PDA

View Full Version : big big hair dye mistake

Desideira
June 14th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I must say that I feel very sad that lst friday I walk to very expensive salon and decided to color my hair. I was tempted to dye my hair for monts and I wanted to try just semi permanent dye withaut amonia that will only sligtly enchance my natural dark mousy blonde.

I went to very nice looking salon that has a good reputation in my city beuse I thought that I will give my hair in good hands. I asked for very subtle change to more golden blonde but only one shade lioghter then mine to not have wisible roots and something that will wash away if i will not like it.

After drying hair I was really upset to see my hair turned to reddish, orangy blonde. It was terrbile. It has orange tint in natural light. I feel terrible and what it even worse the Lady told me that she used permant color becuse "my hair woudlnt look good with the semi permanent" she told me after she dyed my hair
when I complained about the color she said that i have an optic illusion and taht she dont understnat hwat is my problem.

Now I feel devasted I am afraid of colring my hair again to hide this hideus color, that looks almost like orange. I dont know what color tone owudl neutralize this effect. It woudl be safer for hair to not do antyhing to it but I feel so bad
I dont knwow aht to do... I reach my BSL after two eyars of struggling now I dont want to destroy everthing or neither feel like i soak my hair in fanta:(

please help:rolleyes:

Gypsygirl
June 14th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry she did such a bad job. :grouphug: I think if I were you I'd get it fixed at a different salon. There's not much else you can do except leave it alone and grow it out... :(

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I am sorry to hear that :(
I am confused. You wanted it lighter but semi-permanent? As far as I know that is not possible. If you want to lighten your hair you have to cautiously bleach it. The woman at the saloon has put some sort of bleach on yur hair and did not leave it on long enough. That is why your hair is orangy now. Bleach splits the colour cells in your hair. First it splits the darkest ones, then the reddish ones and then turns into blonde. That is why you are reddish now.

I am sorry they did such a bad job!

emmabovary
June 14th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I am sorry to hear that :(
I am confused. You wanted it lighter but semi-permanent? As far as I know that is not possible. If you want to lighten your hair you have to cautiously bleach it. The woman at the saloon has put some sort of bleach on yur hair and did not leave it on long enough. That is why your hair is orangy now. Bleach splits the colour cells in your hair. First it splits the darkest ones, then the reddish ones and then turns into blonde. That is why you are reddish now.

I am sorry they did such a bad job!

That's what happened to me when I got my hair bleached many years ago... orange. It is just horrible :( Wish I had any advice... In the end I cut most of it off and dyed the remaining parts dark brown to match my roots. I would normally suggest going back to the same place and making them fix their mistake, but if that woman was such a bitch I guess that's not going to happen. Go to another salon where they are more understanding and helpful.

countryhopper
June 14th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Is there any way you could talk to the manager at the same salon, tell them your story, and have them fix it? I would think they'd rather fix it for free and keep you as a client than lose you as a customer

Desideira
June 14th, 2010, 04:52 AM
That's what happened to me when I got my hair bleached many years ago... orange. It is just horrible :( Wish I had any advice... In the end I cut most of it off and dyed the remaining parts dark brown to match my roots. I would normally suggest going back to the same place and making them fix their mistake, but if that woman was such a bitch I guess that's not going to happen. Go to another salon where they are more understanding and helpful.

I so sorry that it happend to you too:(

Oh no If I would have to cut my hair...now after all this time I was strugling to have it in perfect condition...:(

The Lady in salon shoud tell me that its nto possible to make hair lighter withaut stronger dye. I didnt know that:( I was trying to get my money back or make them fix the hair but they were so unpelasent and ever rude by trying to tell me that there is something wrong with my eyes. But I asked few of my friends and one nice girl in hair porduct store and thay all said that hair is not even in one color but divided in tree different shades. I called the chief of salon and today we have apointment adn he said that if he will see a msitake in dying then they will fix it but I dont know if i can trust him to be honest with me.

not to mention that the dye make my sclap really ichy and i have red spot about 6 cm wide and ry itch tihgt scalp

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Do you have a photo of yourself BEFORE the accident? If so, take it with you. Also, take a friend with you. Together you are stronger! Good luck!

Loreley
June 14th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear what they did. :grouphug: I'd go to another salon and have it fixed. :(

Jessclewlow
June 14th, 2010, 05:27 AM
oh dear... im afraid ive also experienced the dreaded 'tangoed' look when i went from dark to attempted light...
i would advise that you blast your hair with moisturiser and either go to another salon( in a hat of course) and explain the situation... or use a toner and dye it a shade darker. get yourself a blue shampoo and it might take away some of that awful glaring orange..
next thing i would do is march into that salon and demand to speak to her supervisor as she obviously is incapable of dying hair properly if its going orange ( unless she never realised your hair was already dyed?? ) also hunnie you cant use semi permanant to lighten your hair... you have to use use peroxide x
x

Pandora.
June 14th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I used to know a girl who wanted to go lighter, but since she was using her own hair lightening kit she messed it up and went bright orange. Luckily for her, she liked it and it actually looked pretty good on her. She's quite a crazy person who's had pink hair, electric blue and other awesome colours. She could easily pull it off.

