PDA

View Full Version : SLS-free = itching scalp?!

Svenja
June 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hello all,

I have always used shampoos with SLS and never had any problems. When I went home to Germany for a holiday I bought two different shampoos, which had been highly recommended. They are not only silicone-free but also without SLS.
I have used both of them now for 3 weeks or so, and my scalp is itching like mad! I also have little bumps on the scalp. First I thought I might have an allergy to one of the shampoos so I switched to the other one, which has different ingredients. The itching is still there. I remember I started my cone-free life with AO Honeysuckle which is also SLS-free (I think anyway, I don't have the bottle anymore). My scalp played up with AO, too. Itching, bumps, and all. Not even a vinegar rinse can help :(

I was now wondering what could cause this itching? The only thing these shampoos had in common are the lack of cones and the lack of SLS. As I have used other cone-free shampoos in the past and never had a itchy problem with them I have come to the conclusion that the lack of SLS can be a reason. Is this likely?

It's just so sad, as soon as I switch to something completely "good" for my hair my scalp spoils it.

*Aoife*
June 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Are you rubbing it in or just slopping it on your scalp? I'm asking because when I used to use a shampoo with SLS, I'd just slop it on my scalp and rinse it off a minute later. I tried doing the same with SLS-free shampoo and I had an awful flaky, itchy scalp because my hair wasn't getting cleaned enough.
Sorry if this isn't it. Scalp problems are awful!

x0h_bother
June 13th, 2010, 01:50 PM
First, it is important to know your scalp and what keeps it healthy. In my experience, going origanically SLS free (AO shampoo) did not keep my scalp healthy or happy. I too got an itchy scalp and scalp "buildup." I got bumps but they were dandruff-ish bumps. While I didn't flake any more than usual, my scalp health was greatly affected.
Also, when you talk of using cone-free and sls- free shampoos, the two are very different. It is generally recommended to use cone-free shampoo for scalp health. But as it was in my experience, many people find it hit or miss when going SLS free. I would recommend switching back to sls to see if there is any improvement.

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM
SLS free shampoos simply don't work for me. The first time I used an SLS free one, my shedding increased tremendously. After going back to SLS for 6 months, I tried another SLS free shampoo brand, and while I wasn't shedding like the first time, my scalp FREAKED out. It was so dry and flaky, I could scratch my bangs and I would "snow." And this was barely a day after I washed it.

SLS gets a bit of a bad rep, not all of it is deserved. Some people have a genuine sensitivity to sulfates, and it is good for them to avoid it. Even I can't use it every day, otherwise my scalp acts up in other ways. But I do use it every 2 or 3 days, and I haven't had any problems with that routine, and for a number of people, SLS is the best option for their scalps.

Svenja
June 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you both of you!

Aiofe, I usually gently rub the shampoo into my scalp. Not violently, only carefully with my fingertips. Afterwards I rinse very well (at least 5 to 10 min!) and do a vinegar rinse.

X0h Bother, I have vowed to wash my hair tomorrow morning with SLS shampoo. You know, I tried to take a step further into "natural hair care" but obviously my scalp does not like it. The cone-free life is great, but this itchy scalp is driving me mad. I wake up in the night scratching my head, and the other night I dreamed I had lice!

HintofMint (love the nick btw!!), thank you for that! I have always thought SLS are genuinely bad and must be avoided at all costs. Seems I have fallen for a bad reputation here.

mhiap
June 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I usually CO but I bought some of that Naked SLS free shampoo and my scalp hated it. It was itchy, dry, flaky and I couldn't stand it. I tried diluting it to about half with water, vinegar rinsing, possibly other stuff but I chad to stop using it.

I CWC with SLS shampoo every week or so which causes no problems. In fact if my scalp is itching SLS shampoo will usually sort it. It's quite annoying that sometimes we try to be good to our hair and it doesn't want to know!

x0h_bother
I agree with you Svenja and HintofMint, SLS gets a bad rep but it's really about finding what works, and healthy hair begins at the scalp :)

missjessiecakes
I love love love love love love sls and cones. But they work for me and my hair scalp combo.

