PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing it!!

christine1989
June 13th, 2010, 08:12 PM
After months of thinking about it I finally picked up some castor oil at Whole Foods today and am currently sitting here letting it soak in. It wasn't nearly as messy as I thought it would be and although I put a generous amount in, my hair dosen't look too greasy. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it and how long they kept it in before washing it out?

Yozhik
June 13th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I've only used coconut oil, but the idea should be the same; I usually leave it in overnight (I braid my hair in pigtails, and coat more over the tassels and braids. In the morning, I take a shower and wash it out.

I hope you enjoy it! I'm sure your hair will :)

sensisweetie
June 13th, 2010, 08:36 PM
yay for you!!! castor oil will be the next oil i buy.
from what i understand it makes your hair look thicker and promotes growth :cheese:

i hear it is great for lashes and brows too. :eyebrows:

mira-chan
June 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Castor oil is great. I can be too thick for some. I tend to dilute it with a lighter oil.

All pre-wash oils I leave in at least 2 hours to get the most benefit. Two hours to overnight is the pre-wash oiling range in general.

Elenna
June 14th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I've been mixing a little castor oil, glycerin, and conditioner with coconut oil. It's about a 1:1:3:4 ratio. The other items make the castor oil easy to wash out with either shampoo or conditioner. What a miracle! My ends are not dried out and brittle anymore. So like what Mira-Chan said about the castor oil being heavy, so the castor oil is diluted. You get all of the benefits.

I put that stuff on my face but later realized that it helped regrow my eyebrows. Do you know how important it is to have eyebrows?

DragonLady
June 14th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I tried castor oil, but it was so thick and gloppy I had trouble even spreading it around. And when I was done I had broken or shed hairs everywhere. I was worried that it was so rough to distribute that I was breaking my hairs, so I quit.

I may try it again diluted with something else.

Loreley
June 14th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I've read about castor oil. According to many people it makes hair grow faster if it's put on scalp. I don't know if it's true but I want to try it. :D

error
June 14th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Oh im so happy someone asked lol i was in a depressed im gonna clean the whole apartment phase so i literally left it on for three days letting it grease and soak wore it in a high rolled up bun and this is how my hair looked when i washed it out! http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/100E4263.jpg Sorry it is so off center but its not greasy at all! So soft and shiney! http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/100E4256.jpg I got the weird bottle of castor oil its a thick oil but its scentless and just gloopy . I swear by this stuff tho!

Dreams_in_Pink
June 14th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I once kept my head and scalp soaked in castor oil for almost a week (i was down with flu) i must admit i felt my hair way longer after i washed it out (which wasn't too easy) I don't know if it was just a "feeling" or a fact, since i don't measure hair.

little_acorn
June 14th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I've occasionally used castor oil and with good results :). The bulk of the time I use either Nightblooming's Triple Moon, jojoba or coconut oil.

What I would suggest is using conditioner to wash it out with followed by s/poo (if you use this) rather than just s/poo. I find its much easier to get it out this way.

Chestershire
June 14th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I've only used Olive oil and it works ok, but its really hard for me to get the oil out! Most of the times its still really greasy ._.

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I am very, very cautious about using any oil since a disastrous experience with olive oil.

My hair does fine without oil and can turn into a greasy, nasty, lanky mess with oil.

countryhopper
June 14th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Ooooh! I want to try it!

Where did you buy castor oil, and how does it compare in price to other oils?

yogachic
June 14th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I wish I hadn't thrown out the castor oil I had bought just to take to try to induce labor, oh was that a mistake, the stomach pains! I threw it out a year or two later, didn't know what I could possibley use it for.

SpinDance
June 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I am very, very cautious about using any oil since a disastrous experience with olive oil.

My hair does fine without oil and can turn into a greasy, nasty, lanky mess with oil.

I can understand being cautious, but do give oils a try. My hair hates olive oil and like yours, turns into a nasty, oily mess with just a couple of drops. However, I've had wonderful success with other oils. coconut and Shea butter do well for me as pre-wash treatments left on overnight, or to help protect braided hair while swimming. Fox's Shea Butter Cream is also something that my hair loves once in a while. I find it ironic that 2 oils that I haven't been successful using as after-wash leave in do well when blended into Fox's Shea Butter Cream.

I've not yet tried caster oil, as it is thick, but the idea of blending it may do the trick. Yet another thing to try when it's time for something new. It is so hard to do these experiments slowly! I want to try everything at once, but then I wouldn't know what is actually working/not working!

hemolymph
June 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
If you sleep with it in, do you put something over your hair to protect your pillow??

error
June 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
If you sleep with it in, do you put something over your hair to protect your pillow??
lol i just abuse pillow cases and throw em in the wash!

Dreams_in_Pink
June 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
lol i just abuse pillow cases and throw em in the wash!

me too! :o especially in summer, when it's too hot to sleep with a scarf on.

christine1989
June 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all of the responses! I used castor oil yesterday and again today. Even if it dosen't do anything for growth I love how soft and shiny it makes my hair and I am suprised that I can wash it out with only conditioner. :)