Mutinous
June 14th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Maybe you could use a toner to take the orange out? I'm sorry to hear about this, this happened to me but in a fit of despair I dyed it all black. My hair felt awful for weeks.

If you really want the lighter blonde there are ways and means, a bit of peroxide in shampoo works to lift it a little bit, but I would be careful with adding more bleach to the situation.

dropinthebucket
June 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
yep, like others have said, if you want lighter, it means permanent as in some kinda bleach/peroxide. they should've explained that to you BEFORE they did it!! not very responsible behaviour on their part. the good news, though, is that you should be able to remove the brassiness with a proper toner. it sounds like they just didn't do this step. take yourself down to Sally's and get a blue/violet toner to remove the brass. if the brass isn't too strong, you could also try Shimmer Lights, a shampoo with some blue/violet tones to help keep brass/yellow out of silver and white hair. that might make enough of a difference just on its own. Good luck!

halo_tightens
June 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Grrr, I'm sorry you had that experience. It really irritates me when people are misinformed by others. They SHOULD have told you that lightening is always permanent, after hearing your explanation of what you wanted.

It makes sense if you think about it... When you go darker, pigment is added, and it can possibly wash away over time. When you lighten, though, pigment is taken away, and it's not like it can magically come back on its own! Once it's gone, it's gone, unless it's artificially replaced.

There are so many different ways you could choose to handle this situation, and I won't even go into that. I just hope you find a solution that makes you happy with your hair again!

hemolymph
June 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
It sounds like it can be fixed with a gentle toner... orange/golden hair can be toned to a more natural look. You can go back to a different salon and have them tone it for you. Here in the U.S my hair dresser charges just around $10 for a toner.

MsBubbles
June 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I would suggest going back there to visit the boss and taking a very self-confident friend with you, or family member, and stand there with your hair looking like it is long enough to where they agree to help you (if you trust them). I would think they would not want somebody with a bad highlight job hanging around their salon too long. Bad business! Sounds like they think they can just tell you to stop complaining thinking you will just go away.

If you don't want them going anywhere near your hair any more (don't blame you!), stand there with your friend until you get your money back.

I'm sorry for the bad highlights job but I'm even sorrier that they are treating you like you don't matter.

LaurelSpring
June 14th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I agree with the last couple of posts about a toner. I think that would do the trick for you and not damage your hair any more. Try to match it close to your natural color and then just let it grow from there. To brighten your hair naturally, I would use Cassia and catnip. It wont lighten it but it will brighten it so that it does look somewhat lighter.

luluj
June 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
not to mention that the dye make my sclap really ichy and i have red spot about 6 cm wide and ry itch tihgt scalp

Oh my, all of this sounds dreadful and I know you want it fixed, but, and it's a big but, try to leave it be for a couple of weeks so that your scalp will have time to heal. The last thing you want is a bad allergic reaction. Perhaps you could let some roots grow in and then try to match your dyed hair to your natural color, this way no color will have to be put next to your scalp. I wish you the best of luck.;)

shawneez
June 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I completely understand how you feel because this past April my hairdresser destroyed my 3 feet long hair by mistakenly putting concentrated platnium dye on my hair instead of platnium toner.
It's extremely depressing to say the least when you don't even want to leave your house.

First before you try anything else you need to find out exactly what they put on your hair. If it was a permanant dye maybe you can do hot coconut oil treatments to lift the color and depending on the result maybe a toner would help tone out any left over orange.
Be very careful about how you go about trying to get the permanent dye out of your hair. Be careful with clarifying shampoos because they are very harsh and can end up causing a lot of breakage.....this happened to me. You don't want to end up damaging your hair further.
Because of my recent hair disaster I am now going through the long process of growing my hair out again and so far have an inch of virgin hair.........gee only 35 more inches to go. If you want support during your own growing out process maybe we can start a thread here on LHC......I know there are a couple of other women on LHC who are in the same boat as us.
I hope you can get your hair back to a level that is more comfortable for you. It's terrible to have to start your summer out like this.

Kathie
June 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
That’s horrible- I know how it can feel to be excited about a new look only to come away disappointed.

The hairdresser was terrible! Its her job to inform you about coloring and to work with you to get the best results- you explained to her what you wanted and she did something else! Semi vs. perminant, and then she told you this after she took it off your hair :steam: Sure a semi doesn’t lighten hair but she should of told you. Gah, this makes me so mad! Go back there, get them to fix it. Don’t let the hairdresser’s defensiveness get to you- it’s your hair.

Good luck:flower:

christine1989
June 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Some people on here have used honey and lemon to gradually lighten both natural and colored hair. I have never tried it because I like to keep my hair as dark as possible but apparently some members have had success with it.

