PDA

View Full Version : wanting to dye over my highlights. need advice!

sensisweetie
June 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
so last month i thought it would be "fun" to transition to a lighter color for the summer, so i got some highlights. just a mini (very few only on my top layer) to give the color a test drive.
well anyways, thank tha lord i did not get any more then that, because i am over them already and really want my dark hair back... :o

so i was wondering..
what my options were as far as coloring over the highlights?

should i go to a salon or can i do it myself with some salon color from sallys?
should it be semi permanent or permanent? i want the stuff COVERED and my hair one solid, dark color... (think kourtney kardashian)

what can i do to prep my hair for being redyed? protien? moisture? ceramides?

btw: they are Aveda highlights and i specifically remember her
(the stylist that did them) say she was NOT using any bleach to lift my color. they are a honey color....

Toadstool
June 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I would definitely go back to the salon that did them. They will know what they used and what will work with it. NEVER try to fix colour at home, believe me I've tried. Dyeing dark over highlights often goes green. Good luck!

sensisweetie
June 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
eeek! that would suck.
do you think it would be okay if i went to ANOTHER Aveda salon to get it dyed or does it have to be the same stylist that did them?

i want to/already kinda did break up with my stylist..... lol

Toadstool
June 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM
LOL Well I've never been to an Aveda stylist - I live in darkest rural Wales where we don't have such things- but I would hope another one would be able to work out what s/he did.
I once had a hairdresser dye over my bleached hair and it went khaki green. Not a good look

hemolymph
June 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
LOL Well I've never been to an Aveda stylist - I live in darkest rural Wales where we don't have such things- but I would hope another one would be able to work out what s/he did.
I once had a hairdresser dye over my bleached hair and it went khaki green. Not a good look

Yeah.. be very careful about dying over high lights because they will turn green if there is no warmth in the dye.
I would go back to the salon and have them "paint" over the high lights with your natural color.