PDA

View Full Version : My growing was thwarted

lemonlife
June 14th, 2010, 01:47 AM
thwarted by the gulf oil spill, no less.

I went in to get my bangs trimmed, and my hair salon is donating clippings to:
http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html

Even with only a few inches taken, I gave a large donation due to being a iii.
But, now I'm at 13"

Someone tell me it was for a good cause. Because my vanity is chastising me. :rolleyes:

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Speaking as a person who has spent the best years of her life (so far) in New Orleans, yes, what you did was good. The oil spill may make a HUGE dent in the New Orleans economy (much of its revenue is from tourism and its cuisine relies largely on seafood, particularly oysters) and I am not sure if it can bounce back. I believe that any effective measure made towards the clean up is a good thing.

I say this with the assumption that the hair will be used to clean up the oil spill, and that you were not pressured into hacking off inordinate amounts of hair.

Gypsygirl
June 14th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I'm in awe of you. :thumbsup: Thank you for doing that!

naereid
June 14th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I really don't want to be a killjoy or make you feel bad about what you did, but last month there were some articles that claim the hair isn't going towards cleaning up the oil spill (http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/story.aspx?list=195065&id=460445). There are more results if you google things like "BP not using hair".

Then again, it's hard to trust newspapers either way. They keep making stuff up. :mad:

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Things have changed quite a bit in the last month. A month ago, the spill was still in the early stages and and we didn't know at that time that BP grossly underestimated the amount of oil being spilled. I know teams are being sent to clean up as we speak, so we don't know if they are not using hair mats.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Well, although it is a topic of discussion here, i think donating the dustings to the spill isn't such a bad idea, as it would already go down the drain :)

But cutting hair to donate it doesn't sound wise to me. You didn't lose that much length, i don't think you should feel bad. It will grow back in a few months :)

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
BP is NOT using hair in the spill. :-(

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2010, 03:11 AM
okay, just looked it up, and what I found was that the Coast Guard and BP are not accepting donations, however, I do not know if other organizations are participating in the cleanup. *shrugs*

The oil spill is stressing me out in general though.

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 03:22 AM
okay, just looked it up, and what I found was that the Coast Guard and BP are not accepting donations, however, I do not know if other organizations are participating in the cleanup. *shrugs*

I live in a Gulf state and the urban legend about hair being used has been debunked repeatedly. No one is using it.

lemonlife
June 14th, 2010, 03:28 AM
On the donation site it says:

6. Is BP using these booms?

No. BP's Critical Resources Materials Management Team contacted us on May 15th and they were very excited and produced a report for usage of our warehouses of donated natural fibers to protect the canals. On May 21st BP's Public Affairs department, who were not in contact with the Criticial Resources Dept until we introduced them, told us that BP wanted to apologize but that had enough of their own BP synthetic boom. Since then, Gulf municipalities and harbors are taking the donated natural fiber boom to protect their shores whereever they can. We want to thank BP Crtitical Resources Materials Management Team For Boom Acquisition for their forward ideas and to say that they were a pleasure to work with.

I really hope someone is using them. Otherwise this was a total waste for me. I wasn't pressured into it. And it's not like it won't grow back. But, dang it...

Gypsygirl
June 14th, 2010, 03:37 AM

Me, too... I've actually had nightmares about it and woke up crying. :(