PDA

View Full Version : Posture and long hair

MsBubbles
May 12th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Well I'm only at 23", but since growing my hair 'long' again I have become more aware of how my hair falls if I slouch (all the time) vs if I try to hold myself up straight. Long hair looks so pretty on people with great posture. I think it's even more important at shorter lengths: APL, BSL.

Has anybody else noticed this about themselves, or others?

I have a good 23 adult years' practice in slouching, since I'm pretty tall. I would shy away from standing up straight and proud. So now finally I think it's time for me to pull my shoulders back and let my hair sit properly on my shoulders & back.

levelek
May 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Good posture makes everything look prettier! Beautiful hair included. Having said that, long hair can also mask a great deal, including your posture. As a fellow tall&lanky sloucher, I usually make the most effort with my posture in the summer when my hair is up and my clothes don't cover up as much, either.

rhubarbarin
May 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Good posture is really a big part of beauty I think (although my BF has permanently rolled shoulders, so it's not everything!). Not only does it make you look better, it also makes you look more confident.. I think people treat you with more respect when you communicate assertiveness with your body language.. that includes standing up straight, walking with purpose, looking people in the eye, having a firm hanshake etc. I want to be taken seriously as an adult - not looked down on as a little girl - so as a small woman I try very hard to do all these things.

Also, it has helped my back pain more than anything. When I first started to stand up straight, I could only do it with effort for 5 minutes or so. I had to try hard to do it every time I thought of it for a couple years, before my muscles built up. Now I have good posture without even trying, and my back hardly ever bothers me..

I never thought of my posture in relation to my hair though.. though I have noticed some people who seem very shy, and with hunched shoulders, who I think of as hiding behind their hair.

eadwine
May 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Good posture, yes!

Even when I wear a bun I make sure I don't slouch, it shows it off better.

My physical therapist back when I was young should have known I was so sensitive to how my hair looks :lol: Would have made his job easier!

<She>
May 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I totally agree with rhubarbarin that people are seeing you in a different way if you stand in a correct posture. Good posture makes you look like confident and strong-minded person, and when you see how people are reacting and treating you, you will get more self-confidence.

I know this wasn't the original topic of the thread, sorry.

It really makes a difference in how the hair falls on your back- it doesn't get flat and rub on your clothing too much, then make static el., clump itself and end in a velcro-kind of state. I know this from experience. I used to have an awfull posture when I was a child, but now I don't slouch, even when I'm relaxed.

Tinyponies
May 25th, 2019, 02:11 AM
Resurrecting this thread, I must remember my posture as I’m also prone to hunching over, especially when stressed overwhelmed or tired. A long habit I learned as an overly tall kid.

(Re)Starting today!

Wusel
May 25th, 2019, 04:35 AM
I do pilates. It helps not to slouch and be aware of your posture. When I stop doing it for a couple of months (happens sometimes when I have stress and no time for weeks) I instantly start slouching. When I start again I get my good posture back.

Ligeia Noire
May 25th, 2019, 07:09 AM
My posture is not great either. Corsets really help with that though. Now that i have a desk job, I need to get me a couple more to stealth ;)