PDA

View Full Version : How do I thin my bf's hair?

Lemur_Catta
June 14th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Hi everyone! I have been cutting my boyfriend's hair for over a year (I cut my own hair too). I have given him a blunt cut, then a layered cut, but now he wants me to thin his hair, and I don't really know how to do that!
He has very thick hair, which is the reason he wanted a layered cut, since he goes swimming 3 times a week and he doesn't like to spend too much time blow drying.
Right now, his hair is layered from cheekbone length in the front, to collarbone length in the back. It is about 5 inches thick.
I have regular hairdresser scissors, and nothing else. I remember I thinned my fringe cutting in a vertical way, and it worked, but I don't know if I can do the same thing to all his head. I don't want to ruin his hair. What can I do?

missmandy
June 14th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I suggest investing in a razor comb. So you basically just comb, and then it's thinned! It's really easy.

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Yep. Razor comb is the way to go.

Mutinous
June 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Or thinning scissors, they are pretty easy too use. You just attack the thickest parts and you're done!

Lile
June 14th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I have thinning scissors, they are nice if you want to avoid splitting in the future (razor cause breakage as far as i know), but they're not too easy to use...
They cut out a lot, so you need to take care how much you cut...
I have thinned out my hair recently, it turned out ok, but I'd go to a hairdresser if i was about to start it over again...
On the other hand, hardressers did no good to my hair ever, so I'll probably try to improve my skills in the future and do it for myself.
So I'd recommend you to go slooowly. And yes, razors might be easier to use...

Lemur_Catta
June 14th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I knew razors would be easier to use, but I don't have time or money to go buy one, since he wants this done this afternoon. I wondered if there's a way to do that with "normal" scissors.

Lile
June 14th, 2010, 06:44 AM
oh sure, i almost forgot it...

check out this vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyo7DXKT3lg&playnext_from=TL&videos=EMrQGWWGsG8

countryhopper
June 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I also suggest thinning shears. I have been cutting DH's hair for about 8 years now, and I either use thinning shears to thin out or I hold the hair between first and middle fingers and cut it vertically. I think I like the thinning shear better, though. It comes out much nicer!

yellowchariot
June 14th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hey Lemur_Catta, I had layers put in my hair over a year ago. It really thinned my hair out. I really don't have any suggestions. Sorry!

Does your B/F have thick hair, by him wanting it thinned? I'd like to have mine thickened! To bad they don't make special razors for that :o.

mellie89
June 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Does your B/F have thick hair, by him wanting it thinned? I'd like to have mine thickened! To bad they don't make special razors for that :o.

I was gonna say, my boyfriend would be happy to take some of that thickness! He's got a thin spot at the ripe old age of 19. :o

I think buying a hair cutting kit with razors and the like is probably a really good investment. Seems pretty foolproof as well.

Fethenwen
June 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
oh sure, i almost forgot it...

check out this vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyo7DXKT3lg&playnext_from=TL&videos=EMrQGWWGsG8

Like that girl is doing, sort of. ... damn that video is annoying btw! :p
I also suggest like others have said, thinning scissors. I cut my boyfriends hair too, with a thinning technique like in the video in some places. I'm not sure I do it right, but it looks ok.

Lemur_Catta
June 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Thank everybody, I did it :) My bf is really pleased with the results. His hair doesn't really look any different, but if you touch it, you can feel the difference. Tomorrow he is going to swim, and after that he will tell me if he wants me to thin his hair further.
I wish I had his ponytail circumference, though, and he gets its thinned :D

Nikki-Jade
June 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM
If you thin out a girls long hair are you shortining it or can it stay the same length :)

Arniky
June 25th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hi
if it does not thin just let it thick as such
will look nice, may be while swimmming a head cap
could be worn