Desideira
June 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I would like to thank everyone for yours supporting words and advices:) It means a lot to me and made me feel that I am not alone with this disaster and that there are ways to rescue what have left. Here I feel so much udneerstnading and support. Thank you so much again:)

I feel sad to hear that so many for you experienced this kind of hair catstrofty too. :(
My orginal hair color is shown in my album on my profile.
I was able to ahcieve that with gentle non amonia color and 2,2% peroxide.
My ahir is very prone to be ligthend. It was not lightning my hair but only making it brighter and less mousy more golden.

But this year I started to use a little darker toner once every 4 months and now afer almsot year wanted to go back to hair that i had so i went to this salon and said that I weant to make hair toned and brighter but not necessary very ligth. I thought that i can use the same colro as two years ago and it will look the same...
I wish she woudl tole me before :(

I completely understand how you feel because this past April my hairdresser destroyed my 3 feet long hair by mistakenly putting concentrated platnium dye on my hair instead of platnium toner.
It's extremely depressing to say the least when you don't even want to leave your house.

First before you try anything else you need to find out exactly what they put on your hair. If it was a permanant dye maybe you can do hot coconut oil treatments to lift the color and depending on the result maybe a toner would help tone out any left over orange.
Be very careful about how you go about trying to get the permanent dye out of your hair. Be careful with clarifying shampoos because they are very harsh and can end up causing a lot of breakage.....this happened to me. You don't want to end up damaging your hair further.
Because of my recent hair disaster I am now going through the long process of growing my hair out again and so far have an inch of virgin hair.........gee only 35 more inches to go. If you want support during your own growing out process maybe we can start a thread here on LHC......I know there are a couple of other women on LHC who are in the same boat as us.
I hope you can get your hair back to a level that is more comfortable for you. It's terrible to have to start your summer out like this.

I feel so sorry aht it happend to you too.:(
I just odered coconut oil by parachute but I never knew it can be used to lift up hair color? could I ask how it shoudl be used and how long i should leave it on hair?
The idea of starting tread togeter and supporting each other is really so nice and sweet. I would be very glad to do it :D

Yesterday I visit the salon and talk with chief. I woudl like to thank again for nice and supprotive comment. I am shy eprosn and they helped me to feel more confident and I knew what to ask and what to expect:)

The chief was a lot nicer then other people that work in salon. He saw that I was very stressed and he was very calm and took a time to talk with me and lisen. But unfiortuantly notne of options that he told seem perfect and I dont know what to chose. He said that there is seven day to amke reclamation and make dye at their cost wchich means friday.

He also said taht he would not recomend gentle toner becuase he cant guarantee the result and he woudl advice to color againg hair with the same dye but in more ask\h corol to neutralize pigment . The problem is this dye as I reserched is 7,5 peroxide and with ammonia and I am faraid to put it again.

There was an option of removing a dye but we both agreed that it woudl be too demaging for the hair.
He adviced to buy shampoo with blue pigment.
By firday I have to decide if I will leave my hair as it is but use a lto of threatment and blue tint shampoo and pray that it will wash out partly and be less vibrant.
risk to use toner althoug hairdresser said that its not good (I dont understand why beuse it seem to be the gentlest and safest?:confused:)

dye my hair again with luo color .
What are your opinins on thsi options?
I bought yesterday shampoo and conditioner by biosilk silver lights. It has deep blue color and after first use I see that orange is toned down and now it looks more coppery bolndish-brown. I wonder if this porduct will graduatly deepen the efect. :rolleyes:

Gypsygirl
June 15th, 2010, 01:39 AM
If you can see a difference after using it just once, I'd definitely use it a couple of times before trying anything else! Don't do anything rash! :)

Kathie
June 15th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Yay! I'm glad you went back in :D

When I was bleaching my hair... last time was a couple of months ago now (I've stopped, really I have) I was getting a toner put in after--- the thing, is the toner can wash out. Specifically, my hair would be an amazing white blond until I washed it, so over time brassy tones would come back. So the toner while great at first will lose its effectiveness.

Because you don’t want to damage your hair further, I vote silver shampoo. Some of them are very moisturizing because they are designed for bleached hair. When I used them I would leave the shampoo in for 3-5min to get the greatest effect. But I have to say, the effect isn't drastic at first but as you guessed it does build up over time.

Desideira
June 16th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Thank you :) I followed yours advice and I decided to not do antyhing rush. At first I wanted to color this again to hide this color no materr what but now i know that I will not risk my hair. I now try to accept what happend and not be upset.:)

I can see that this silver light shampo and cond form biosilk is really working. Now i was my hair everyday to wash out as much pigment as I can. :)

What is strange to me is that before i dyed my hair was thick, coarse, very havy , storng now its more airy, light,and in some part look hmm wird. I havent seen many hair fall out but my hair seem thinner :rolleyes: hahah myabe dye ate my hair (joking):poot: