PDA

View Full Version : Combing hair trouble

Bller
June 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hello friends, long time no chatting, been quite busy with my final highschool exams and didn`t have the time to come around and show my hair progress. Well its almost BS length, it still needs an inch or two. My main problem is this. My hair is wavy in general, more at the tips than the rest, the problem is that if I wash it with normal shampoo, let it normal dry at room temperature. After it`s dried it looks clean and it`s a bit overall dry, but if I comb it thoroughly besides looking a bit longer, it feels weird at touch, I mean it seems oily and the hairs are like bonded together. I generally have greasy hair, and I use shampoo for oily/greasy hair. It dries the oils out ok, but it stays dry only if I DON`T comb it. Well, it ins`t that much of a problem for me not combing it, but i know that not combing it regular, it becomes unhealthy and breaks away. What do you suggest me to do ?

(http://www.dictionarenglezroman.ro/dictionar/thoroughly)

emmabovary
June 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Hi :)

Probably your scalp shock produces sebum because you're using strong shampoos on it. The reason it doesn't get greasy until you brush it is that brushing spreads the natural oils. I'd suggest trying to use a milder shampoo, and just finger combing it until the oil production settles down. Good luck!

Bller
June 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Well indeed that`s what i`m doing, like finger untangling it, and it looks pretty ok, but when i comb it it`s disaster looking + it`s now that wavy as it is uncombed and I absolutely hate straight hair. Well, I tried a few shampoos, I even tried some cheap but good nettle plant shampoo, it would do it`s job great, the problem is it would get my hair messy and very greasy in 2 3 days, the one I use now, keeps it dry a bit longer and doesn`t let it look greasy at all.
Oh btw I still use a nettle shampoo but it`s a bit more expensive than the other, in fact it`s Wash&Go if you ever used it.

spidermom
June 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
If you haven't cleaned your comb/brush lately, try that.

emmabovary
June 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Well, I would say just don't comb it :) I personally just detangle my curly hair in the shower and only comb or brush it dry if I'm smoothing it out for an updo. I haven't heard of not combing regularly causing breakage before.

Bller
June 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Well staying tangled and now being able to breath and grow free can`t be that healthy, plus me being a man i do get a few thumbs down from more or less important people, like my doctor that always tells me to brush my hair.

spidermom : Thanks for the tip, i clean my comb daily: wash it and drying it before i comb my hair.

Bller
June 13th, 2010, 09:13 AM
But I still hand comb it every time i wash it, so i might stick to that for a while, but if this will continue, what will I do when it grows longer? I probably do need to trim my tips, it`s been about a year since I cut a hair out of my head, although I trim the split ends every week or so just to be sure it won`t get messy in time.

emmabovary
June 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Maybe if you combed it thorougly in the shower (with lots of conditioner in it) it would be tangle-free enough to not encourage any thumbs down? :) A trim might be help too. You said your hair likes to "bond together", could be velcro ends from damage.

Bller
June 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, my ends are pretty messed up, I thought I was a bad comber, wait until you see my mother in action, ripping my frigin` hair out of my scalp, whilst she "combs it the way it should be combed". I thought I should trim a bit of the ends, but i`m scared to put this to my mom, she`ll tell me to cut out ALL my hair, not just the ends if I go to the hairdresser, and i`m scared doin` it myself. I regulary trim the split ends by myself but no more than that.

Capybara
June 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Could you comb it directly before the shower (to get the tangles out beforehand), then maybe use a wide toothed comb in the shower? That way, it will still dry how you like it :)

Bller
June 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Yeah, I will try this right the way, i`m getting myself a shower right now :). Thank You !

Fiferstone
June 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
You are combing starting from the ends up, right, and not "pulling" through any tangles you find but carefully picking them apart, right?

I too would wonder if the brush needs a cleaning, and I think that the harsh oil-control shampoos are stripping your scalp dry, encouraging it to over-produce sebum.

You might want to try a very weak dilution of apple cider vinegar (about a capful) in a bottle of water (same amount of water as you'd get for a bottled beverage) as a rinse after you shampoo. The acid in the vinegar will help to restore the pH of your scalp, so that it's less dry, so that you have less of an oily scalp problem. Distilled white vinegar will work for this as well.

Be careful with the amount of vinegar, too much vinegar can make the hair looks stringy and greasy, but I've found that a weak dilution makes my hair very shiny. :).

Hope that helps.

embee
June 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I do not like combing *in* the shower, because of hair going (or not going) down the drain, and making a problem in the shower drain. I prefer to comb/brush thoroughly *before* getting in the shower.

Very gentle wash with very dilute shampoo, rinse very well.

I find if I shampoo frequently my hair gets greasy faster. Also if I use strong shampoo. It seems backwards to use weaker/dilute shampoo for greasier hair, but that's what works best for me.

