PDA

View Full Version : Still wet - 4 hours later! How long does it take your hair to dry?

Speckla
June 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I cowashed and squeezed the excess water out. It's still very damp 4 hours later.

UltraBella
June 12th, 2010, 06:23 PM
My hair stays damp all day sometimes...... It gets annoying.

marikamt
June 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Depends.... if it is up, I can wash at noon, put it up in a bun, and I come home from work at 11:00 pm, it is between wet and damp.... I am not sure if it is down, how long it takes, a few hours I am sure

klcqtee
June 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
If my hair is down all day, the under layers are still damp 7 hours later. If I put my hair up while still a little drippy it's wet until I take it down again. I did this camping once. Showered the morning we left, put it up. Didn't take it down for FOUR DAYS, took it down, still wet. Smelled a little musty too, whoops.

angelthadiva
June 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
If it's put up wet it will still be wet when I bring it down. Down to dry? Hours, sometimes all day depending on the temperature.

heidihug
June 12th, 2010, 08:10 PM
If it's put up wet it will still be wet when I bring it down. Down to dry? Hours, sometimes all day depending on the temperature.
I'm on par with AtD - at least several hours if left down. It can be damp for days if it's up most of the time.

Speckla
June 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
It's been a little over 6 hours now and the ends are dry but my roots and midway up my length is still damp.

trillcat
June 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I dry my hair down, and it takes about 4/5 hours for it to completly dry with my fine a bit beyond BSL hair.

kwaniesiam
June 12th, 2010, 08:40 PM
About 2 minutes :D

When my hair was long, it would be dry in under an hour. One of the perks of having fine, thin hair.

Cheeks1206
June 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Even with my hair still being fairly short (SL unstretched), it takes hours for it to dry. I'm generally out of the shower by 0630 and won't be fully dry until 1130-1200. Of course, that is with product, I'm not sure how quickly my hair dries without it. I find it to be really irritating.

ScrimHazard
June 12th, 2010, 09:03 PM
About one hour and fifteen minutes if I comb it and leave it down. My hair is pretty thin though...

aksown
June 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM
About 6 hours to completely dry. And it's fine and not that thick.

rosek
June 13th, 2010, 01:15 AM
If I oil before washing, or use too much leave-in I find my hair takes even longer to dry than normal. By the time it gets damp, I find sitting in the sun for a few minutes really helps to get it most of the way to 'dry'. I washed this morning, and its dry now (5pm). Its been down most of the day, and in winter sunlight for around an hour.

Merlin
June 13th, 2010, 01:26 AM
One of our neigbours when I was younger who had thick mid-thigh hair worked as cabin crew for an airline - she used to say that she couldn't wash her hair for the week when she was on call because she wasn't allowed to have wet hair at work and it took all day to dry - so she couldn't be able to make the 3 hour call window.

She still counts as having had the best very long hair I've seen IRL

jera
June 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM
My hair is just medium, but long, and it takes 4 to 5 hours to dry completely. :)

Loreley
June 13th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I wash it, then put it in a towel turban. Then I let it air-dry when it's down. It takes about 6 hours. But it depends on the season. In winter I wash it in the early evening and it dries by midday next day.

Gumball
June 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM
It easily takes over an hour if it's air drying, but if it's up somehow then it stays in some level of dampness throughout the day. An example is putting it up in a braided bun, then sleeping in a braid, which makes me wake up with a still damp braid.

Pixna
June 13th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I dry my hair down. It can take at least 4 hours to fully dry up to the roots. I usually go to bed with my hair slightly damp (I wash it at night) and by morning it is fully dry. If I comb my hair fairly frequently while it is drying, it will drying more quickly. If I just let it air dry without combing at all, it will take longer. That is probably one reason why your hair is taking so long, since, as a curly, I'm guessing that you don't comb it at all while it is drying, so air can't get beneath the canopy very easily.

Arniky
June 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM
time for drying depends on the season rainy season takes more time hot summer may be 2/3 hours. if required soemtimes blow dry it for quick drying.

Wally
June 13th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Mine takes at least 8 hours to dry completely.

drquartz1970
June 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM
about 2 hours in a warm room.

virgo75
June 13th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Mine can take anywhere from 3 to 9 hours depending on what I put in it and how I dry it.

If I use a lot of leave-in conditioner it takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r, but my hair is curly and prone to being dry so I use it anyway.

I've found that using a couple of t-shirts makes it dry MUCH faster. I'll use one straight out of the shower then after about 15-20 minutes I'll use a different one. It cuts the drying time almost in half.

