PDA

View Full Version : question about thin look hair.

urara12
June 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I 'd like to know if hair get longer, hair looks thin?
my circumference of my pony is about 4 inch without bang.
the circumference is same since last year when I started to measure it.
however my hair looks so thinning when my hair get longer esp when it's hit BSL . I am Asian and very straight hair.
everybody looks so much hair than me even who has Type ii hair from this board's pic.

thank you for reading my post.:)

dropinthebucket
June 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Mine's less than 2 in ponytail. Sounds like your hair is already nice and thick and will look great long!! :)

urara12
June 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
dropinthebucket,:) thank you very much for your responce.
but ...my hair looks flat TV thin look:(

I wonder if I am measuring wrong way???
make pony tail and measure at root's right?

Honestwitness
June 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM
My hair is BSL and has a lot of taper at the ends. It looks very thin for about the last 3 or 4 inches. I think it's because it breaks easily.

If I scrunch it with water, it curls up and the thinness is somewhat disguised.

urara12
June 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Honestwitness:)thank you very much for your reply.
Ummmm I guess I need trim as my end is really thin look and
not even line.

urara12
June 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM
now I am wonder that where shold I measure the pony?
after made pony.
scalp side theElastics ? or toward to end side of the Elastics?
or I can just make pony by tape measure?

Oskimosa
June 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
There shouldn't be a huge variation between measurements either side of the elastic. You can also get different readings depending on other factors; how clean/dirty your hair is, if it's been brushed well, what you washed with...

We're all our own worst critics. Maybe you need a small trim to even it up? Or perhaps you are growing out alot of layers? Your hair will only look thin on the ends if you have a ton of damage and breakage.

urara12
June 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Oskimosa thank you so much for your reply.:)

>perhaps you are growing out alot of layers?

Oskimosa, YES!! my hair had layers ( last spring)
then I am growing out and I have't cut my hair since last July.

I just got out from big shed time so I am bit freak out
that my hair look so thin and flat to me like sushi seaweed.....
also my hair texture is changed.
I had midium coarse and lot frezz hair before. I have to use pin to hold some hair to calm down. but now my hair so straight and flat.good part is look more shine and feel silky before. however I am not used to have this texture.but look no volume:(

McFearless
June 12th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Post a photo!
I think you are just being hard on yourself. I have yet to see an Asian with bad hair. I dont think it is even possible. :)

urara12
June 12th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Post a photo!
I think you are just being hard on yourself. I have yet to see an Asian with bad hair. I dont think it is even possible. :)

McFearless, thank you very much for your reply.
I don't know how to post pic here.I will search it and figured it out :)

oh!!McFearless I am the one of Asian had bad hair... coarse and frezz
but had volume. now silky shine NO volume:(

>you are just being hard on yourself

you might be right because
the long shedding time gave me so paranoia about how much I have hair....I am bit feel right as you said so.
McFearless thank you :)

jera
June 13th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Asian hair is usually thick and beautiful with good shine and slip. I'm surprised to hear you have frizz issues. Do you oil your hair at all? It can help with frizz issues.
My hair does look thinner as it grows longer but that's because it tapers. And I don't have your four inch ponytail cicumference. Wish I did. :)

urara12
June 13th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Asian hair is usually thick and beautiful with good shine and slip. I'm surprised to hear you have frizz issues. Do you oil your hair at all? It can help with frizz issues.
My hair does look thinner as it grows longer but that's because it tapers. And I don't have your four inch ponytail cicumference. Wish I did. :)

hi!jera. thanks for your post :)
yes my hair was frizz . I know many Asian who has soft natural curl too. no I don't do oil treatment because I get react with oil even jojoba oil.
now my hair is no frizz and no soft wave any longer,
it's made less volume look. I hate thick straight hair like thread...:mad:

Fractalsofhair
June 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
One possible thing I thought of is how are you wearing your hair? If you are wearing it in a bun, it will help prevent damage. Damaged hair looks thinner, even if it doesn't feel damaged.

Also, what is a pin? Do you mean a flat iron? Flat irons can make your hair look really thin and damaged, but it will grow out!

SpeakingEZ
June 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Also, what is a pin? Do you mean a flat iron?

I took that to mean bobby pines, to hold down the hair. Could be wrong.

OP, I think once you grow out those layers you will feel much better about your hair. When most of your hair is to your hemline, you will see how thick it really is-- a 4 inch circumference is what I dream of.

x0h_bother
June 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
This is all completely my opinion, and I hate to say it, but curlier hair means more frizz prone hair. It makes sense that your hair is both less curly and less frizzy. The question is, which came first? I would suspect a lack of curl. As a 2a and if you are growing out layers, you may have less weight on your top layers which allows them to be more curly. But as they grow out they may be getting longer and more weighed down and straighter. Not to minimize the fact that I'm sure you are taking better care of your hair, but the straighter your hair gets the less frizzy it will look. And as your hair gets longer and less curly, it will have less volume, thus making it appear less thick. This is all my opinion so if others disagree you can chime in.

