PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff

Cupofmilk
June 14th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Yikes - I have some dandruff now. I am going to aball on Friday and I need my hair to look great for then.

Help!

Dreams_in_Pink
June 14th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Have you had dandruff all your life or is it just a breakout?

Cupofmilk
June 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Never had it before - just switched to SLS /cone/paraben free a month ago. I started CO about a fortnight ago and I oil a lot. My head just isn't clean?

Dreams_in_Pink
June 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Never had it before - just switched to SLS /cone/paraben free a month ago. I started CO about a fortnight ago and I oil a lot. My head just isn't clean?

I read many threads complaining about bad scalp after switching to sulfate-free poos. Besides, i heard some conditioners might cause problems on scalp, as it might not rinse away, clogging the pores and causing flakes.

I suggest try sulfate poo and see if dandruff goes away?

GRU
June 14th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Try an ACV rinse every day.

Dandruff = fungus, which doesn't like an acidic pH level.

Also, when CO-washing, make sure you're giving your scalp a good massage to lift off any old cells.

Squeak toy
June 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I am 3 weeks on to my trial of a all natural shampoo for dandruff. 1/4 cup distiled water, 1/4 cup Castile soap, 10-13 drop pure tea tree oil, and 1/2 teaspoon apricot kernal oil, followed wil a 50 percent ACV rinse that I leave on 5-10 min. I had bad dandruff and so far I have none but I will have to see in the long term. Coal tar is the best for dandruff but the shampoos may contain chemicals you do not like and it is drying.

Cupofmilk
June 15th, 2010, 01:35 AM
can I ask what acv is? vinegar?

McFearless
June 15th, 2010, 01:48 AM
can I ask what acv is? vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar

HintOfMint
June 15th, 2010, 03:24 AM
GRU is right about dandruff being fungal, however, not all white flakes are dandruff. Dry scalp produces white flakes, and is often referred to as dandruff, when they are two different conditions. I say this just in case that is what the OP was referring to.

I personally have had the worst dry scalp and flakes of my life when I went on an SLS-free, tea tree oil infused shampoo. I also had some pretty bad shedding on CO. Both problems stopped when I went back to regular sulfate shampoos. Ah well, such is life.

FrannyG
June 15th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I also would suggest an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. I would get a plastic pitcher, put a few tablespoons of cider in it, and fill the rest with water. Use it as a final rinse, making sure that it works its way well through the scalp.

You may notice that your hair has a cider odour, but that will dissipate once your hair dries.

That is the one tip that I learned many years ago, back in my teens, 30 years before I joined LHC. It has always worked for me.

It not only restores your scalp's proper pH balance, but it also helps to remove any excess conditioner residue from your scalp. It also has the benefit of adding shine, by making the cuticle of you hair lie flat.