Oh yeah, and the 3 hour drying time is strictly using Aveda products. For some reason they let my hair dry really quickly. :shrug:

emma907
June 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM
In the current climate I'm living in, the humidity level is so high that my hair at one point didn't dry completely before I washed it again, - then, it was tied up when it was wet.

My hair seems to take forever to dry.... *sigh*...

jane53
June 13th, 2010, 07:24 AM
My hair stays wet all day because I have to wear it back or up to work.

It's a bit less annoying if I wash it at night.

I never use a hair dryer.

I live in a massively humid climate now. When I visit less humid places, the drying time is so pleasant!

30isthenewblack
June 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one with this problem. My hair takes about four hours to dry as well. It's very annoying because if I'm going out anyway, I have to wash my hair about four hours before. My hair ahem ... seems to dry quicker on public transport and in the car :eyebrows:

Sammich
June 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM
3 or 4 hours.
Blowdrier = 20. :p

GRU
June 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Anywhere from 5-9 hours, depending on temperature and humidity level. If I put it up when wet, I don't think it would ever dry! (I'm afraid to try it to find out.)

windinherhair
June 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Just a couple hours or less but I have to leave it down during that time. If I put it up then it will stay damp. Something I am very thankful for!

jjgammon
June 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah... FOREVER.

If I leave it down, it takes 6-8 hours to look dry, but it's still damp underneath. Even when it's "dry" it's still sticky-damp for a day or two and doesn't get back to silky dry for about 3 days... If I use any sort of chemical/product on it it can take a week to look silky again, thus the vinegar rinse only routine...

Once when I was younger I washed it when I woke up and put it up in a bun and it was still wet wet when I took it down to go to bed...

If I braid it wet, it takes about two days but I end up with the prettiest waves...

xladolcevitax
June 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Wow I had no idea it takes so long for some hair to dry! It must be such a pain.

Mine only takes about 10 minutes. Thin and fine hair does have its advantages after all :)

mhiap
June 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Mine takes about 5 hours, unless it's a very warm day(rare!), when it might dry in 1 or 2. That is with it down, but it goes all frizzy unless I put it up. So obviously it takes longer then. If I wash it in the morning and keep it up all day it will still be damp when I go to bed.

In2wishin
June 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM
If it is humid out it will take about 5 hours and about 3 hours if low humidity. If I put my hair in a bun when wet it has taked more that 24 hours to dry.

Yozhik
June 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
For me, 1-3 hours, depending on the weather and if I've put in any leave-in conditioner. It's at APL+ now, though, so I wonder how long it will take when it's longer . . .

Amelia
June 14th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I've said this in another thread already. I'm a freak. Mine can take up to two days to be completely dry. :couch:

lillithnight
June 14th, 2010, 05:19 AM
At least 8 hours, sometimes its as much as 12+. And at barly shoulder length curly if i put it in a pony tail when wet it can take 24-30 hours to dry all the way. Then again my hair has low porosity so when things get into my hair it doesn't want to let it go. I wash my Cowash my hair and detangle every 3rd day because it would drive me crazy otherwise. Oh and my scalp starts feeling yucky day 3 and gets more annoying the longer it neglect washing it.

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Mine takes about 5 hours, unless it's a very warm day(rare!), when it might dry in 1 or 2. That is with it down, but it goes all frizzy unless I put it up. So obviously it takes longer then. If I wash it in the morning and keep it up all day it will still be damp when I go to bed.

Warm days here are worse. 99 degrees at 100% humidity doesn't dry hair!

Jezzie
June 14th, 2010, 05:44 AM
At waist it used to take overnight, unbraided.
Now at APL its about 1-2 hrs depending on the weather.
I tend to always dry it loose if I can because I find it easier to then put up later.

Igraine
June 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
5-6 hours when loose, or overnight. But then again, it's not that humid here and my hair is pin-straight.

heidihug
June 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mine only takes about 10 minutes. Thin and fine hair does have its advantages after all
xladolcevitax, I have fine-ish and thin hair, too. It's just the length that hinders its drying. That, and the fact that I never, ever comb or brush my hair until it's fully dry; so, unless I finger-comb it constantly while it's drying, it hangs there in little damp clumps for hours.

HairColoredHair
June 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
All day when up (and usually I have to take it down for it to dry) and many hours when down (by which I mean braided).

