moisture/protein balance. If you are looking for a sealant to keep in moisture jojoba oil is the way to go since that is its objective, but I can tell you that it does not do a good job for conditioning. I can tell you that evoo is way too heavy, but I want to try it again. If I may recommend a few oils: Africas Best Herbal Oil (it can be purchased at walgreens and walmart) and NOW Foods makes GREAT oils and butters at reasonable prices: 4 ounces of jojoba oil is $10 or 16 ounces is $25 I also like there shea butter. As far as the NOW Foods is concerned you can buy there oils online, at Lassen's, and GNC and there are probably other stores but I do not know of them.

Coconut oil does not contain protein. It helps prevent protein loss from hair by binding to keratin inside the hair shaft.