SLS free lead to scalp sores, big gross bleedy things that would scab over and then fall off. This was over a period of three months. So I gave that a fair shake cones I can take or leave it really doesn't matter to my hair or scalp but I usually use them :)

buzzlegum
June 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I feel your pain. I tried a non-SLS shampoo about a month ago and it made my scalp flake like crazy. I'm kind of dandruff-prone but that time, there was like a PILE of flakes on the top of my head and everything itched. I had crust on my scalp, too. I used some anti-dandruff shampoos and my head looked better, but eventually, I decided it was just dried out scalp rather than dandruff because I achieved my best results since then by oiling my scalp with coconut oil prior to washing. Oh, and I think that non-SLS shampoos tend to contain alcohol and you may be sensitive to that.

Recently, I decided that shampoo is not all that important. We don't use much of it anyway, right? As long as you see no obvious side effects, just stick with it. Conditioner is what it's all about, though. :P

Sammich
June 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I usually CO but I bought some of that Naked SLS free shampoo and my scalp hated it. It was itchy, dry, flaky and I couldn't stand it. I tried diluting it to about half with water, vinegar rinsing, possibly other stuff but I chad to stop using it.

I CWC with SLS shampoo every week or so which causes no problems. In fact if my scalp is itching SLS shampoo will usually sort it. It's quite annoying that sometimes we try to be good to our hair and it doesn't want to know!

Yes, non SLS shampoo did not work for me. I also tried the naked one! The conditioner was great, but the shampoo... ick. It made my hair so soft though, it was just my scalp that hated it, it really annoyed me.
I use SLS now, and that's why I love SLS, it keeps the dandruff and itchies at bay for me. ;)

urara12
June 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I've had reacting with many shampoo which dosen't matter if it's sls free or not. but seems like tend to be more react with the SLS free which contain lot of natural ingredient.
now I am using Free & clear and no more itchy or small bump
around above neck area any longer.

hope your scalp itchy stop soon:)

teela1978
June 13th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I get bumps on my scalp too if I don't use a sulfate shampoo (sls or als). Nothing wrong with that :)

May
June 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Your scalp is probably itchy due to the build up of sebum because your shampoo is not cleaning properly. I think you should use what works and if that's SLS's and silicones then so be it.

Not everything "organic" or labeled "natural" is good for you and just because it's what people used to to back in the day doesn't mean we should be doing it now. :D

virgo75
June 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
This:

First, it is important to know your scalp and what keeps it healthy. In my experience, going origanically SLS free (AO shampoo) did not keep my scalp healthy or happy. I too got an itchy scalp and scalp "buildup." I got bumps but they were dandruff-ish bumps. While I didn't flake any more than usual, my scalp health was greatly affected.

And this:

SLS free shampoos simply don't work for me. The first time I used an SLS free one, my shedding increased tremendously.

I've tried SLS free shampoos and going CO. Both lead me to have horrible scalp issues even though I don't normally have scalp issues(dandruff, bumps, buildup, excessive shedding, ect.). But I had them all when going SLS free.

While SLS/Cone free may be a great idea in theory, it doesn't work for everyone. :shrug:

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Cone-free works for me big time. I love being cone-free. It's just the SLS thing that hates me.

mhiap + Sammich: I have used the Naked series in the past, too, and wasn't too keen on it either. The itching did not start immediately but it grew with time.

This morning I washed my hair with a Lush bar (full of SLS) and did a vinegar rinse afterwards. What can I say, my scalp stopped itching almost immediately. It's such a relief! Seems like my scapl want its SLS and so be it. As x0h bother said to truly, nice hair begins at the scalp. If my scalp wants SLS, it'll get SLS.

Thank you all for your contributions. It reliefs me that I am not the odd one out, whose scalp hates SLS-free.

Amelia
June 14th, 2010, 02:20 AM
You mentioned going home to Germany. Can you tell me what shampoos you bought there?