... And that's why I don't wash daily. My head would always be wet.

msdespondent
June 14th, 2010, 07:44 AM
3-4 hours thereabouts. My hair is APL and I dry it down. It takes longer I have a leave-in conditioner. I find sitting right under my ceiling fan useful if I want to do an updo shortly after my wash. I try not to tie it up damp or wet. I've read of others getting fungus growing on their scalp because of perpetually damp hair.

rags
June 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I have baby fine and thin hair, but it's only *almost* BSL. It takes about two hours to get mostly dry when down. If I put it up wet, it will take 8 - 12 hours. When it's longer, it takes about 4 hours or so to dry down.

freckles
June 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Today I timed it :)
It was dry at pretty much dead on two hours after getting out of the shower. That's if extra water is squeezed out in shower, it's wrapped in a t-shirt for 10 mins, and then down to dry with fingercombing :)

hemolymph
June 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
About an hour if I leave the house, more if I stay indoors. I have kinda thick hair.

Beatrice
June 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM
It's starting to vary with me, now that I'm experimenting with oil and heavier conditioning. Left down and combed through, my hair takes 3-4 hours to dry. Pulled back--basically it never dries. When I bobbed my hair last year, I realized after it was washed that it was long enough to donate, so they cut a wet ponytail. A couple days later, my grandma went to the same salon and saw my ponytail left out to dry, still damp.

Sieren
June 14th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I have a feeling I'm going to have this problem when my hair is longer...right now its at shoulder length and takes about an hour at least to fully air-dry! Sometimes when its windy outside, I go shake my hair around in the wind to speed up the drying---because that is technically still air-drying, right? hehe ;)

gossamer
June 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Ugh, yes. The drying time is my least favorite aspect of washing my hair. When it was still tailbone, or even classic, I'd wash it at night, go to bed, wake up with it just damp, and bun it for the rest of the day, during which it may or may not have dried before I washed it again that night.

I try to wash it during the day now, only every 3-4 days, since I can't stand sleeping with it down anymore (tangles and boyfriend trapping me by rolling onto it). Left down, it probably takes 5-6 hours. The scalp and ends dry quickly, but the hair from the nape of my neck on downwards takes forever. And leaving it down to dry means I can't do anything too involved because it will inevitably catch on something or get tangled.

Bah.

squiggyflop
June 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
hmmm.. well in the winter it can take hours and hours... in the summer it takes just 2 hours or so..

when my hair was houlder length it dried in 15 minutes..

BunnyBee
June 14th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hours if I don't do anything to it. Only one hour if I detangle (in the summer).
If it's up it'll stay damp 'til I let it down <_<

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
hmmm.. well in the winter it can take hours and hours... in the summer it takes just 2 hours or so..

when my hair was houlder length it dried in 15 minutes..

Well, THAT'S a clear regional distinction! You're in Connecticut and I'm in Alabama. Hair dries faster in the winter here. In the summer, when it's 99 degrees and 100% humidity, it NEVER dries!

twilight_faerie
June 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Surprisingly quickly, actually. After an hour, it's mostly dry. After two, it's pretty much completely dry. That's only if it's down, though. If I put my hair up immediately after washing, it'd never dry.

hoolahooper
June 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
i do WO, and shammy brush. My fine but thick hair dries in an hour. I think the shammy dries it so much faster

punkcatknitter
June 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I was once dunked completely under water in a pool and my hair was completely dry about ten minutes later. It doesn't seem to get really wet unless squeezed, so that quick dunk under the water barely dampened the surface.

But when my hair is totally wet (after shower, ect) it seems to take forever. I remember my mom braiding my butt length hair as a kid so I'd have curly hair and we'd have to leave it in 2 nights for it to dry the whole way through. I'm surprised it didn't mildew. :)

CaliforniaAnne
June 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
My hair used to dry extremely fast (took an hour or less). However lately, it's been taking up to 5 hours. The only thing I can think of is that I moved from a drier climate to a slightly damper one (although you can't feel the difference), so that must be it. My hair has grown, but I can't imagine that's the reason.

Arctic_Mama
June 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM
If my hair is down and loose it is wet when I go to sleep and damp when I wake up ten hours later, even with my pillow absorbing moisture! I washed my hair last night and it has been in a bun all day. If I take that bun down, it will be damp in the middle still. Very normal for fine, thick hair :)

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM
If my hair is down and loose it is wet when I go to sleep and damp when I wake up ten hours later, even with my pillow absorbing moisture! I washed my hair last night and it has been in a bun all day. If I take that bun down, it will be damp in the middle still. Very normal for fine, thick hair :)

Ten hours of sleep? :agape: I am sooooooo jealous!!!!

Long_hair_guy
June 15th, 2010, 06:56 AM
1/2 hours if its hot like today but if its cold its takes forever.