Also, if your head really did shed and thinned instead of breaking, meaning shed directly from the scalp, two things would happen. One, you would probably be getting little sprouts of hair growing in, and two, the whole head of hair would feel thinner. So if just the ends are thinning then there are many good explanations said on here like breakage and layers.

Yozhik
June 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'd love to see a photo of your hair! I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as you think it looks, and actually quite pretty!

I think Asian hair is the prettiest :)

And a 4 inch circumference is certainly nothing to sneeze at! Mine is not nearly as thick . . .

urara12
June 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
One possible thing I thought of is how are you wearing your hair? If you are wearing it in a bun, it will help prevent damage. Damaged hair looks thinner, even if it doesn't feel damaged.

Also, what is a pin? Do you mean a flat iron? Flat irons can make your hair look really thin and damaged, but it will grow out!

Fractalsofhair:) thanks for your reply.
yes, I am wearing it in a burn with not tight.
I mean pin is just flat hair pin.
I guess I am too worry.... but it's really depressed.

urara12
June 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
SpeakingEZ thanks for your reply:)

>OP, I think once you grow out those layers you will feel much better about your hair. When most of your hair is to your hemline, you will see how thick it really is-- a 4 inch circumference is what I dream of

thank you veru much for you say so.I feel much better.
I don't have friend whom I can talk about hair....so your post make my feel calm down.

urara12
June 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
x0h_bother, thanks so much for your reply:)

>may be getting longer and more weighed down and straighter. Not to minimize the fact that I'm sure you are taking better care of your hair,
but the straighter your hair gets the less frizzy it will look. And as your hair gets longer and less curly, it will have less volume, thus making it appear less thick. This is all my opinion so if others disagree you can chime in.

that's what I thought at first. getting longer more makes look
weight down.
I just made appointment to trim later tonight. I would trim just
half inch. but half inch might be not enough to see change.

>if your head really did shed and thinned instead of breaking, meaning shed directly from the scalp,

yes. all my shed from scalp because it has bulb.

> One, you would probably be getting little sprouts of hair growing in,

I see lot short hair around my temple also I shed a lot very short hair lilke 3-4 inch.

urara12
June 13th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I'd love to see a photo of your hair! I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as you think it looks, and actually quite pretty!

I think Asian hair is the prettiest :)

And a 4 inch circumference is certainly nothing to sneeze at! Mine is not nearly as thick . . .

Yozhik. thank you very much for your post.
I am really confused and paranoia.
I had scalp pain and had very long shedding time since last year. but it was cause reacting with shampoo and conditioner
( include nioxin, I also react with many essential oil etc ) but I didn't notice it and just thinking to
I might be bald in the future soon.
my scalp got much much better since I start to use Free & Clear shampoo. but I still feel paranoia I guess.
I never worry or even thought about hair loss before untill
I start google about hair shed . many site tells about hair loss women..alopecia...
since then I just can't stop to think about hair loss.

also couple month ago I figured out ( by TV news )
lost of freind's husband ( very very sad way ) .the news was very shocked to me .

and I've been having bit stressful life since couple years ago.
( my parent's divorce and now I have to take care of my mother) so many thing going on......which I never thought about it. I never had deppression in my life,
so even I don't know if this hair lose paranoia is cause depression ? or I might be loosing hair in real.
I went to see Dermatologist and she told me I don't have alopecia.I didn't have biopsy. she just grab my hair all over and pull with strong.
only one hair come out. also she took look my scalp very well with scoop glass's.

but she told me that my face line area around bang is bit thin.she told me to use Rogaine.

Yozhik
June 13th, 2010, 03:59 PM
My guess is that since you do have a lot of stressors right now in your life (and in your recent past), this is probably what's causing your shed. I know it's difficult advice to follow, but try to think positively. Worrying doesn't help. Also, try to eat well, with a lot of vitamins.

You might want to do some more research before starting Rogaine. From what I understand (although I could be incorrect, and someone please correct me if this is the case), rogaine only helps retain the hair that you have by not letting them be shed. Which means that as soon as you stop using rogaine, the hair that you have kept by using the product may fall out (which means you might have to continue using it for the rest of your life). There have also been reports by women using rogaine of getting dark hair growth on their foreheads (although this is rare), when they were trying to get their hairline to thicken.

This is just information I gathered from looking at a few articles and personal statements online. I'm sure you can find better research if you look into it more.

Whatever decision you make, good luck!

And I hope that your life gets a little bit less stressful and that you begin to start feeling better about your hair :flowers:

urara12
June 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Yozhik:)thanks for reply again.
I will be careful with rogaine. I bought it but I haven't use it yet.

I add my pic at album.
it's look I have hair but more flat thin look now...

Yozhik. thank you very much again for your hart warming post.