PDA

View Full Version : Self-trim attempt

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Here you shall see why exams are bad for your health. I'd intended all along to trim my hair at around about this time of year, and recently decided that it would be best to leave my hair scissors here rather than take them on the plane home at the end of the month. Consequently, I decided that a self-trim attempt was in order before I go home, as I intend to reach either mid-back or waist and thenceforth maintain until I've gotten rid of my layers. I figured it was best to attempt it now, because if I woefully destroyed it I can visit my hairdresser in a few weeks. Had I waited till the fall to do it and discovered it was bad, I would have had to go to a hairdresser who didn't know me (not something I'm keen to do). I did Feye's straight-across trim, though used bands all the way down. Here are my pictures of the endeavour (ignore the mess in the background, I did laundry a couple days ago and haven't put any of it away):

before (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=11994)

before (banded) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=11995)

As you can see, the banded ponytail appears to veer to one side, and I don't know why that is, or if it indeed did so.

after (banded) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=11996)

after (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=11997)

It looks as though the left bit (bear in mind that I was only cutting off the very bottom of the V) is longer than the right.

I pulled the banded tail over my right shoulder to cut, and had an awkward angle from which I cut, as my hair is quite short. Could this account for the fact that I appear to have missed some hairs on the left? If so, should I repeat the procedure, pulling the tail to the left this time, should I wait to try again until my hair's longer in the fall, or should I hide my hair scissors and never bring them near my head again?

Although I'd been meaning to do this for some time, it was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing, as I was trying to read my notes on The Rape of the Lock, and, as often happens in these situations, my mind wandered and, because it wandered to my self-trimming, I had to trim immediately so I'd know if I can do it or not, otherwise I'd have been thinking about it whilst trying to concentrate on the notes. Therefore, exams are bad for your sanity and should be abolished :silly:

QueenBea
May 12th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Are you still unhappy with it? It looks like maybe your wave patterns are just making it look uneven; I have a lot of trouble with that. After a week, it may fall into place, or you may find you want another trim.

I'm no expert; I've been self-trimming since December because my hair is only a few inches past shoulder length and very thick and I KNOW from past experience that going to a salon will make them say, YOU NEED LAYERS! (which I FINALLY got rid of in December at my last haircut!) and they'll cut it so it only looks good straightened----

It usually takes me a couple of days to get it cut without odd stragglies--- I can't do it banded to cut yet; I just have to go around my head pulling out small sections and trimming the weird pieces sticking out at the bottom--evening it up a bit.

Best wishes,
Bea

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I don't mind it, I was just worried that it would be apparent to others that I'd done it, and I'd done it crooked. If you honestly don't think it looks that bad I might leave it.

Irishred
May 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I didn't start doing a banded style self trim until I got past waist. I have used Feye's method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) with sliding the tie down since I joined LHC. I was around BSL at the time.

I always pull my hair over one shoulder then RE-DO the tie(s) and pull the tail over the other shoulder. Then I do the front thing. Then I do the back (both sides) again. I don't think I have ever gotten a crooked hem this way but I may just be lucky too.

BTW With longer hair and using multiple ties, I use 2 or 3. I put them all on at the nape and slide them down. With 2 one goes at the half way point and the other at the bottom. With 3 I space the 1/3 apart. I use scrunciis not elastics.

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I didn't start doing a banded style self trim until I got past waist. I have used Feye's method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) with sliding the tie down since I joined LHC. I was around BSL at the time.

I always pull my hair over one shoulder then RE-DO the tie(s) and pull the tail over the other shoulder. Then I do the front thing. Then I do the back (both sides) again. I don't think I have ever gotten a crooked hem this way but I may just be lucky too.

BTW With longer hair and using multiple ties, I use 2 or 3. I put them all on at the nape and slide them down. With 2 one goes at the half way point and the other at the bottom. With 3 I space the 1/3 apart. I use scrunciis not elastics.

I was a bit tentative about sliding the tie down as I'm not the most co-ordinated. I also used more elastics than would otherwise be necessary as I have layers that like to escape and I wanted to more or less confine them. I should maybe invest in some scrunches (haven't had any since I was about ten) if you think it'll make a difference. If I still think it's bad in a week or so I'll try it over the other shoulder and the rest that you do.

tiny_teesha
May 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
i dont notice unevenness?

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM
i dont notice unevenness?

Yay, thanks for saying that! I probably have a heightened awareness of it because I was worried it would happen. If you don't actually notice it then I'm probably just blowing it out of proportion out of the worry that someone will see my hair down, me thinking it looks fine, and think 'she tried to cut her hair herself, and failed epically at it'

Irishred
May 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I was a bit tentative about sliding the tie down as I'm not the most co-ordinated. I also used more elastics than would otherwise be necessary as I have layers that like to escape and I wanted to more or less confine them. I should maybe invest in some scrunches (haven't had any since I was about ten) if you think it'll make a difference. If I still think it's bad in a week or so I'll try it over the other shoulder and the rest that you do.

First, Your cut looks good as it is. IF you are feeling self conscience about it get a fresh wash and look at it again. You may even consider :bigeyes: blowdrying your hair (lightly) to help smooth it a bit so you can get a better look at that you are doing. You have a nice wave and that can throw off perspective.

Now, just about trimming, my how-to's and why's:

I wouldn't worry about the layers that much. I have regrowth from shed I just ignore. If you are focusing on snipping just the ends, the layers aren't there anyway. If you are sliding the ties, I say yes, scrunchies would make a difference. I slide them 20-30 times in a single trim session and have one -need more- satin one I try to use (when DD hasn't lost it). When I slide them down I use both hands reaching over my head then down behind my back. I hope that helps to keep the tie more even.

I think the bigger thing is re doing the ties and pulling to the other side. I redo because pulling to one side puts tension on all the ties at that angle and you want to 'reverse' the effect. Pullling as little as possible on the tail also helps. Not sure how easy that is at your length though.

florenonite
May 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
First, Your cut looks good as it is. IF you are feeling self conscience about it get a fresh wash and look at it again. You may even consider :bigeyes: blowdrying your hair (lightly) to help smooth it a bit so you can get a better look at that you are doing. You have a nice wave and that can throw off perspective.

Now, just about trimming, my how-to's and why's:

I wouldn't worry about the layers that much. I have regrowth from shed I just ignore. If you are focusing on snipping just the ends, the layers aren't there anyway. If you are sliding the ties, I say yes, scrunchies would make a difference. I slide them 20-30 times in a single trim session and have one -need more- satin one I try to use (when DD hasn't lost it). When I slide them down I use both hands reaching over my head then down behind my back. I hope that helps to keep the tie more even.

I think the bigger thing is re doing the ties and pulling to the other side. I redo because pulling to one side puts tension on all the ties at that angle and you want to 'reverse' the effect. Pullling as little as possible on the tail also helps. Not sure how easy that is at your length though.

Thanks. I looked at it again and don't think it looks so bad, so I figure I'll leave it till I reach waist-length and then start trimming to get rid of the layers/V-shape, so I'll bear in mind all you've said here then.