If I braid my hair it normally takes twice has long

Johanna64
June 15th, 2010, 06:59 AM
My fine hair dries in a few hours,but when I put it up it takes about a day :)

Nikki-Jade
June 16th, 2010, 08:40 PM
My hair takes about 2 hours to dry when its out but when i put it up it can still be wet the next morning

kira33
June 18th, 2010, 06:36 AM
My hair generally takes all day to dry. I usually put it in a low ponytail (can't stand wearing it down) and wait for it to dry before braiding or putting it up. If I'm going to a social event, interview, etc. I usually wash the day before to avoid the all day wetness and the big wet spot on the back of my shirt:-)

NorthernDancer
June 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Normally 1/2 to 1 hour. Sometimes as much as two hours, but it's normally pretty quick.

I wonder if it's better or worse to have hair that dries quickly???

slythwolf
June 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Usually it takes around four hours to dry with it down. But I live in humid Michigan. When I visited my sister in Arizona, it was TBL (about 8" longer than it is now), and it took half an hour to dry.

slythwolf
June 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I wonder if it's better or worse to have hair that dries quickly???

I read somewhere that the faster it dries, the less damaged it is, but I'm not sure how true that is. I'm sure it would also depend on texture and thickness.

Cheeks1206
June 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I read somewhere that the faster it dries, the less damaged it is, but I'm not sure how true that is. I'm sure it would also depend on texture and thickness.

I've actually read the opposite. From what I read, texture and thickness do make a difference, but porosity plays a big roll as well. Hair that is higher in porosity soaks up water readily, but doesn't hold on to it, and is generally damaged. High porosity hair dries much quicker than normal or low porosity because the cuticle is raised and the moisture escapes more easily. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and explain it better or correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: I guess I should add that I'm not stating if your hair only takes 30 minutes to dry it's damaged, just that faster drying time doesn't always equate to healthy hair.

little_cherry
June 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
It takes my just past shoulder length hair approximately 4 hours to dry fully... :eek:

GRU
June 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I've actually read the opposite. From what I read, texture and thickness do make a difference, but porosity plays a big roll as well. Hair that is higher in porosity soaks up water readily, but doesn't hold on to it, and is generally damaged. High porosity hair dries much quicker than normal or low porosity because the cuticle is raised and the moisture escapes more easily. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and explain it better or correct me if I'm wrong.

I think this is true -- my ends dry insanely fast (even though they are slathered with full-strength conditioner as a leave-in) compared to the rest of my hair, and the ends are really pretty crinkly and damaged.

Boudicca
June 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
10 minutes.

mwedzi
June 20th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I cannot dry my hair loose. I have to put it in many twists to dry to keep it from shrinking and tangling. So it takes a long time to air dry. Usually at least 6 hours, but more often like 10+. This is one of the reasons I prefer to blow dry now.

julliams
June 20th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Today it took about 5 hours for my hair to completely dry from dripping wet. It's winter here but it was around 19 - 20 degrees celcius indoors. My hair dried with relatively no frizz compared to other times which I have to attribute to the extra water in my hair as normally I squeeze it all out. I am going to experiment on another day and find out how much time I can save by sucking some of the water out with a microfibre towel and compare the frizz.

Sunny_side_up
June 20th, 2010, 06:15 AM
My near APL layered hair was washed today - 11am now its coming up to 13:15 and its pretty much dry, slight moist areas of scalp. Its about 17 degrees c today.

Boudicca
June 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Decided to delete - off-topic

30isthenewblack
June 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I'm so glad others have this problem. I thought it was just me!

Tamara78
June 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
usually around three hours for me

Nicoliee
January 15th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I think it was 9 hours when I didn't use my turbie twist. Using that it's a couple of hours I can't remember how many till complete dryness.

katgib
January 15th, 2011, 03:31 AM
In the winter, about 6-8. In the summer, 3-4. My hair is only about to my shoulders.

Fethenwen
January 15th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I use a towel. So about two hours until it's dry. I may sit with a towel around my hair for about half an hour, and maybe even change the towel to absorb further moist.

Fufu
January 15th, 2011, 06:11 AM
my hair is at APL, takes about 2 hours to dry completely.

RadiantNeedle
January 15th, 2011, 07:33 AM
3-10 hours. It's weirdly variable.

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
When in a bun, over 12 hours. when down my hair takes maybe 3-4 hours to dry... 5 if we're talking complete dryness. the area above my nape seems to stay damp for the longest time. :ponder:

IndigoAsh
January 15th, 2011, 07:54 AM
On average, 6 hours for my hair to dry. It's also almost always over 85 degrees here.

Madora
January 15th, 2011, 08:26 AM
My hair is thick and a little over 40 inches long.

It takes about half an hour to dry, if I dry outside. Inside about 45 minutes.