PDA

View Full Version : Do you find that your ponytail circumference *changes* from time to time?

Pandora.
June 14th, 2010, 05:09 AM
My ponytail circumference can range from 2.5" right up to 4" - depending on whether it's been heat-styled, how I've slept on my hair, what products I've used, and even the weather.

Last night, I went to bed with my hair damp and I put it in a high ponytail with a braid. I woke up with it still fairly damp, but the frizz and waves went KABOOM. Oh, it's dreadful. I measured my ponytail and it was somewhere between the 4" and 4.5" mark (my hair ain't thick, though!) which is just poofiness galore! Thank goodness for study leave where I can just stay at home and not do anything with my hair; otherwise I would of went straight for the frizz serums and hair-straighteners. ;)

Loreley
June 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM
My ponytail circumference changes under different circumstances too, but not that much. It changes only half an inch or so.

Mutinous
June 14th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Mine tends to shrink the greasier it gets. Straight after washing it is at its thickest and poofiest, which is why I try and stretch my washes.

countryhopper
June 14th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I've never measured the circumference, but after washing it feels like it is at its thinnest. just before washing (I wash twice a week) it is at its thickest. Weird!

HairColoredHair
June 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Yup... mine changes based on wet/dry dry air/humid air, how the hair was put up prior to measuring, whether it just feels like it, the price of eggs in China....

Pixna
June 14th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Yep. Right after washing my hair is super fluffy and thick. As the days pass, it is slightly less so. I'd say at MOST, it is a half inch difference -- not substantial, but enough for me to notice.

Tabitha
June 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Mine does the same - fluffy and voluminous after washing, sleeker when it needs a wash. But a salon blowdry straight with coney products will also make it "skinnier". In fact wash day isn't my best-hair-day, because it's SO fluffy it just looks silly. The day after wash is when my hair looks nicest, even if I've attempted to blowdry it myself.

Peter
June 14th, 2010, 10:38 AM
My hair is fluffy after washing and gets more compact as the days pass. My ponytail ranges from 4" to ~4.5".

vanity_acefake
June 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
oh pandora thats so weird. I have been puzzling over the exact same question. I thought it was just me! My ponytail circumference changes all the time. I guess i thought it was me measuring it wrong each time. I am so glad you asked this question.

freecelt
June 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Yes!!!! My hair does the same thing! It has a mind of it's own. :)

sneakybea
June 15th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Yep! I also have the kind of hair that starts out clean and poofy, then gets flatter and dirtier. I kind of like it at the mid-point, with enough grease to weigh it down but not pull out all of the body.

ilovelonghair
June 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
If I measure with a low ponytail it's thinner than if I measure the ponytail on top of my head. The density on top of my scalp is higher than at the back.