Bller
June 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
You are combing starting from the ends up, right, and not "pulling" through any tangles you find but carefully picking them apart, right?

I too would wonder if the brush needs a cleaning, and I think that the harsh oil-control shampoos are stripping your scalp dry, encouraging it to over-produce sebum.

You might want to try a very weak dilution of apple cider vinegar (about a capful) in a bottle of water (same amount of water as you'd get for a bottled beverage) as a rinse after you shampoo. The acid in the vinegar will help to restore the pH of your scalp, so that it's less dry, so that you have less of an oily scalp problem. Distilled white vinegar will work for this as well.

Be careful with the amount of vinegar, too much vinegar can make the hair looks stringy and greasy, but I've found that a weak dilution makes my hair very shiny. :).

Hope that helps.

I will try out the vinegar solution, it sounds like just the thing i need.
Thank you !

Bller
June 19th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I do not like combing *in* the shower, because of hair going (or not going) down the drain, and making a problem in the shower drain. I prefer to comb/brush thoroughly *before* getting in the shower.

Very gentle wash with very dilute shampoo, rinse very well.

I find if I shampoo frequently my hair gets greasy faster. Also if I use strong shampoo. It seems backwards to use weaker/dilute shampoo for greasier hair, but that's what works best for me.

I don`t know if the shampoo i use are quite doing the thing that they say on the label. They`re pretty cheap, heavy advertised shampoo like wash&go Pantene etc, these are the only ones i can find around here, oh and other ones cheaper but those really don`t do a thing. About combing, after a bit of a read i found what i think is the root of my problem :

Me not shampooing right. When i wash my hair, i put like some shampoo in my palm and massage the scalp with it for a minute, then i rinse it with water, afterward i put shampoo again in my palm and here comes the problem, i put all my hair on top of the head and just saturate it with the shampoo until it`s all covered with shampoo, i let it for half a minute, then rinse all of it with water. Then the second bad thing i do, is get out of the shower, get a towel, and rub my head with it. I should not do this in the future, and maybe my ends wont tangle that much, and the hair won`t look so bad after combing. Also i`ll try out conditioning it, i`ll read about doing this and give it a try. Wish me luck ! And thank you for the tips !

Fiferstone
June 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Bller:

DILUTE the shampoo before putting it on your head. SpiderMom has found that diluting the shampoo has two benefits: 1. It lasts longer ;) and 2. It cuts down on the aggressiveness of the cleaning (less stripping of your scalp, again).

and STOP piling your hair on your head while shampooing! STOP RIGHT NOW.

Torrin Page gives a great tutorial on how to wash your hair the right way:

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/34/zzEjdmXaUUU

Definitely watch her videos, she's very knowledgeable. She also speaks very clearly, which I think is helpful if English is a second language.

jane53
June 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I find that combing my hair with any comb, even a seamless wide-tooth comb, causes breakage.

No combing for me ever.

Mae
June 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Are you conditioning after you shampoo? I find that when I shampoo only with a less-than-gentle shampoo, my hair gets that weird sort-of-greasy, sort-of-dry and tangly feel. Applying conditioner from the ears down makes hair feel less greasy and gives it slip.

Bller
June 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Are you conditioning after you shampoo? I find that when I shampoo only with a less-than-gentle shampoo, my hair gets that weird sort-of-greasy, sort-of-dry and tangly feel. Applying conditioner from the ears down makes hair feel less greasy and gives it slip.

That`s exactly the feel i get too. And no i never used conditioner only for my ends, i tried 2 in 1 conditioner + shampoo product once, and stopped right away after reading some thing here. And getting a separate conditioner i didn`t. I`ll have to go buy one ASAP. I`ll try out the ears down tip and i`ll let you know the effects, wish me luck and thank you for the tip !

Bller
June 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I find that combing my hair with any comb, even a seamless wide-tooth comb, causes breakage.

No combing for me ever.

I generally use plastic combs which i know are bad, but never get the time to get myself a wooden wide tooth comb. I`ll have to stop by the supermarket and look for one.

Bller
June 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hey Bller:

DILUTE the shampoo before putting it on your head. SpiderMom has found that diluting the shampoo has two benefits: 1. It lasts longer ;) and 2. It cuts down on the aggressiveness of the cleaning (less stripping of your scalp, again).

and STOP piling your hair on your head while shampooing! STOP RIGHT NOW.

Torrin Page gives a great tutorial on how to wash your hair the right way:

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/34/zzEjdmXaUUU

Definitely watch her videos, she's very knowledgeable. She also speaks very clearly, which I think is helpful if English is a second language.

Thank you, definitely this will help. And about the diluting the shampoo, i read something about putting 1/3 shampoo 2/3 water in a spray bottle and that does the trick so good.