I've been SLS and cone free for over a month now. At first the same thing happened to me. My scalp was itchy as hell, and i didn't understand. Then i remembered reading something here in the forum, about doing a last SLS wash before going SLS free. After that wash it all got better. I'm SLS and cone free, my scalp doesn't itch anymore.At all!!!

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Hi Amelia,
I bought Alverde Glanzserie shampoo and conditioner, and Alverde Aloe Vera Hibiskussblüte shampoo and conditioner. They had been recommended to me, and as I cannot get them here in UK, I took the chance and got them when visiting my family. I cannot cope with either of them.
I have tried this "last SLS wash" thing and it di not work for me :(

Amelia
June 14th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Amelia,
I bought Alverde Glanzserie shampoo and conditioner, and Alverde Aloe Vera Hibiskussblüte shampoo and conditioner. They had been recommended to me, and as I cannot get them here in UK, I took the chance and got them when visiting my family. I cannot cope with either of them.
I have tried this "last SLS wash" thing and it di not work for me :(

Alverde was still aggressive to my scalp. I left it behind, and bought shampoos by Logona (ask you family, they can buy them at any Reformhaus*). These, i must say, did made the difference. I've been suffering for years with itchy scalp, and i now think it was because of the parfum, SLS and other stuff commercial shampoo have. The shampoo is called Bio Akazie by Logona. The same brand sells Ghassoul clay, and that had a serious role in my scalp becoming 'normal'.

If you get good results with SLS shampoos, so be it. Every head is different :)

*P.S.- i've just seen online and Logona is distribuited in the Uk as well. Just search for it ;)

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Thanks Amelia :)

Katze
June 14th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Your scalp is probably itchy due to the build up of sebum because your shampoo is not cleaning properly. I think you should use what works and if that's SLS's and silicones then so be it.

Not everything "organic" or labeled "natural" is good for you ...

I had serious buildup when I went shampoo free, and SLS free was not much better. My scalp seems to need regular 'deep cleaning' and my hair is mostly fine, so it gets waxy and disgusting without occasional (ever 1-4 weeks) sulfate washes.

It is not that it isn't GOOD for me, personally, but that my hair looks and feels better with occasional sulfate washing. I alternate sulfate and 'cone washes with WO washing, use lots of leave-in, do occasional light oilings and deep treatments, and seem to have found what works best for my fine, wavy, dryish hair and greasy, sensitive, flaky scalp.

It all seems to be a matter of trial and error, and I think it is best to TRY all kinds of things, but be willing to do something else if they do not work. :)

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Thanks Katze :) - I always go with the trial and error. The only thing I will noy try again are cones. I have found out that I need a clarifying wash every fortnight, because my hair becomes all limp and oily with all the treatments :)

julliams
June 14th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Is it possible that the ingredient replacing SLS is something that your scalp is reacting to? You may be allergic to this ingredient perhaps?

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Hi Julliams,

that's what I thought at first! So I compared the ingredients of all three products. The only thing they have in common is alcohol. So I assume the alcohol might be the culprit. Other than that they do not have ingredients in common.

Pixna
June 14th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I haven't tried these products, but what about the TRESemme Naturals line? I think they are supposed to have lowers sulfates but aren't sulfate free. Would something like that work for you?

Svenja
June 14th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Isn't TRESemme usually full of cones?

sweet*things
June 14th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I had the same problem. I went sulphate and cone free for six months and eventually the itchiness drove me insane! I have about 5 sets of products I'm using right now. Half are SLS free and half aren't and I switch every couple of washes. My scalp doesn't bother me at all anymore. :D

I'm still cone free, but I need SLS in my rotation, or my scalp rebels.

saskia_madding
June 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Man, did I ever have the same problem. I lost a lot of hair trying to figure out what to do about it.

Now I use borax water a the shampoo in CWC, with one or two drops of peppermint EO. That has almost completely taken away any itchiness!

I wrote about it extensively in the borax thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34619&highlight=borax), specifically this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=801458&postcount=3) indicates what happened when I went off SLS shampoos and what I tried to fix it.

I think I'm going to start a thread for scalp issues and possible causes later today. I'll post back here when I do that. :)